Dirkou
Topic Author

Southwest New "Focus" City

Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:08 am

They have added PHL this year, they say that when they enter a new city they do it by adding lots of flight at once. So the question is: what will be their next "focus" city? Any secondary airports at Denver/Atlanta so that they can start flying there?

AlitaliaORD

RE: Southwest New "Focus" City

Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:10 am

Sorry, you won't see them in either of those cities. I think they tried Denver but it costs alot to fly there.
Joy To The World, All The Boys and Girls, Joy to the Fishes in the Deep Blue Sea, Joy to You and Me

7e72004

Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:11 am

From what i read in previous posts/threads, Southwest and Denver do not get along.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

scottysair

Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:15 am

No, they did not service to DEN, either and probably that you should try to find something else with the WN cities. It is not along on those 2 cities to ATL & DEN, either. It is focus city in PHL, MSY, MCO, TPA, PHX & LAS and etc.

Regards

ual747den

Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:26 am

WN used to have service to DEN then DIA opened. DEN raised all fees and WN did not like that much. They tried to get DEN to lower the fees for them and when that didn't happen WN went to the media and talked all kind of trash. A few years ago when asked if they would return to DEN the official WN comment was, the price of a cab to downtown is more than our fare DEN does not fit our business model. So NO WN will not return to DEN anytime soon and with TED, UA, and F9 having hubs in DEN and every other airline flying to DEN there is no real need for WN.
Now I do think that there is a chance that we will see WN either go to COS or FNL. FNL Just received a federal grant to build a new terminal and is already talking with Alaska, COS is a big enough city and is close enough to DEN to take a flight a day.... FNL=Ft.Collins/Loveland
/// UNITED AIRLINES

srbmod

Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:17 am

As for Southwest and Atlanta, until they finally build a second commerical airport for Atlanta, the only way you'll see a Southwest flight @ ATL will be either a) a diversion or b) a charter. Even with AirTran being here @ ATL, there are still some WN diehards that would rather drive 2 hours to BHM to catch a Southwest flight than to fly AirTran. The only local airfield that could handle commercial flights is MGE, and that's only because the runway can handle heavier a/c. MGE has been suggested as an alternative airport, but I doubt that they will ever do it. Back in the field's early days, it did see some commerical service from Eastern (Not surprisingly, the field was named after Eastern's President, Eddie Rickenbacker), prior to the field being deeded by to the Army.

As for a new Southwest "focus" city, my money's on PIT, especially with US Airways' impending cuts there.

flynavy

Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:19 am

ORF's parallel runway project should be underway soon, and if they decide to build the new 3rd concourse, it will open up opportunities for expansion, which WN hopefully will take full advantage of. As for a focus city developing here, I'm not sure there's a market to support that, but there's definitely competition to be found here with FL at KPHF and now Indy Air as well.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

ssides

Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:27 am

WN used to have service to DEN then DIA opened. DEN raised all fees and WN did not like that much. They tried to get DEN to lower the fees for them and when that didn't happen WN went to the media and talked all kind of trash. A few years ago when asked if they would return to DEN the official WN comment was, the price of a cab to downtown is more than our fare DEN does not fit our business model.

This is entirely factually wrong. WN served DEN (Stapleton) long ago, but pulled out in the early '80s, when the new DIA was a mere twinkle in Federico Pena's eye. Stapleton was a crowded, delay-prone airport, but contrary to what you say, it was relatively convenient to downtown Denver (unlike the present DEN). Fees may have been an issue as well, but they were in no way related to the new airport. The key issue was delays, and several difficulties with airport officials. Your post is very misleading.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

stirling

Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:30 am

The Denver International Airport had nothing to do with Southwest Airlines halting service at Stapleton. These two events were separated by many years.
Delete this User

iflyatldl

Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:34 am

Also, DEN Stapleton had traffic issues and WN just could not turn their a/c around as quickly as in other markets. As for ATL, since we have FL, for now and sometime to come, WN just won't be serving ATL. PERIOD.
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

gr8slvrflt

Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:45 am

WN attempted to begin service at Brown Field about ten miles west of Atlanta a number of years ago but the NIMBYs would not have it. If one or more majors shut down, who knows?
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

Kohflot

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:08 am

I still think Southwest will eventually serve ATL - through a purchase of AirTran....

