squirrel83

Passenger Sues BA Over Leg Room

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:07 am

"A pensioner was due in court today to sue British Airways for failing to provide enough leg room on long-haul flights.

The passenger claims BA breached his human rights and he is seeking £3,000 for the "pain and suffering" he endured in a standard economy seat on a 13-hour trip from London to Singapore. He says he asked for extra space but was allocated the standard 31 inches.

BA said it would be " vigorously defending" the claim as it could not guarantee passengers particular seats.

Just thought this was interesting, and could help out little friends with the AirTran Post earlier today. .  Smile  Smile

[Edited 2004-08-05 03:10:29]
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

EA CO AS

RE: Passenger Sues BA Over Leg Room

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:10 am

Hogwash. BA offered him the option of additional legroom in exchange for an increase in his fare, as per their contract of carriage.

This is clearly a smartass with nothing better to do than file claims solely for the hell of it.  Angry
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

smcmac32msn

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:10 am

Looks like the Americans have passed off our "LAWSUIT" world that we live in now. You can't ask for the seat infront of you to be taken out, or moved forward. If you want bigger legroom, buy World Traveller Plus or BizClass seats.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

burnsie28

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:14 am

Absolutely Stupid, he wants a ton more leg room, fly World Business Class, First Class, etc. Or buy your own private jet.

captaingomes

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:24 am

I agree with the above so far. However, 31" of legroom is pretty crappy, especially for such a long flight.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

AEROFAN

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:29 am

People are really strange. I wonder if the concept of getting your own jet or taking another company doesn't occur to some...

KateAV8

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:34 am

Geez, the courts are already backed up for years with bogus lawsuits filed by big babies like that guy! Which in turn causes the legitimate lawsuits out there to have to wait even longer for their day in court. The guy shoulda called his mommy! (Or chartered a G-V!) Someone needs to call him a waaaambulance!  Laugh out loud

-Kate
The only justification for looking down on someone is to help them up

NWAFA

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:37 am

How many times have we heard Europeans call the USA Sue Happy! Sheesh what a joke this guy is! It coach for god's sake! He wants more room he has some options:

PAY for the upgrade
PAY for a Business/First Class Seat
Hire his own plane!

This is as bad as the McDonald's coffee case!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

EZYcrew

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:10 am

Great Britain always had a foot somewhere accross the Atlantic...therefore no suprise that this kind of lawsuit appears there first.... just my 2 swiss centimes.

SafetyDude

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:13 am

I think that we all know the truth behind this law suit, but I am surprised that it went this far.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

ssides

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:21 am

Before you Brits get mad at us Americans for exporting our lawsuit culture, know that over here it would have been worse -- he and his lawyers would have sued for tens of millions of dollars for embarrassment, pain & suffering, mental anguish, fraud, chronic back and leg pain, and who knows what else!
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

flylondon

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:36 am

Its annoying that these stupid people don't seem to get it.

They can have more room in economy if that is what is wanted. However fares will have to rise in order for this to happen which people won't pay for. I'm willing to bet Mr 6 foot pensioner bought the cheapest fare he could find. Its quite simple - IF YOU WANT MORE ROOM THEN PAY FOR Y+ OR J!

(Sorry about the rant it just really gets on my nerves everytime)

hkg_clk

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:45 am

This is crazy. I hope the courts throw the case out unless there are other grounds which have not been reported which justify the action.

hkg_clk
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

deltabos

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:54 am

Odds are that he'll show up to court in a leg brace while being wheeled in. And of course he'll take it off once he is chauffeured into the car on the way home.

smcmac32msn

Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:03 pm

Geez, the courts are already backed up for years with bogus lawsuits filed by big babies like that guy! Which in turn causes the legitimate lawsuits out there to have to wait even longer for their day in court. The guy shoulda called his mommy! (Or chartered a G-V!) Someone needs to call him a waaaambulance!

KateAV8, you earned my respect with that post!!! Thats just classic! "Call Him a waaaambulance!" LOL!

Odds are that he'll show up to court in a leg brace while being wheeled in. And of course he'll take it off once he is chauffeured into the car on the way home.

Naw, he'll take the brace off and use the check he receives as a cane to walk out the door laughin all the way... Everybody knows that the court is going to rule in favor of the whiner. BTW... how much leg room was he expecting?

N1120A

Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:09 pm

This is a stupid case, but much different than the McDonald's case. Here, everyone knows that Y seats are cramped and that you have to do exercises and not get pissed on the flight, or upgrade. With the McDonald's case, the lady was not warned that the coffee would cover a large part of her body with third degree burns. No warning label, nothing. BA's website has stuff on DVT and how to prevent it, along with publishing the specs of their seats.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

smcmac32msn

Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:26 pm

N1120A-

Hmmm.......... "WARNING!: This cup of coffee is going to cause 3rd degree burns all over your body, DON'T SPILL!"

I can see it now. Too bad the woman knew coffee is HOT from McDonalds, because it probably wasn't the first time she's ever gotten coffee from there before.

Does that mean that stoves need to have a warning label too? "WARNING!: When you turn the stove on, it will be HOT, DON'T TOUCH!"

Do you want me to go on?

chrisrad

Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:49 pm

. BTW... how much leg room was he expecting?
Well at least 34" inches, as some airlines offer at NO extra cost.!
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

trident2e

Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:53 pm

He lost the case - the Judge agreed with BA that they had complied fully with the contract of carriage and were under no obligation to provide a seat with extra legroom.

mandala499

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:26 pm

1. Why pay a lawyer when he could have used the legal fees to buy him a J class ticket.
2. BA breached his human rights? LOL LGW-Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter (Germany)">HE HAD A CHOICE TO FLY! It throws the human rights argument out of the window because once entering the aircraft, as long as it's still at the gate, he had full rights to leave! if money was his reason why he didn't do leave, then it's a commercial/service contract, not a social one!
3. THANK GOD he lost the case!

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:28 pm

You can't argue that 31in pitch on a flight you bought, paid for and boarded voluntarily is a breach of human rights.

However, 31in pitch on a longhaul flight is insufficient by anybody's standards.

[Edited 2004-08-05 09:29:20]
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

707CMF

Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:00 pm

Come on.

I have flown BA long haul a few times (once LHR-HKG), on cattle class.
I am 6'1" (1m85), yet when it came to buy my ticket to SEA a few months ago, I preferred to fly BA over cheaper airlines ,because I knew I would be comfortable enough no long haul with them.

Heck, the lady should be sentenced to fly LH long haul on their brand new A346. Less legroom, and no PTVs.
Or maybe, we could treat her with a transatlantic flight on a 757.

Cheers,

JMChladek

Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:18 pm

I could think of worse places to be in then 31" seat pitch on a BA plane for a long haul flight. I had no problem flying this way and would do so again if I fly BA again.

GuyBetsy1

Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:44 pm

Well, the pensioner could have been smarter.. and travelled on MALAYSIA AIRLINES or THAI AIRWAYS.. which in the case from LHR to SIN, would most likely be cheaper than BA. But most importantly, both airlines offer 34" pitch in economy class vs 31" for BA.

I bet BA won't be letting him on their planes any time soon. He's most likely to be blacklisted. And when an EU airline is blacklisting a passenger, you can be sure that his name will be flashed throughout all EU arilines as well!

GBOAC

Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:49 pm

Chrisrad - Well at least 34" inches, as some airlines offer at NO extra cost.!

Who on that route (LON-SIN) offers 34" in economy? I think SQ offer 32", but that's all I can think of.

Britannia are 28" I believe, and they do long hauls too...this guy should think himself lucky! Or, more appropriately, find something better to do with his twilight years than bitch about stupid things in a court of law.

Phil

JGPH1A

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:10 pm

Re: I bet BA won't be letting him on their planes any time soon. He's most likely to be blacklisted. And when an EU airline is blacklisting a passenger, you can be sure that his name will be flashed throughout all EU arilines as well!

Er, no. BA do not currently have the ability to blacklist a passenger - trust me on this. It hasn't been built (yet). And you can be damn sure that if it is built, the information will NOT be communicated to anyone else - we have Data Protection laws in the EU that would leave BA high and dry in such a case.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

GBOAC

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:37 pm

GuyBetsy1 - ah, thanks for answering my question  Smile Are they direct flights?

Anyway, update: case dismissed, and best of all the judge denied the idiot leave to appeal too. According to Metro which I read bleary-eyed this morning as usual (it's a free newspaper given away at all UK Tube stations, from the same stable as Evening Standard) his objection was he requested extra legroom and was 'promised' it but never got it. I suspect this means he requested an exit row. BA (quite rightly and their T&Cs say no seat is guaranteed, certainly with OLCI at least) denied the 'promise' was binding. He was 70+ so maybe didn't meet the exit row criteria anyway. Interestingly, and this is where I have even less sympathy for him, I appeared to relate to two separate flights: LHR-SIN and (IIRC) LHR-LAX. So it's not as if he could argue he didn't know what to expect second time around!

