ND
Topic Author

Could CO Do EWR-DXB?

Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:18 pm

I was recently reading how CO uses 772ERs on their EWR-TLV route. This made me wonder; since Dubai is not too far from TLV (unless my perception of distances is distorted), could CO use their 772s (provided they had some available) to start a nonstop EWR-DXB?

If so, would there be a market for this? Has CO actually considered this route as a possibility?
ND - Hated By Many, Confronted By None

ConcordeBoy

RE: Could CO Do EWR-DXB?

Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:57 pm

could CO use their 772s (provided they had some available) to start a nonstop EWR-DXB?

Yep. Remember MH flew EWR-DXB with the 772ER for a long time

If so, would there be a market for this?

~refer to previous statement~

Has CO actually considered this route as a possibility?

Yes... along with lndia; the conclusion being that there's bigger/easier fish to fry
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

sleak76

Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:10 pm

ND,

Delta already beat CO with services from NYC to DXB. June 2001 saw the launching of a thrice-weekly MD11 JFK-DXB (via Cairo) as flight DL120.

After the Sept 11 attacks, DL120 and DL121 services were suspended due to low load-factors. Whilst the airline always said that they plan to return to DXB by first half of 2002, that has never materialized. One report I read was that the cargo demand for the route was good, yet passenger yields were lower than expected. I'm assuming at this point that should their flights did break-even, then it was probably from cargo demand than from passenger revenue.

As to currently any demand for CO to start services? Seriously doubt it. EK plying that route daily with discount prices for US passengers to fly Emirates to Dubai with enticements such as free hotel stays upon arrival into Dubai, and extra nights at 50% off, etc.

Here's an extract from ek.com

"...We are offering incredible value for money holiday packages starting from as little as US$29 per person per night, for all passengers who fly Emirates...this spectacular event in June 2004.

With a choice of 16...properties to choose from as well as the additional benefits of; arrival 'Meet and Assist', a welcome pack, chauffeur-driven hotel transfers and an extra 10kg luggage allowance on departure, these Emirates DSS 2004 packages make excellent value for money."

No private carrier (such as CO or DL) can possibly match this offer and still ply the route with a decent profit and a decent return on their aircraft's investment. EK can cause it government-owned. US carriers will find it hard to play against that.

Quite unfortunate, but true.

'Place your ad here'. Only $9.95 per post made.

ishky15

Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:29 pm

Under different circumstances, I definitely think that it would be a smart move for Continental to start Newark to Dubai flights. But with Emirates' arrival on the route, which they are sure to fight hard to keep theirs for at least the beginning, the lack of available widebodies in their fleet, and the fact that, as Concorde Boy mentioned, there's bigger/easier fish to fry, I don't think we'll see them flying there for a while.

scottysair

Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:57 am

Sleak76,

Yes, I remember with those flights from JFK-CAI-DXB way back of before 9/11 and it is thrice weekly flight to Egypt flight. I remember it was MD-11 aircraft from JFK-CAI-DXB and the next morning will way back from DXB-CAI-JFK.

Regards

ContinentalEWR

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:35 am

Delta never operated JFK-DXB nonstop. The route, with an MD11 was flown as JFK-CAI-DXB-CAI-JFK.

Delta has restarted JFK-TLV flights, only this time, nonstop, in the summer of 2001 with MD11's. Prior to this, it flew JFK-ORY-TLV but dropped this in 1994. The TLV route was axed in September 2001.

Malaysia Airlines flew EWR-DXB. The 777 has plenty of range to do it.

ContinentalEWR

aa61hvy

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:40 am

MH still does EWR-DXB-KUL. I saw it take off 2 weeks ago
Go big or go home

Horus

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:47 am

MH still does EWR-DXB-KUL

Apparently this route will be terminated later this year as MH starts its new service to New York (via Stockholm) as well as strong competition on the route from EK (daily; A345).

I remember with those flights from JFK-CAI-DXB way back of before 9/11 and it is thrice weekly flight to Egypt flight. I remember it was MD-11 aircraft from JFK-CAI-DXB and the next morning will way back from DXB-CAI-JFK.

Sure miss those flights (as well as TWA's 6x weekly 763 flights)  Sad

Horus

EGYPT: A 7,000 Year Old Civilisation

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos