Cory6188
Topic Author

Why Do Ticket Agents Type So Much?

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:06 pm

When my family was checking in for our flight to PVR from EWR back in April, I could have sworn that the CO agent at the counter was typing in the Declaration of Independence by heart in order to pull up our reservation and print out the boarding passes. The bag tags were another story, however, with the entire novel of War and Peace being necessary for 2 tags. How come it takes a professionally trained agent loads of typing to pull up a reservation that I could do in a few clicks online?

AA777DFW

RE: Why Do Ticket Agents Type So Much?

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:10 pm

I know what you mean, it feels like your about to go to sleep or something.  Nuts

Mike77

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:19 pm

I have never worked at an airport, but I do work at a hotel at the front desk. I often have guests ask me why I am typing on the computer so much and why it takes so long. There are many different reasons as to why. When I spend forever typing, it is usually because I cannot locate the guest's reservation. Sometimes the res gets stuck in the system between the main booking source and my terminal at the front desk. And sometimes the guest name is misspelled in the reservation and I have to check several different sources to try and locate it. Sometimes I do not tell the guest that I cannot locate the reservation, because usually they become rude, worried and/or annoyed that the res is not popping up right away. Therefore, to avoid dealing with worrying a guest unnecessarily, I will just type away until I am able to access what I am looking for. My point is, that I doubt very much the employee you dealt with was trying to make your life difficult or seem incompetent. He/she was most likely trying to get you on your way as soon as possible.

Michael

[Edited 2004-07-31 05:20:48]

JBirdAV8r

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:23 pm

The short answer is most computer equipment there is so old and antiquated that it's still command-line based. No Windows there.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Cory6188
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:27 pm

I'm not complaining; the CO agent was very nice. I'm just making an observation.

yanksn4

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:33 pm

I was watching a program a few years ago on msnbc about the industry and when they had this expert talk about the ticket agents I loved this line: "For all we know, they could be programing a nuclear missle with how much they type"
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

vsfullthrottle

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:42 pm

Not all check in processes are as simple as each other. It will all depend on how many people traveling, if the people are booked together, if you have seats etc.... On top of that if you ever saw the format that airlines use to check in then you would understand. There are quite a few different formats out there such as Sabre, Shares, etc......

VSFT

HPA320

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:54 pm

Well, just like Mike77 said.

There are many factors.

Maybe we are putting some remarks on your reservation regarding your bad behavior to the agents  Innocent
America West Airlines. 1983-2005. The Journey Continues...

aussie747

Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:56 pm

As a person who starts a booking from scratch for our corporate company there are many things to type in to the system, and yes it seems that why are typing forever. If the below is just to start up a booking I could only imagine what a check in agent has to do especially id there any complications

Name, Contact Addresses numbers and email addresses, Look at availability with all different airlines, find connections, Cross check with fare databases to ensure correct booking class,deal codes, fare basis, taxes, additional surcharge,penalties, correct routing, transfers, stopovers, etc. Hold seats, set ticketing dates, advise passport and visa info to airlines, assign seating , frequent flyer numbers advise to assciated airlines, advise meal preferences, total complete party messages, in remarks enter info to pax about fare info, ticketing date, cost, via info, destinational info, look up hotels in database, request hotel, book transfers and cars and advise all relevant info and then some.

And the pax has the audacity to ask have you finished yet!!!! after only a couple of things has been completed.

And you only thought it just involves holding some seats!!! LOL

cancidas

Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:29 pm

because of the stupid entry codes for sabre. i swear, that program is so damn complicated!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Venezuela747

Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:49 pm

Trust me you haven't seen an agent type untill you try to get vouchers for unused tickets and then try to buy tickets with those vouchers. They take forever. But as you all said, they all don't have Windows XP
ROLL TIDE!!!

aussie747

Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:54 pm

This reminds me of a scene in the movie Meet the Parents when Ben Stiller is requiring to get home sooner, and the agent is furiously typing at 200 words a minute quite loudly at the keyboard trying to find a flight for him, meanwhile Ben is becoming infuriated at her attitude.

HPA320

Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:57 pm

Yup, many airlines use Shares.

av8rphx

Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:10 pm

We, (HP and YV) use QIK here in PHX which is a frontend for SHARES. Makes things quite a bit easier and less time consuming. Even having a frontend,sometimes we are forced to type for what seems like an endless amount of time. In my experience,the most common issue seems to be lost reservations.

OttoPylit

Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:10 pm

Well, anytime I have checked someone in, a typical scenario would be to pull the customer's reservation up, verify the destination, check e-ticket and ensure it is hooked to the reservation and to see if there are any other charges that need to be collected, ask how many bags are being checked, load that number into the bag tag template, check seats assigned, then check to see if any more preferable seats have come available. If so, I ask the passenger if they are happy with their window/center/aisle seat and if not, there is one available at (enter seat assignment here). Whether the passenger wants the seat change or not will cause a little more typing, I then request the boarding passes and bingo, you are done and on your...dangit, stupid computer is saying that your e-ticket and current reservation are not the same, and I already know that because there has been a schedule change and it was reflected in the e-ticket verification. So now I have to override that. Little more typing ensues. Ok, now you are done and on your way.

Every now and then, if I have a little time, I may program a nuclear missle or two or add a section to the Declaration of Independence.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

tekelberry

Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:42 pm

I love how the airlines make it so easy for customers to check themselves in online and at kiosks but make ticket agents type @ 200 WPM to accomplish the same task.

XNV

Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:27 pm

For any of you who have never worked check-in, you have NO idea what can be involved.

Take for example checking in a family of four who are not booked on the same PNR (file).

First of all, you have to pull up each file to make sure the passengers are booked correctly.

Of course, no one's frequent flyer number is on file, so you have to enter each one individually, end the file, and pull up the next file. Do that for all four of them.

They each have electronic tickets, but when they changed their reservation the e-ticket wasn't revalidated so you have to do that on each file, end it, and pull up the next one.

So then you check each person in and they say "oh, we're connecting to another flight, can you tag our bags through?" Of course, this is not on the file.

So then you have to un-check in each of them, cancel each bag tag (and in Sabre this involves typing in each bag tag number manually), then pull up each reservation again and add their connecting flights that were not on the file and end each file, do that for all four people.

THEN check them in again and hope your bag tags and boarding passes print properly.

And of course, no one is sitting together so you have to change all of their seats - pull up the seat map and change everyone around.

Even in the newest version of Quick Sabre, it takes a lot of typing to accomplish this. Personally I think it's faster to do most of it in native Sabre.

For the most part, check-in is straightforward and fast.

Go easy on your agent next time you check in. There's a lot more going on than you think.

wilcharl

Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:50 pm

Everyone knows they are typing nasty notes about the pax in the PNR... Pax was a looser tried to check 3 bags in stated he was a platinum/gold/silver member and his membership catagory was only copper.... its a conspiercey they sit there and type nasty notes about every pax

Disclaimier: I do not seriously believe this conspiercy theroy though i have seen some funny things in pax PNRs

AirframeAS

Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:36 pm

because of the stupid entry codes for sabre. i swear, that program is so damn complicated!

I agree! Thats why AS created IMAGE. IMAGE gets its information from Sabre still. Sabre is in the background behind IMAGE. Its hard to explain how that works since Im not a IT person. But anyway, it was easier to use and alot faster. Less typing to do but the damn system crashes once a week. Id use IMAGE over Sabre any day.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Cory6188
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:44 pm

Once again, I'm not criticizing the ticket agents or complaining. I'm just wondering why it takes so much typing.

SlamClick

Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:18 pm

My airline has a program that uses SABER to give crewmembers their trips, do monthly bidding, picking up trips from open time, payroll information and so on. Without an aftermarket frontend for it, it is very difficult to use. Saber gets bogged down all the time and stray keystrokes can send you places from which there is no getting back.

On the login page, there is a help desk number. I called them once and the guy said "oh, it is a [our program] question. We are not allowed to see any [our program] pages. I can't help you with that."

Blame Saber Systems.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

4jaded

Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:33 pm

Depending on the program they were using at that airport they could be tabbing thru a pop up mask... Searching for the entry to find the pop up mask to tab thru, laying out long lines of code in order to get it all done at once and then having to go back and correct errors so the computer would take the entry, or taking a computer driven required lesson while on duty.
The other possibility of course is that they were just doing a skit from Airplane to make themselves look impressive and were just sharpening their claws on the keyboard..