Phil

qantas744

Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:02 pm

"The passenger claims BA breached his human rights and he is seeking £3,000 for the "pain and suffering" he endured"

Human rights my ass.....on the plus side I hear the people in Sudan are having a whip round to help this person out of their misery.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

FlyMeToTheMoon

Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:40 pm

I wonder if after he flies Ryan he will sue them for not providing a reclining seat or a pocket in the seat back in front of him. Or Southwest for not providing assigned seating. The human rights part was especially good - I know a few people in places like Sudan who would like to have their human rights taken away in a 31 inch BA seat! Oh well, humans are amazing!
Fly me to the moon... but not through LHR!

fallout01

Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:46 pm

New information to be included in the next printing of airline passenger safety cards:

"If you are a passenger seated in an economy class seat, please be aware that the personal space available to you is not as ample as you may be accustomed to in your home's living room. You may experience bumped knees, muscle pain or stiffness, neck or shoulder stiffness, back discomfort, numb buttocks, or, in certain rare cases, feelings of extreme claustrophobia. Additionally, you probably will not be able to cross your legs or spread out like you can in your favorite chair or sofa.

You are advised that these are all normal experiences when traveling in economy class, and are advised to look on the bright side: at least you're not packed into a bus sharing a plastic seat with four other persons or standing on a crowded train or subway sandwiched between a leering, sweaty 350 pound pervert and a 17 year old rapper wannabe with a boom box cranked at full volume.

If you find that you are experiencing difficulty accepting the conditions in economy class, you might try reading a book or magazine, watching our in-flight entertainment, or doing a crossword puzzle. If none of these help, try drinking yourself comatose. Additionally, some passengers have reported that repeating the following mantra can help: 'I am nothing special...I got what I paid for...I am not precious or unique...I'm just another economy class passenger...I should shut up and stop complaining.'

Thank You and Welcome Aboard!"

Smile

flylondon

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:29 pm

Hmmmm maybe I should sue London Underground because the tube was crowded on the way to work and it breached my human rights. Or maybe Westminster City Council because there were a lot of people on the pavement and I couldn't get as much space as I wanted. Or maybe my employer because there were and awful lot of people in the lift on the way up to the office!

newyork355

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:16 pm

This lawsuit is crazy! If this guy wins, you know there will be a lot more of these "I didn't have enough legroom" lawsuits. If you're unhappy with coach, take the money you're spending on sueing BA, and buy a business class ticket.
"No Way BA/AA"

chrisrad

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:24 pm

Who on that route (LON-SIN) offers 34" in economy? I think SQ offer 32", but that's all I can think of.
He could have flown Malaysia Airlines to KUL, who are FAR superior to BA, and caught a connecting flight to SIN which is only about 45mins. Whats a small connection after 13 hours of flying? Rather be crushed to death, or wait 1 or 2 hours.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

kl911

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:37 pm

"A pensioner was due in court today''

I know it sounds bad, but sometimes I wish we could lock certain people up above a certain age and prevent them from flying, and more important, driving........ pff, those complaing pensioners live on our tax money..

Please don't kill me, it's just a thought....

FLIBOYZ

Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:57 pm

Maybe he should have sat in the lavatory. Lots of legroom there. And noone around to bother him. Except for maybe the smell.

R I D I C U L O U S.

Pay for the First Class or Business Class seat if you want more legroom.

These kinds of people should be banned from society.

Wink/being sarcastic

NWADC9

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:38 am

Hey, it's great income! Fly a plane, find something to complain about, sue, then collect the money! Seriously, you have a problem with legroom in coach, get an upgrade to first.

WHAT AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Acting devilish
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

baw716

Passenger Sues BA Over Legroom

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:43 am

I have a couple of thoughts to add, I promise to make this brief:
a) In the US, this would have likely been heard in small claims court, not a superior court.
b) BA breeched his human rights? I know the Warsaw Convention pretty well, there is no provision in it for "breeching human rights by not providing legroom".
c) The judge would have dismissed the case on the spot (actually, based on what I read here, he did). Even in small claims court (where if you always lose if you are an airline, even if the law is on your side) it would have been kicked. SCC Judges sometimes don't follow the law, but they are not stupid.

As far as banning him from BA, forget it. He has not committed an offense that warrants barring him. However, if he does fly BA, he should get the seat assignment he merits: 12 hour flight, economy, full, middle seat, row behind bulkhead behind crying baby.

Give me a break!
baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

nudelhirsch

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:50 am

Breaking human rights and then sue only for 3,000? I thought human rights were worth more... Nuts

In future on boarding, we will have to sign a special agreement with the airline, that after boarding and seeing the seat we agree not to sue the airline despite the impact of the small legroom...Boarding will take 5 hours or more, until every moron has understood what he has to sign...lol

Putana da Seatbeltz!

deltabos

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:52 am

Let it be a lesson to everybody: if you don't get an education and don't have a good income each year, then some people tend to resort to stunts like this.

