JBLUA320
Topic Author

What Are The Odds? CO Question

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:45 am

Hey guys

I have a question to ask you, about the odds of something happening. I am booked for 7/31 on CO51 and CO1980 EWR-IAH-YYC (I know, its out of the way).

The IAH-YYC flight, with a block of just over 4 hours, is on a 737-300. I emailed Continental asking if it was at all possible to employ the -700 on the route, just so there is something to break up the monotony of a late night flight, and got a response back saying it was fowarded to "senior scheduling management" for consideration.

Now that I'm tracking CO1980 and other IAH-YYC flights, I've noticed that the -700s are starting to pop up, so far on 2 flights (CO1980 and CO1983- and no, its not the same plane- CO1980 departed today to Calgary at 8:50pm and CO1983 departed to Houston yesterday at 7:00am).

What are the odds that Continental management might have taken my suggestion under advisement? Or perhaps there have been complaints coming in about the -300? I don't really know- though so far, it looks like there is still a 733 scheduled for my flight.

What are the odds that there could be some aircraft switching looming ahead- or is it just by chance that 2 separate flights got switched?

If any CO employee could look into this, or knows how to contact scheduling directly, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks
Ben
JBLUA320

SafetyDude

RE: What Are The Odds? CO Question

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:55 am

The IAH-YYC flight, with a block of just over 4 hours, is on a 737-300. I emailed Continental asking if it was at all possible to employ the -700 on the route, just so there is something to break up the monotony of a late night flight, and got a response back saying it was fowarded to "senior scheduling management" for consideration.
I have never heard of an equipment change due to a requests, but if management was already thinking about it and really had a toss-up for it, I would not surprised if they changed it (provided that planes were available and they really had a toss up, just for "legal" reasons so people do not post back on this), but it is a long shot.

I am just curious, what is the advantage of the 733 over the 73G?

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

futureualpilot

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:59 am

Newer a/c, as far as advantages to the airline, I guess improved efficiency of the -700 would also benefit them.

As far as the original question, I guess its possible, but Im sure the airlines have people who analyze loads, and possible types and what aircraft would be best suited for what route who decide that. Its possible the -700s you saw were equip. swaps or subs, but I dont know...just my guess!
Life is better when you surf.

bigb

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:07 pm

what is the advantage of the 733 over the 73G?

In CO case, IFE are on the 700s while there isn't any on the 300s, seats are better in the 700s vs. the 300s in my opion. Thats just about it.
ETSN Baber, USN

JBLUA320
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:11 pm

In my opinion, the customer advantage to the 73G is that there is IFE (nice for night flights when most people are going to sleep- for those of us who dont regularly sleep on planes  Smile), thes eats are much more comfortable, and in my experiences, the 733s for CO are just in kinda ratty shape.

From the airline perspective, I imagine the 700 to be more efficient on fuel, though it does add a few seats to an already lightly loaded -300 (its about a 60% load right now i think).

Still... if the efficiency outweighs the extra few empty seats, itd be so much nicer to have a -700 as opposed to a -300.

And the senseless comment, i guess, is that I really just dont want to fly on a -300 for 4 hours!

JBLU

geoffm

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:19 pm

Chances of one customer influencing the decision making of a large company with more worries than a single customer requesting a particular aircraft? Nil. The reply was just to placate you and make you *believe* something was happening, even though customer services had just "filed" your email - filed meaning trashed. Sorry, but that is the harsh truth, and you did ask!

Geoff M.

iahcsr

Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:29 pm

The CO 733 and 73G have the same seating configuration :12/112, so no difference there. The type flying the route could vary based on day of the week... ie Tues may be scheduled a 733, while Wed may be a 73G. I don't know for a fact in this case, but I have noted it on a number of other routes.
Working very hard to Fly Right....