GRZ-AIR
Topic Author

Can Pilots Have A Smoke In The Cockpit?

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:19 am

Hello all... Smokin cool

I was just wondering what company policies there are considering that?

It's probably not allowed, right?

Cheers and good night,

jstflyin  Smokin cool

[Edited 2004-07-31 23:37:39]
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

caravelle

RE: Can Pilots Have A Smoke In The Cockpit?

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:31 am

Not allowed, and, in my experience, doesn't happen. Once hitting tarmac, everything can happen, though.
I've smelt fumes upfront departing from way back in the cabin, but never during actual flight....

- caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

SafetyDude

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:34 am

I believe that AF might allow it.

Could this topic be an example of abuse of smilies?

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

MD11Engineer

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:38 am

Depends on the company policy, most American and European carriers don´t allow it, though once I found a half smoked huge cigar in the Captain´s side bin of one of our US registered freighters . Older planes still have ashtrays installed.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

GRZ-AIR
Topic Author

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:39 am

I have seen it happen, so I was wondering!

I don't think it is a problem..if both pilots are daccord with it!

With todays superlocked Flight Deck doors no smoke should be able to "break" into the pax section  Big grin ...

cheers jstflyin

captaingomes

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:44 am

Some airlines, such as Vietnam Airlines, allow it.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

N243NW

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:56 am

I remember seeing a cockpit picture where the flight deck was filled with thick cigarette smoke. Forgot which airline, though. Maybe someone can dig it up.
-N243NW Big grin
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

tbanger

Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:26 am

Not in Oz.

Rex doesn't allow a pilot to smoke in uniform in public. All smoking is prohibited on board all public transport vehicles in Australia.

If I owned Rex, then I would even ban eating in the cockpit. It costs us thousands a year in repairs to the Audio Control Panels which is located directly under the cup holder. Another is the GPS controller. Most common faults with both of these units is from spilled drinks or biscuit crumbs.  Angry

Maybe I would allow bottled water, if they asked me real nicely. Big grin

av757

Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:29 am

AV policy prohibits smoking for passengers and all crew members anywhere on board any company airplane whether on ground or inflight.

AV757

ILUV767

Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:37 am

Alaska Airlines wont hire someone if they use Tabacco products.

I L U V 7 6 7

jcs17

Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:34 am

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but nicotine consumption while at high altitudes can adversly effect ones performance in the air as compared to at ground level. I don't know if this is true or not, I think I read something about it ground school. It might just be unpressurized aircraft, but even in commercial jets the a/c is usually pressurized to 10000ft.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

SDFOH

Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:51 am

I have talked to a pilot that flew the dornier 328. He said that on long taxis or ground holds he has been known to fire up a smoke. If you leave the burger hole open, the pos pressure will force the smoke right out of the a/c, pretty handy for those long ground times.

POSITIVE RATE

Smoking

Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:34 pm

"Alaska Airlines wont hire someone if they use Tabacco products."

That's pretty harsh if you ask me. What's their reasoning behind that? Could even be considered descrimination.

wgw2707

Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:43 pm

I would agree that the AS policy of not hiring tobacco users is discriminatory, but unfortunately the courts do not share my opinion...

-WGW2707

arkhem

Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:49 pm

Positive rate, I presume their policy is such because of health insurance costs, can anyone confirm/deny? Or do they just 'pride' themselves because of their puff-free staff? I believe there was a recent topic posted by someone who applied for a job at Alaska airlines and was turned down because of their smoking habits. I certainly won't be working for them, not that I would want to work there anyway...lol

flykal

Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:56 pm

Not sure if there is any company policy regarding that for KE (don't have a FOM at home), but I have entered the cockpit on a couple of occasions to the smell of smoke. Could be from either the maintenance guys or previous flight crew.