As for a new focus city.. maybe it's time to revisit the idea of DFW.
Ask why..

727LOVER

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:19 am

WN attempted to begin service at Brown Field about ten miles west of Atlanta a number of years ago but the NIMBYs would not have it. If one or more majors shut down, who knows?

January 19, 1991 would have been a good date to jump into ATL...but they passed.  Confused
Love Trumps Hate

AZjetgeek

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:24 am

Kohflot - Why would they ever consider DFW? Are you aware of the history between DFW and WN? Ever hear of the Wright-Shelby Amendment? Hell will freeze over before WN ever visits a gate at DFW.

As for ATL, what is the possibility of using Savannah as a destination? Savannah is growing, although I'm not sure they can handle a 737. Any thoughts on this one?

Long live the RJ!

planespotting

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:40 am

i think southwest should really increase their presence in the midwest, perhaps i'll be boo'd and shouted down, but mmmmmmmaybe in the next few years, hopefully they will at least open up a spot in one of these stations:

RST - 1 hour from MSP metro area, rochester is continually growing, adding lots of new roads and businesses, and you have the mayo clinic.

MSN - Less than or equal to 2 hours away from Milwaukee, Appleton/Oshkosh, Rockford, and Dubuque. Large metropolitan population, and a large college town.

Do you like movies about gladiators?

727LOVER

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:49 am

Savannah is growing, although I'm not sure they can handle a 737

HUH???????????????????????
 Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused

Shots from SAV

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?placesearch=Savannah%20-%20International%20%28SAV%20%2F%20KSAV%29&distinct_entry=true
Love Trumps Hate

Kohflot

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:58 am

The Wright-Shelby Amendment is why I wouldn't be surprised to see WN start DFW service if (and it's a big IF) the "legacy" carriers continue to be in a weakened position. I see SWA staying in DAL.. just maybe growing into other markets from the D/FW area. How long can they wait on the sidelines while AirTran builds a market? Of course, maybe I answered that question in my previous post.. Big grin

As for SAV, I don't think it's going to happen anytime in the next few years. I see CHS as a lot more "likely" - though neither are very likely anytime soon, IMO.
Ask why..

lat41

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:12 am

First, c'mon, take a look at The SAV airport diagram. They have a 9300 and a 7000 foor runway with overruns. Just about anything that flies can land there.
Then, let's not for get what the philosphy of WN has always been. They traditionally shun airports where too much time is wasted taxiing, circling around in traffic or spending half the night dodging thunderstorms. Atlanta is just such a place. they also do not like to be brought to their knees with high fees and lots of constraints. Medium size, easy in , easy out cities on the edge of huge marketing circles are their specialty which is why they are not in SFO, LGA, BOS and they are in OAK PVD and MHT for examples.

727LOVER

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:15 am

Medium size, easy in , easy out cities on the edge of huge marketing circles are their specialty which is why they are not in SFO, LGA, BOS and they are in OAK PVD and MHT for examples.

OK....explain PHL!  Laugh out loud
Love Trumps Hate

triley1057

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:36 am

A few years back there were a few rumors that WN would expand service from IAH. Is there any possibility of that being true? I know CO would not be too pleased.

bigb

Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:01 am

A few years back there were a few rumors that WN would expand service from IAH. Is there any possibility of that being true?

