David T
Topic Author

China Airlines B-165

Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:18 pm

Good morning,

I see there is a newly loaded picture of the China Airlines B-165 which ended up in the drink after skidding off the runway at Tai Kak. I have several questions which come to mind...

1) I vaguely recall hearing that the tail was removed by explosive force. Was this the case or was it removed mechanically? It seems like a clean separation, but other pictures seem to indicate a fair bit of stress near the APU exhaust.

2) Was the tail removed due to immediate concerns regarding the height vis-a-vis single runway operations?

3) The actual breakup of the aircraft, when did the cutter actually commence landside cutting? Curious how long it took from the day of the incident to the day the insurance people gave the green light to break her up?

4) Were the engines W/O?

N754PR

RE: China Airlines B-165

Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:34 pm

The tail was blown off due to it effecting operations. Can't remember now but the aircraft spent around a year at HAECO before the cut it up.

As for the engines, I'm sure they got written off and I may be correct in thinking some off them (right side) went to the bottom.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.