Know a couple of F/O's who have complained regarding their Captain smoking on a longhaul too, mostly on cargo flights though.
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

Ejazz

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:13 pm

Smoking in the flight deck was widespread on Singapore Airlines but is now supposedly not allowed although no-one takes much notice including quite a few Management Crew.

I don't mind people lighting up at all and would prefer the First Officer to have a smoke if he needs it rather than suffer from any withdrawls during critical phases of flight.
Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

JBirdAV8r

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:20 pm

Smoking is the epitome of weakness and ignorance....there is NO health benefit whatsoever to smoking a cigarette. None.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

trickijedi

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:26 pm

N243NW,

I think that pic may have been removed from the database because it got the photographer who took it into some kind of trouble in another discussion forum.

I do remember the pic though.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

N503JB

Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:55 pm

Air India & Turkish pilot does smoke in the cockpit but no idea the company allowed or not.

Cheers
N503JB
HKIA Ramp Spotters

SV777KiloAlpha

Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:37 pm

I was flying on MEA from Milan to Beirut last June and some passengers and F/As took turns smoking in the cockpit since it was a "Non-Smoking Flight"

LOL.

Big grin
HZ-AKA
PPL since 2006

squirrel83

Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:39 pm

I have seen it happen as well here in the states. And Cargo as well ashing in a cup of water in the flight deck. . . At the time it never crossed my mind due to the fact that they were all in the open in doing it so I assumed it must be allowed.
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

BMAbound

Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:57 pm

Another carrier that allows smoking is CargoLion (Methinks it doesn't exist anymore). Anyways, I saw a documentary about the life of a freight pilot and the captain on the DC-8 smoked.

johan
Altitude is Insurance - Get Insured

Loadsheet

Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:15 pm

after working some years as Ramp Agent:

No Smoking:
Air France, Finnair, Air Dolomiti, Air Baltic,

Smoking ( if allowed or not - pls ask somebody else )
Turkish Airlines, Alitalia ( with cigar !!! ), Adria, Cyprus, Onur Air, Pegasus; but the most airlines mentioned here smoked in cabin during turnaround, not in the cockpit except the first two )

buckfifty

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:11 pm

AF pilots can drink wine in the cockpit as part of their meal. About as far as you can go.

FinnWings

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:50 pm

Here in Northern-Europe many countries have very strict laws considering of smoking. Smokers are used to follow these rules as smoking is so restricted generally in these countries not only in the aircraft. I didn't see the crews of SK/AY smoking or found any cigarettes from the aircraft when I was an aircraft cleaner. Smoking seemed to be very common among the crews of Southern-European airlines and some Central-European major airlines as well.

Even flights were non-smoking, it was common to see the whole crew sitting in the cabin during turnaround and smoking. When passengers boarded the smoke was still very well visible. That was very annoying for us, but even more for passengers.

A couple of times airport authorities noticed that crews where smoking on board and they kicked those out during the turnaround as they were violating airport rules.

In our culture smokers respect non-smokers a lot and therefore they follow the rules very well. It is very big mistake here if you broke those rules... therefore, those crews who smoke on board here don't even understand how arrogant and disrespectful their behaviour is in the eyes of Finnish passengers.

What comes to smoking in the cockpit, I haven't ever found evidences of that but heard stories... If the pilots are smoking on board, usually they will do it in the cabin with F/As during turnaround of the aircraft.

Best Regards,
FinnWings

[Edited 2004-08-01 11:51:52]

Imonti

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:57 pm

I agree with JBird, my mom smokes, terrible, im stopping she says, but that is beside the point, as I said if you ever have any problems from it I will not raise a finger to help you. Um smoking basically screws you up, airlines pay for pilots training and things, they smoke, get sick, cant pass medical exams and bam are then asked to leave after the airline has spent so much cash on training them. Quite simple actually, unless you are exceptionally fit, in which some casses very moderate smoking has then had minor effects, which in turn would still be ok to pass a medical exam.