AMS

Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:37 pm

Keep in mind that most Travel agents have to type the full-comments to pull up availability etc. Most Airlines use a Fast/quick reservation system. That is why most of the time Travel agents have to type a lot, while most Airline reservations reps don't.

Regards,
AMS

citationjet

Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:05 pm

I have asked my wife the same question. She worked ticket counter for AA for 12 years. The system has to be made MUCH simplier to accomodate self-service check-in.
The airline reservations system is based on an old command line based entry.

There was a skit on Saturday night live many years ago. The ticket agent asked "Smoking or non smoking?" The pax replied "Smoking". The agent then proceeded to type furiously for about 90 seconds. The pax/actor patiently watched in amazement at the lengthy process. Finally he asked, Why don't you just type in a Y or N?
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Caymanair

Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:14 pm

Havent you ever watched the movie Soul Plane? Its because agents are always playing computer games!!!!!!!!!!!! (just kidding)

--Donovon

airtran737

Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:29 pm

It's because we're typing messages about you so that the other agents can read what an a-hole you are. Also we're busy screwing up your return part of your ticket, that way your wonderful trip can end on a pleasant note. We also type comments into you PNR when you stand at the counter and throw a fit in our face. The ticket agent may be smiling at you and trying to apologize, but really they're letting future employees who may have to deal with you, that you're an a-hole, and that 90% of the stuff you say is bogus.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

HPA320

Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:31 pm

Another thing that may happen is that the passenger was rerouted during their outbound with another carrier but the agents didn't place the original flights at the end of the whole reservation.

Then what happens? Well, the system assumes the passenger was a NO SHOW and DELETES THE WHOLE reservation, including the return.

So, at the end, the passenger shows up at your ticket counter and... hmm... HE HAS NO RESERVATION because it was cancelled and your flight is FULL!!!!!!

So, you have to figure out a way in order to help that customer.

So, you have to start typing and look for an answer.

Av8rPHX, has this ever happened to you?

Regards,

OttoPylit

Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:45 pm

Wilcharl,

Actually, here at Delta we do have the ability to send messages to each other, similar to an Instant Message. It comes in handy, for instance, if I am having a problem with a passenger wanting to check extra bags or change a flight and refusing to pay any fees, instead of calling down the line I can send a message to a supervisor or agent in charge at the other end of the counter requesting that they discreetly head down my way as I have a problematic passenger. Or I may be telling another male coworker, "Hey, check out the girl in the yellow shirt. Think they are real?" lol Its very helpful.

Then of course, if you are problematic, we are documenting your reservation and/or your frequent flier account with EVERYTHING that you are saying. So the next time you complain or if you try to pull a fast one on us(some frequent fliers try it) we may know about it ahead of time or find out quickly.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

zrs70

Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:56 pm

All this being said....

Anyone remember easysabre? It was the online sabre program that was folded into travelocity a few years ago. Easysabre was there before most airlines had their own websites.

Easysabre required lots of typing to process a reservation. But boy was it powerful. It was so much better than any public website today. Once you knew the typing, it was cake. And, as I said, it was far superior when making complex reservations.

Back to the topic at hand.... I understand how a family of four on separate records can be cumbersome. Yet, as we all know, at times this happens with solo pax when a burp comes up in the reservation.

But keep in mind that those same burps will throw off on-line and kiosk check in as well. (Ever get a screen that says, "Please go to counter"?)
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

stirling

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:25 am

once you get all the 'code', easysabre was infinitely better than ANYTHING on the web today. hands down.

A*/DFWSAT/12AUG/AA

i haven't done it in years...
Delete this User

elwood64151

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:31 am

This is why I like OpenSkies:

Type in the command line (I forget what it is anymore, I think it's p*) and their last name, and it pulls up anyone on the flight you're looking at with that last name. You just confirm the first name with their ID, and you've got their reservation. Type in the (short) command to check-in the passenger, and it asks how many bags to put on. Type in the number of bags, the boarding pass and bag tags print out; mark whether the passenger is a selectee, staple the boarding pass to the ticket jacket, hand it to the passenger, and tell them to have a wonderful flight...

Takes about twenty-five keystrokes.

If they give you any BS, you simply need to type in comments on by typing in C- (for general comments), CM- (for manifest comments), and there are a couple others that I forget.

Gotta' love simplicity...
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

SWA TPA

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:42 am

At WN our procedures are fairly straight forward and fast.
Usually any excess typing on my end is caused due to the fact that I had a brain fart and cant remember the format I need therefore I am trying all kinds of variations on that format until I stumble upon the right one  Smile
Or I may just be having a bad typing moment and having to backspace and do alot of correcting!  Big grin
We do also document your record if anything out of the normal comes up with your check-in. For instance if your bag is within a few pounds of the limit and this is your outbound trip I will make you aware of the 70lb limit and let you know if its overweight on your return there is a 45$ charge. Then I document your record to the fact so on your return if your bag is over 70lbs and the agent tries to charge you 45$, you cant argue that the agent in TPA didnt tell you that and you didnt know so it's WN's fault. That agent can simply read the record and say yes we did tell you!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

northwestair

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:42 am

What takes forever for me is having to type all of the Pax's Passport information into his/her PNR. And then you ask yourself what was their country code. I know anytime we have International Pax's we have to check thier Passport and make sure they have all of the proper Doc's. We can type in the computer and find out if they need a Visa or not. Most of the time you memorize who needs what for what countries.
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

AMS

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:46 am

Northwestair,

Don't you have automatic passport readers in Poland?
Here at AMS airport we have automatic passport readers which will automatically transfers all the passport information to the PNR

This is quite handy for the USA/UK regarding the API information.

Regards,
AMS

AIR757200

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:48 am

If the passenger has a flawless reservation and is travelling on the flight they are suppose to be (no standby, etc.)... the check-in command is very simple:

(Sabre/AA)

GB-FLT-LASTNM/#of bags ... takes less than 10 seconds to type...

But when passengers start messing around with their reservations; extra work may be required.

Reissuing tickets require a lot of typing simply because you are reconstructing the fare calculation (which AA's new system "TREX" introduced a few years ago really cuts down on that time-- thank god).

Skyway1

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:59 am

Have you ever used NativeSabre???? Geesh.....ticketing a travel voucher for instance you have to type in 30 or 40 characters.

Chris
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

Skyway1

Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:11 am

Welll.. didn't have time to read the above comments  Nuts  Nuts

Everybody that uses NativeSabre has made some good points....

I actually had a young passenger this morning that called our res inquiring about a schedule change...of course they did a PQRS(our Sabre users know what this is) with a TL limit. Of course it knocked her return out which of course was booked 210 out of 200...which I had to fix.....DAMMIT!! I especially loved the comments about multiple parties travelling on different tickets.....we get that all the time!!

Chris

Nuts  Nuts
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

jerion

Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:20 am

I love "Meet the Parents" when Gaylord 'Greg' Focker (Ben Stiller) wants to go home to Chicago. The agent is typing like MAD for about five minutes with a HUGE smile on her face!

Later, the boarding area is empty (except for Focker) and she gets on the PA "Now boarding rows 20 and higher please..." Ben Stiller goes up with his ticket, but has row 19. She asks that he STEP aside because she has not called that row! She's soooo agitated.

HILARIOUS!

Smile

Jerion
L10/D9S/D10/M80/M88/732/733/734/735/73G/738/72S/757/762/763/320/319/318/ERJ

Gib

Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:29 am

Meet the Parents IS HILARIOUS... Have ya'll heard about the sequel?? (sp?)..

"Meet the Fockers"...

That should be great...

Oh..and btw... I have 20 years airport and agency experience on System I, PARS, DATAS II, Apollo and Sabre... ...and yes, there is much to type, but as my friends said early on in this post....it all depends on the indidual PNR/circumstances, as to the # of keystrokes....

Cheers & Beers for Years...

Gib

globetrekker

Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:26 am

Well I work for KLM Ground services and we handle several airlines besides KLM, such as Continental, Delta, Varig and several charters. Each airline have their own system and I know a few. KL has it's own, called CODECO in which you can check-in and with a simple entry switch to the reservation system (CORDA). It does require a good bit of typing. For instance: Mr & Mrs. Kasimoto are traveling from Aruba-Amsterdam-KG / VHHH), China - Hong Kong AND OLD: Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) (closed), China - Hong Kong">HKG with 3 pieces of luggage weighing 60 KG and their 2 children on KL 743 (AUA-AMS) and then connecting on KL 887. However they just came in from Miami on AA 1407 and transferring at AUA. Aruba Airport requires you to collect your bags and re-check at your designated airline.