Why do that when they have HOU? As a houstonian, I can tell you that won't happen.
ETSN Baber, USN

MontanaFL

Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:23 am

TPA is currently building a new Airside "C" which WN will be moving into. The current airside they use, "A" is shared with CO, NW and HP. Have heard that once WN moves into "C" next year, that they will increase their number of flights into and out of TPA.
I miss those DL L-1011's

freshlove1

Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:31 am

I think DL flew or still flys 757's into SAV so WN would have no problem with any version of their 737 there. There is plenty of room for just about anything

F9Fan

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:02 pm

WN dropped out of DEN back in the mid 1980s, about the time someone thought we needed a new airport. At any rate, we have F9, and frankly, I like F9's livery a little better than WN's.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy The closest airport that can currently handle the B-737 is COS, some 70 miles south of DEN, but WN is saying they are a decade or more away from serving them. APA is out of the question because the runways can't handle the B-737, and if they even think of using that airport for commercial traffic, the NIMBYs raise Hades to make sure that never happens. Buckley AFB could be used if it is closed as a military base in the next round of BRACs, which should be announced next February, regardless if Bush or Kerry wins the election this November.

As for ATL, there is talk that if Dobbins ARB is closed in the next round of BRACs, they could convert that into a second airport for Atlanta. However, our good friend NIMBY could keep that from happening. WN serves BHM, which is only two to three hours away from ATL, and also CLT is untapped with the discount airlines.

F9Fan

smcmac32msn

Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:53 pm

MSN - Less than or equal to 2 hours away from Milwaukee, Appleton/Oshkosh, Rockford, and Dubuque. Large metropolitan population, and a large college town.

Wow, somebody beat me to the punch... too bad that NW has a strangle-hold there like they do at MSP and DTW. Anything they want, the airport bows to their every need.... Doubt it will happen, surprised that Allegiant even got in without a fight!

EDIT: MSN is 1 hour from MKE, 1.25 hours from RFD, 1.5 hours from OSH, and about 2 hours from ORD/MDW and DBQ................. in driving times.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

flashmeister

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:55 pm

If you want to get technical, Southwest dropped DEN twice... once in the 80s on their own, and then a second time immediately after acquiring Morris. They yanked Morris out of Denver, Eugene, Laughlin, and a few other cities that aren't coming to mind right now.

Delta767300ER

UAL747DEN

Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:07 pm

Wasnt Stapleton(sp) Int'l Airport DIA? I'm all confused.

-Delta767300ER

dbo861

Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:14 pm

I don't know if I see MSN getting Southwest anytime soon. Except for Allegiant, which will be coming in a little over a month, I don't believe they have any mainline carriers flying into the little Dane Co. Airport.

Plus like someone already stated, it is somewhat close to Milwaukee, Appleton, Rockford, and Dubuque, which all have airline service .

I think DSM has a chance of getting Southwest in the future. Lately DSM has had record passenger enplanements, and is still continuing to grow. Also, fares from DSM have been extremely low lately, which has made people in Iowa more likely to fly from Des Moines instead of driving the couple of hours to Omaha, Kansas City or Chicago just to get the lower fares. WN could fly to their LAX hub or BWI as DSM doesn't have service to either of those airports. Do I see WN at DSM or anywhere near there anytime soon...no, but like I said, it is a possibility.

tekelberry

Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:19 pm

Smcmac32msn,

Milwaukee is more than an hour away from Madison. An hour and a half minimum.

Indio66

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:39 pm

I still think that they should go after the few remaning high cost legacy hubs, like CVG (I believe the most expensive airport in the country right now), PIT and CLT.

deltabobo

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:54 pm

Remember, MGE is the site of Lockheed aircraft factory!!!!!
Dispatchers...saving pilots from themselves and their egos since 1938!

AZjetgeek

Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:56 pm

Thanks to those who updated me on the features of SAV. It has to be closer to ATL than BHM. CLT may also present a possible focus city for WN. US is expanding its international routes from there. While WN would not compete with US on those terms, it could really put a dent into US domestic routes from CLT.
Long live the RJ!

IGUY

Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:07 am

Perhaps KISP. WN just opened a new terminal. Huge population on Long Island, and lots of traffic on the Long Island Expressway make ISP a great alternative to LGA and JFK.

Kohflot

Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:11 am

AZ:

Actually, BHM is about 100 miles closer to ATL than SAV. SAV and CLT are pretty much equidistant from ATL...
Ask why..

smcmac32msn

Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:45 am

I don't believe they have any mainline carriers flying into the little Dane Co. Airport.

NW flys in the A319 and DC9... they are mostly mainline with a few CRJs in the mix. Thats why they get everything they want.

Smcmac32msn,

Milwaukee is more than an hour away from Madison. An hour and a half minimum.

I'm talking city center to city center..... which, with MSN being on the far east side of Madison, and MKE being on the far east side of Milwaukee, it should be about even... I've driven it more than once....

AND MAPQUEST SAYS: 83.28 MI and 1 hour, 25 minutes... Mapquest goes on the basis of 60 MPH for everything, so at say 70 MPH (reasonable and prudent in WI, never been pulled over passing a cop at 70!) it would take 1 hour, 09 minutes.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&un=m&2tabval=search&1n=DANE+COUNTY&cl=EN&ct=NA&1v=ADDRESS&2n=Milwaukee&1tabval=address&2v=CITY&1y=US&1a=4000+INTERNATIONAL+LN&1c=MADISON&1s=WI&1z=53704-3134&1ah=&2c=Milwaukee&2s=WI&2y=US&2l=dYtKqjQ5%252fDM%253d&2g=3Mmp6%252bnnOnc%253d&2pn=General+Mitchell&2v=CITY&2sb=LG2%252bNQqhtA2FGfFrro7OKkk%252bA3f7gpbw7PDmuVGQfxO%252fw4p1lyK0bh7qUIcp8heQ1GBeJfTDnLmFc%252bcuyNSFbpgpkFg06%252bajAsrpFrYmBQqbnSgVg3zL714DPOgmSsHouS2UZrgOWmKwFn%252fvAbiSPqWtPaDUVVpX&2initsrch=0&idx=0&id=4111111d-0012f-029ac-400c2549&aid=4111111d-00136-029ac-400c2549

Airport front door to Airport front door.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:49 am

CLT does not have gate space for WN, especially with the imminent arrival of DH. I imagine that DH will occupy the single presently available gate.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

stirling

Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:13 am

Flashmeister-

Don't forget FAT-Fresno as one of the Morris cities WN dropped.

Delta767300ER-

DIA is not a code, just an acronym.
DEN was the code for Stapleton International Airport-Denver and the new airport, Denver International Airport.

727Lover-

As for why PHL was chosen, since it would seem to have all the attributes of an airport WN shuns?......It does not suffer the problems such as those found in BOS, LGA, ORD, EWR and SFO to name a few.
PHL could be compared to their operations at LAX. For an airport of it's size, and the population area it serves, its a necessary evil.
Even with a US hub at PHL, it was considered a facility not operating up to it's full potential.
I can guarantee WN looked at the PHL market extensively, in the process probably even looking at Wilmington DE, Allentown PA, Trenton NJ, etc, before deciding, the best way to go after the market, was by being "IN" the market. The negatives are far outweighed by the benefits. Wise move.
Delete this User

planespotting

Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:00 am

DSM enplanements are up, but they are strugging to keep mainline coming in, they have only 737's from UA, and DC-9's from NW. It's a lot easier to fill up a 50 seat RJ 4 times a day then it is to fill up a 120 seat 737 7-8 times a day, which is what Southwest would want to bring in. I believe southwest needs a guarantee of 240,000 people per year (a rough estimate that i heard from in dallas), and the des moines metro area has around 350,000. Obviously not all of them fly every year, and they wouldn't all fly on southwest either. of course there would be some bleedover from people driving in from the rest of the state, but i don't think you could get even 150,000 people in the first year. they'd have much better luck in wisconsin or minnesota i think, where people have really only one option to fly (NW) and choices would do some good.