SN-A330

Sun Aug 01, 2004 6:58 pm

I've seen the pilots smoke during flight only on 2 carriers:
- Olympic Airways
- MNG Airlines

Regards, SN-A330
I would rather be flying...

kilavoud

Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:23 pm

I was allowed for about ten minutes in the cockpit when flying back from Mexico, between Madrid and Paris, flying over the southern part of France, in a DC-10 of Aeromexico. Many clouds outside down below the plane and a big cloud of smoke inside the cockpit, but it was 20 years ago.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

wing

Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:13 pm

Smoking in the cockpit depends on the regulations of the airlines.In Turkey we started to adopt some rules about the smoking in accordance with EU and adopting its rules.Now its not allowed to smoke in public places and closed places.

But ofcourse its not easy for people who earned the nickname "smoking like Turks" to change some habits as quickly as posible.I personally havent even tasted what a cigarette tastes like.I hate smokers around me and it disturbs me very much.But there are people working in my airline who smokes very heavily and can not stand without smoking for 10 -12 hours of working.So what we do is allow them smoke quickly during turnarounds when the aircraft is not refueling.I personally urge the FA's to wash hands after smoking since I don't want to be served with that hands.Also use airfreshener in the cabin.

The smoker captains smoke in the cockpit during turnaround,they don't want to be sighted in the cabin.Smoking in the cockpit during the flight is not allowed anymore.Since smoking is not allowed all tranport vehichles of Turkish registration.

Guys; smoking is a very ugly habbit.It doesnt make you look cool butmakes you less attractive.Your hair and clothes smells bad and you just cant imagine how awful is to kiss a smoking person.My advise as an elder brother (if you accept me as one) please don't even taste it,if you are smoking please quit it while its still early.Life is long and beautiful don't shorten it by smoking.Have fun,Best Regards.WING
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

AirframeAS

Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:36 pm

I presume their policy is such because of health insurance costs, can anyone confirm/deny?

At AS, yes it has alot to do with cost cutting savings on heath insurance premiums. This has been discussed before in a different thread.

It is not discrimination nor a harsh rule because AS is not government owned. The way AS does this practice is perfectly legal. AS has never been sued for discrimination for this practice. Pretty standard stuff if you ask me. Its just the way AS is, they have had this policy in effect for a quite a longgggg time. Remember, AS can hire whoever they want, its their company.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

9A-CTK

Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:37 pm

I recently flew OU Croatia Airlines SPU-AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA and several times during the flight it started smelling of cigarette smoke. It was very annoying, especially given the fact that my 2-year-old son has an allergy problem.

On arrival, just as ordered, the captain showed up next to me on the peoplemover. I asked him whether he had smoked during the flight, which he confirmed. I turned my head away from him, and would not talk to him for the rest of the "ride" - what an arrogant thing to do to smoke for the pleasure of one, to the expense of 140.

Apparently it is allowed, and I was unable to find any EU law prohibiting smoking in cockpits when flying to/from the EU.

I have seen arguments advocating the allowing of smoking, so pilots can get their fix to fly "saver". I say that's utter BS. Do surgeons smoke on the job? Other people in important functions?

I also say out-rule the eating by pilots during flights shorter than 6 hours as well. Boys, concentrate on the flying, and time your eating just like other professionals do on their jobs. Enough of that pilot arrogance.

KLMyank

Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:41 pm

When Jumpseating on CY last year, the Captain and F/O chain smoked all the way from LCA to AMS. They were joined in the cockpit by the cabin crew at regular intervals. I seem to remember that when CY banned smoking for pax, the crew almost went on strike until they were allowed to smoke in one galley, and the cockpit crews seemed to smoke whenever they felt like it.
Also, on Garuda, I was the only passenger in the upper deck, and asked the purser if I could have a smoke. She smiled and said, "not in your seat, but come to the cockpit and smoke with the captain". Cue 4 flight crew and about 4 F/As stuffed into the cockpit, all puffing away on sempoernas!!!
There is also a KLM pilot who is known to complete his after takeoff "shag" (rollup) after he completes the after takeoff checklist....
Nb I have now stopped smoking, and dont recommend it....

cessnalady

Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:04 am

I've been a jumpseat guest in MX's cockpits three or four times. In one of these occasions, the commander did not allow smoking in 'his' cockpit (which I applauded). The rest, the cockpit was a chattery smoke-filled crowded place for long segments of the flight.