- I have to pull up the flight first: *kl0743/01aug/aua*@I (flight, date, station)

- Then start check-in: kas1m1f2c3/60amshn [kas=first letters of the surname] [1m1f2c=1 male, 1 female, 2 children] [3/60=3 pc of luggage weighing 60 kilos] [ams=destination Amsterdam] [h=bookings class] [n=non smoking]

- Select passengers name and cross check them with passport and then enter the API (Advanced Passenger Info = Passport number, nationality etc.)

- If the onward journey is not in the system I have to enter it by typing:
1-4/o/kl888/02aug/hkg/h/ok [1-4=the 4 pax] [o=Onward] [kl 888 = flt from AMS-KG / VHHH), China - Hong Kong AND OLD: Hong Kong - Kai Tak International (HKG / VHHH) (closed), China - Hong Kong">HKG] [02aug=departure date of onward flight] [hkg - Hong Kong] [h=booking class] [ok=Ticket status ok. Can be rq(request) if on waitlist or sa (Seat Available) if non-revver]

- Pax inbound from another destination and transferring at AUA have tax exempt, so you are required to put in inbound info.
1-4/in/aa1407/01aug/mia/q/ok (same info as above,except q=bookings class on AA)

- To make seat changes: @c/24defg*11ab12ab (changed seats from 24defg to 11ab and 12ab.

- To print luggage tags=#L and boardingpass=@B

And this is a simple check-in!!

At Schiphol you now have AXIS that sits on top of CODECO that make it much more user friendly. Besides KLM's DCS, I work with CO Sonic (hate it), Sabre, PARS and the easiest system of all: Videcom's SEATS.

I know, I know a lot to read, but just wanted to give you some inside information of what CSA's do.

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

SWA TPA

Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:34 am

Oh my goodness GlobeTrekker!
That first one is just to pull up a res?
All we do is-

*1324-Smith/J Flight number and pax name!

If there is more than one smith/J you do *2 (assuming the one you want is on line 2)

You then just flip over into your "S" screen, transfer the record over, fill in the number of bags, hit enter. Once the computer is done printing the bag tags it automatically goes into the boarding screen, you pick who you want boarded and hit retrieve. Your done.
Buh-bye...

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

globetrekker

Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:52 am

How I wish my system was like yours...sounds like heaven!  Big thumbs up

jerion

Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:04 am

"STEP ASIDE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!"

Smile
L10/D9S/D10/M80/M88/732/733/734/735/73G/738/72S/757/762/763/320/319/318/ERJ

SWA TPA

Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:14 am

Step aside please? Huh? I'm afraid I didn't get that one  Sad

Globe Trekker- We use a system called SAAS. I think it's a derivative of Sabre.

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

globetrekker

Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:43 am

Thanks for the info SWA TPA.

And just like SWA TPA, I didn't get that "STEP ASIDE PLEASE!!!!!!!!" comment.

Please feel free to explain....

GT

MD11Engineer

Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:58 am

When I was still in pax handling for LH, I used the AMADEUS system. Somewhere I still have a manual with all the commands. You had to remember lots of cryptic commands to use it, it was worse than the old MS DOS....

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

DAYGS

Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:02 am

SAAS is the old Braniff computer system. (The very first Braniff). It was called "COWBOY." It was purchased in the 80's by AMR and moved to TUL where it was operated for a host of smaller carriers. In the 90's the software was moved to the SABRE mainframe, and the SAAS Mainframes were turned off. So, basically it's still SAAS but gets all it's processing power from SABRE.>

SWA TPA

Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:22 am

Wow DAYGS! Thanks for the history lesson!

Very interesting to know it started with Braniff  Smile
I thought it had something to do with Sabre.....

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

DAYGS

Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:30 am

When the computer system at Braniff went down, the agent would say "I'm sorry, I can't help you right now, My Cowboy just went down on me." (I'm told this is true by a former BN employee!)

SWA TPA

Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:52 am

LOL!!! Too funny  Smile

When you think about it, it's kind of ironic that SAAS was originally a Braniff thing and now we at WN use it long after Braniff is gone....

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....