but as an intern for WN my first order of business will be to secure 20 flights a day out of dubuque iowa  Smile
Do you like movies about gladiators?

srbmod

Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:20 am

Back to SAV. The airport serves not just the Savannah area, but also it is the closest major airport to Hilton Head Island (Do any airlines even serve HHH these days? I remember Colgan Air used to fly ATL-HHH back when they were a Continental Connection carrier.). Throw a decent-sized college down in Statesboro, plus the tourist traffic along the coast (the only other commerical airport on the coast is BQK, which gets 4 ASA flights to ATL a day.). SAV is far enough away from JAX not to pull too many JAX pax away either (FL serves both SAV and JAX).

As for MGE as a future Atlanta area airport, it makes too much sense not to do it. Most of the commerical a/c that would probably use the field are much more quieter than what flies in/out there these days. The field is not too far off of I-75 and I-285, and like it was mentioned, the NIMBYs. Most of the residental around the field are apartments, and after a Navy Reserve A-7 crashed into an apartment building near the base in November of 1989, the NIMBYs really started up. If the base is closed, the Lockheed Plant may go as well since it is leased from the Air Force. By converting it into a commerical airport, they could still keep the plant open, and convert the NAS Atlanta side of the base into the commercial airport. With the number of hangars on the base, it would be a good location for a maintenance base for an airline as well. The airport would contribute a lot to the local economy (car rentals, hotels, motels, local resturants, etc.) that would help cushion the blow that the loss of the military units would inflict. In fact, the field was originally considered to be the alternate airport prior to WWII, which was why the local gov't built the field in the first place.

[Edited 2004-08-04 20:21:35]

chrisnh

Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:43 am

I've always theorized that because WN is building up Islip, that they'd turn ISP into a focus city or a hub of sorts. The handwriting on the wall came with PVD-ISP nonstops. I figured that we here at MHT would see the same sort of service. But then WN cancelled service between PVD-ISP and that probably doesn't bode well for MHT-ISP flights, obviously. But it begs the question: what WILL WN do at ISP that sets it apart from any other Northeast station such as MHT, PVD, ALB, BDL etc? WN isn't building a big, new terminal with food court at any of those stations.

Sooo...my theory goes like this: Eventually, Southwest will open up more of the northeast/New England. Granted, we're not talking about population meccas here, but Portland, Maine; Burlington, VT; Bangor, Maine come to mind. And...the Canadian Maritimes. Places like Halifax, St. John, etc. These places--while being 'international'--seem like fabulously profitable cities for Southwest. If someone from Halifax, say, wanted to go to Orlando, what better way than to fly from there to ISP/MHT and then on to MCO? Seems like a goldmine, since those cities are starved for service to the lower 48.

And before someone tells me that there is no market up there, then why does Southwest fly to the bustling metropolis of Harlingen, TX? Or Lubbock?

Chris in NH

sebwhite

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:01 am

If someone wanted to go from Halifax to Orlando, they'd go on a Canjet nonstop!

jmy007

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:13 am

I thought one of the biggest reasons WN pulled out of DEN was due to poor turn around times for the planes, b/c of weather etc.

It would be nice if SWA would come into CO at some point. I think COS would be the first choice, but what about Fort Collins/Loveland airport?
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

OPNLguy

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:14 am

>>>And before someone tells me that there is no market up there, then why does Southwest fly to the bustling metropolis of Harlingen, TX? Or Lubbock?

Texas is a -big- state, and both HRL and LBB were added back in the 1970s when SWA was still an intrastate airline. HRL serves the southern tip of Texas (including the resort areas of South Padre Island), and LBB carries alot of Texas Tech University traffic as well as business-related stuff.

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SWAFA30

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:15 am

But it begs the question: what WILL WN do at ISP that sets it apart from any other Northeast station such as MHT, PVD, ALB, BDL etc? WN isn't building a big, new terminal with food court at any of those stations.