Marie

Bigfoot

Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:31 am

Seen it on Alitalia, JAT and Tarom...
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change

FoxBravo

Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:41 am

I remember a particularly laid-back Alitalia flight from Lisbon to Rome back in 1994. I was seated in the front row of economy, and the first class section was empty. For most of the flight, the cockpit door was wide open and the F/O was sitting in first class, smoking (I guess the captain was not a smoker!). Needless to say, no one batted an eyelash when I wandered up to have a look at the flight deck.  Smile
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:53 am

My friend jumpseated on Iran Air. The Captain chainsmoked all the way to the landing.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

sleak76

Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:01 am

(I guess the captain was not a smoker!)

Good point.

Same with Kuwait Airways - depends on the captain. Though legally no one is allowed to smoke anywhere on board. But..

If the captain smokes, he lights up (if the F/O doesnt make a fuss about it). If the F/O smokes, then he joins the captain. If the crew smoke, and the captain doesn't mind them in the cockpit, then they join in there for their regular 'whiff'.

If the captain is no smoker, but the F/O is, then tough break to the F/O and the cabin crew on board. Basically all depends on the captain.

(But.. with all this, I'm told.. the captain better make sure corporate HQ dont find up about this otherwise it'll be his badge getting a good 'whiff').  Big thumbs up
'Place your ad here'. Only $9.95 per post made.

Olympic A-340

Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:06 am

Ditto Olympic Airlines....considering 99.9% of Greece smokes it goes without saying that the majority of crews do as well. I recall seeing a picture of a cockpit of one of their A-340s and both the pilot and copilot had their Marlboro packs "out and available..."

elmir

Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:22 am

Hello all...

It's probably not allowed, right?

sleak76

Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:14 am

I think, in general, its more of civil avation authorities' policies that airline have adopted that - rather than the airlines' policies themselves (their own initiatives).

IMO, airlines have adopted this rule either under pressure from their respective CAA or have adopted it after the CAA has placed rules/laws our-right to force airlines to comply with international standards.

Some airlines, though, have been quicker and adopted a no-smoking before their CAA took initiative on that. But I think, for the most, it was a CAA policy more than airlines'.

(I believe at one point, IATA too, has encouraged this move)

That's why in different countries, some airlines allow crew to smoke onboard during a 90 min turnaround, whereas other airlines wont allow it and crew will have to smoke inside the airport terminal itself (where permitted). I think it's pretty much what that airline's country CAA states legal/illegal.

Cheers.
'Place your ad here'. Only $9.95 per post made.

GRZ-AIR
Topic Author

Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:27 am

Thanks guys for all the nice responses...

Thing is, I have experienced a "smoking Captain" (due to cigarettes) more than twice during 2-3 hour flights while riding the jumpseat. I didn't mind..and the F/O pretended not to "see" it. On my last jumpseat ride, the F/A popped into the flight deck shortly after the Cpt had lid his cigarette, she froze and he said "want one ?" - she then closed the door again ...  Smile Smile Smile , it was funny!

cheers Jstflyin

pilotpip

Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:39 am

I didn't really see anybody mention the extra costs it adds to maintinance. "North Star Over My Shoulder" by Cpt Bob Buck mentions that TWA banned pilots from smoking in the cockpit back in the 1970s if I recall. He mentioned the tar from the cigarettes causing a higher failure rate in gyroscopic instrumetnts and the reduced visibility through the glass.
DMI

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos