ILUV767
Topic Author

See Thru Curtain Or Velvet Rope?

Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:45 pm

Hey everyone,
As a post 9/11 security measure, US Airlines must remove any curtains that block the view down the aisle and block the view of the cockpit door. Northwest and Continental have both experimented with ropes, and Continental has ditched the ropes in favor of a see thru mesh curtain.

I want to know about the logistics of having a rope vs a see thru curtain. On all of my NWA flights (mainly short DC9 segments) they have not used the rope. They did not use it on SFO-MSP which was on a 757 nor did they on a short flight on an A320. I've seen some photos where they do use it, and have heard tales about it. Does it make things a lot harder for the crew? Do people dip under the rope to pass between the cabins?

Continental has a see thru curtain which they now use. I imagine that they use this just like they did with the old curtains. Is this new curtain effective at stopping passenger traffic between the cabins? It would seem to me that the rope would be better for that, but the rope gets more in the way of the crew. Does the new curtain look tacky? Also, if they had multiple sets of these curtains could you see all of the way to the front of the aircraft?

Thanks

I L U V 7 6 7

ILUV767
Topic Author

RE: See Thru Curtain Or Velvet Rope?

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:01 pm

Also what are your opinions of either one?

I L U V 7 6 7

wgw2707

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:19 pm

I was on a CO flight with the rope in Febuary. It was interesting. It seemed to convey a slightly elistist image...

I prefer the see-through curtain. One of the things I liked about the old curtains is they dimmed the interiors and added a bit of colour to the drab bulkheads. Without the curtains, the interiors are overbright...I am hoping to see a full return of opaque curtains soon...

The see through interior I think is rendered unneccessary by the installation of CCTV in the cabins.

-WGW2707

debonair

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:23 pm

Can anyone provide pictures of both versions? I would luv to see it...

ILUV767
Topic Author

Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:37 pm

Here is the NWA rope (hard to see; helps if you open it as a large picture)

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Timothy Hannan

Here is the Continental curtain. In this shot it is opened, but you can still see thru part of it. Jetphotos has a better shot, but I cant link that one.

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Mary Brainard

I L U V 7 6 7