malb777

CH9 On US Flights Why Not Australia?

Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:50 pm

Reading trip reports etc on flights within the US and some int' flights , CH9 is available to pax to listen to air traffic control.
Question to fellow Aussie users,or anybody out there that may know the answer why this is not available in Australia ?
thank god i was not born a bird. this type of flying is much better

thadocta

RE: CH9 On US Flights Why Not Australia?

Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm

Seems to be a Merkin phenomena. I usually just listen in to my scanner when on the ground and concentrate on more important tasks (such as getting drunk) once on board the aircraft.

Dave

FutureFO

Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:27 pm

Ch 9 on UA is by Capt's discretion. So the captain might not have it turned on. I did have it on a return flight from SYD a few years ago. Of course that was before 9/11.

Sean from MCO
I Don't know where I am anymore

Bicoastal

Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:23 pm

It's not on all flights in the USA. ONLY United Airlines cares enough about its passengers to offer this cool channel. Though at the pilot's discretion, almost all of my United flights have had it turned on. Thank you to all of you UAL pilots out there.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

mattnrsa

Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:04 am

UA has CH9 availabe on all flts. It is interesting to hear the ATC from centers around the world when you travel. If it was not on a specific flt, the captain did not have it turned on. You will find that most do turn it on for the customers' enjoyment. Feel free to ask a flight attendant to pass on your request to the flight deck if you are not hearing it.