I can't speak to what the powers that be may or may not have in store for ISP but I do have a comment on the investment in the new terminal there and why WN may have spent the $$$.

The main difference between ISP and the other Northeast cities mentioned above is that they already had modern or at least semi-modern facilities, ISP did not. Before moving into their new digs BDL's facilities were about as bad as ISP's but that is no longer the case our current facilities in BDL are as nice as any in the system. Unlike the old space in ISP, MHT, PVD, and ALB, are open, spacious facilities with the types of shops, restaurants, and basic amenities that even LCC customers have come to expect. Meanwhile, ISP was/is essentially a bus station with jetways. The Ops/Ramp employees were using a temporary facility that was barely a step above a trailer. Something had to be done if we were going to do business there on a long term basis.

[Edited 2004-08-04 21:17:39]

FRA2DTW

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:29 am

Grand Rapids would be a good choice for Southwest. It also would capture traffic from Lansing, one hour's drive from the airport.

N1120A

Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:31 pm

On the DFW thing, there are a few things that would keep them out. First off, WN and the City of Fort Worth (where the airport actually is) hate each other. Ft. Worth got Wright and Shelby passed and restricted Love Field service. Also, DFW is too far out from Dallas, making it undesirable for WN to have a big operation. That is the reason they moved the bulk of their service from IAH to HOU, why they gave such a go at DET and why they will fly into LAX and PHL. They, unlike European Low Fare carriers, prefer closer in airports, as long as they are not over crowded and over charging. When they said they would not fly to DEN because of the cab ride price, they meant it, as well as fees (since DEN is really well equipped to deal with Weather and the like).
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

stirling

Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:46 am

ChrisNH wrote:
But then WN cancelled service between PVD-ISP and that probably doesn't bode well for MHT-ISP flights, obviously. But it begs the question: what WILL WN do at ISP that sets it apart from any other Northeast station such as MHT, PVD, ALB, BDL etc?

The one thing to remember is that Southwest is one of the best planned airlines in the history of commercial aviation. As for them pulling off of the PVD-ISP, that doesn't mean they won't be back.
For example, Southwest began flying Las Vegas to Los Angeles in the early 80's, only to drop the route for over 6 years!(May be have even been 7?), But when they came back, they came back, and in a big way, today owning the route.
Southwest is famous for quick reactions to market conditions, with prudent solutions. One of the things that makes Southwest the most copied airline on the planet.
Delete this User

njdevilsin03

Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:42 am

Instead of starting a whole new Sothwest topic... Can anyone tell me if by starting flights to PBI Southwest hurt themselves in the Fort Lauderdale station? They did plan to expand alot once they got their new concourse complete and they do have between 6 or 7 gates and they haven't expanded much at all except for PHL and some saturday flights. What happened to the additional service that was supposed to happen once they got all the gates
717, 727, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 753, 762, 763, 777, DC9, MD80, DC10, L1011, ERJ, CRJ, ATR, DH8, A300,

scottysair

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:14 am

Not really about WN is used into the new concourse B and if even expanding more new service from FLL-LAS & PHX and if competition on HP. they will decide to announcement for more new service to LAS & PHX. I know one of those flight HP on evening flight to LAS. Why not need to make adds more daylight time with nonstop in the morning time. I know one of HP already one-stop from FLL-PHX-LAS.

iowaman

Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:50 pm

Medium size, easy in , easy out cities on the edge of huge marketing circles are their specialty which is why they are not in SFO, LGA, BOS and they are in OAK PVD and MHT for examples.

OK....explain PHL!

And MDWLaugh out loud  Big thumbs up

I believe southwest needs a guarantee of 240,000 people per year

DSM enplaned over 950,000 in the past year, I would think they could get 240,000, esp. with there low fares.

http://dsmairport.com/AboutUs/Operating_Statistics.htm