What Is This Part?

Tue Feb 22, 2000 6:18 pm

Hello folks,

Is there anybody that can tell me what the name of the part is on the 737-300 series aircraft, at the wing tip that looks like a miniture winglet? It sits just on the outside of the aileron? It is like a longated triangle. Also, what is the purpose of it? And one last question (for now), what is those longated vanes on the nose dome called, and their purpose?

Thanks in advance to all who respond!

Posts: 3546
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 1999 11:34 am

RE: What Is This Part?

Tue Feb 22, 2000 6:41 pm

The nacelle strakes are aerodynamic aids for when the slats are out, I believe they excite the boundary layer. On the A340 if one is missing the approach speed has to be increased by 5 Kts. The Dc-10 also has them fitted.