MCMAHONSMR

Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:42 am

I am in agreement that this case is a waste of time. The problem here is precedent. If BA this guy 3,000GBP then that opens up the floodgates for further bogus claims. On the other hand, if BA defend this case as aggressively and "vigorously" as they should, the ultimate cost will not be borne by BA but other passenger. Ultimately, someone has to pay an attorney, or in the UK a solicitor and barrister, their fees. And these fees will be reflected in increased fares.

My knoweldge of UK civil practice is very limited but I believe that the threshold for small claims actions is well below 3,000GBP. Like previous posts have said, if this action were filed here in the USA by the likes of Banzhof et al the dollar amount requested would have been in the millions and broadcast on CNN. I wonder though what would happen if someone aggrieved with BA decided to file an action for $3,000 at a small claims court in Queens. Would BA be defending it?

ltbewr

Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:03 am

While the approach of this claimant by going to court on grounds of 'human rights' was wrong, there is a serious issue here for very long haul flight passengers. It is well documented the problem issue of blood clots from sitting for long periods of time during air flights in cramped seating conditions. In some cases, those afflicted have died. 31 inch pitch may be acceptable for a 1-3 hour regional flight, but for a 13 hour flight is questionable, especially if the person is of average or above average height. I agree that the pitch should be at least 33-34 inches for such very long haul flights, especially if operate at full capacity. In the post-9/11 world for security reasons, you cannot walk around an a/c like in the past to prevent blood clot disorders. I understand the need of the airlines to make a profit, but that could be negated by packing passangers in such tight spaces, that future passangers will choose another airline or the costs of passangers hospitalizations or dying of blood clots.

FlyingColours

Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:51 am

The guy is suing because of 31 inches?, Jesus you can tell this guy never flew charter before. BY have 28" (I think) and they are flying to Australia, Tahiti (Sadly) and other far flung destinations, then there are the other carriers like MT, DP, VZ, and ZB all offering roughly the same (although Britannia is supposed to offer the least room) and the tens of millions of passengers who fly them per year don't file a law suit, so this guy doesn't really have much of a leg to stand on (so to speak).

Also I bet the guy paid for his cheap ticket with his pention, now the problem with this is that when I come to retire (If I'm still in this country) the government won't be able to pay my pention, hell it can't even pay my parents.

Glad to hear he lost the case, and I bet he used one of those God Awful lawfirms advertised on the TV so much "No Win No Fee" (They fail to mention you must take out insurance - so they get their fee if they loose).

Anyway I'm going too far off topic.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

BlaxtonCanuck

Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:52 am

I can't wait for the first tv advertisement from a lawyers office talking about this kind of stupidity.. He's breached my human rights cuz I get angry hearing about this .. now I feel better

mandala499

Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:55 am

So raise the fares to provide for more legroom and then see the lawsuits start rolling for "big business extorting the consumer"...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

chinaeastern

Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:05 am

all that i would advise that passenger is to fly air new zealand from LHR-SIN via LAX and AKL

LHR27C

Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:09 am

Madness. What a waste of money! 31" seat pitch on a 13 hour flight for a pensioner may be quite uncomfortable, but definitely not a breach of human rights. The BA pitch is fairly standard, and as has been said, if that is worth taking legal action, what should BY long haul pax do in their 28" of space? Big grin
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

gilesdavies

Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:05 am

To be fair to UK charter airlines on there long haul flights they do offer increased legroom, compared to there short haul aircraft.

Britannia's 767-300's which perform nearly all their long hauls, offer a legroom of 30 inches in economy and do offer an "Economy Plus" cabin offering 34 inches and increased level of service at a premium. Just there 767-200's and 757's off the 28 inch legroom and rarly operate routes longer than 4.5hrs.

The really exciting development in charter travel in the UK is First Choice Airways 767-300 from next year will offer a 33 inch seat pitch in Economy and there "Premium Economy" cabin will offer 37 inches. Offering on-demand PTV throughout and vastly improved inflight catering. This will put many scheduled carriers to shame.

Back to thread in hand... The bloke suing is a twat and should be banned from every world airline.

UA744KSFO

Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:13 am

Or he could just do what I do on the extra long hauls and take 2 Ambien (which will knock you out for 11 hours). I also take aspirins to prevent DVT.

qantas744

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:12 am

"In the post-9/11 world for security reasons, you cannot walk around an a/c like in the past to prevent blood clot disorders."

I have flown this route a number of times mostly with BA but also with QF and SQ and all three airlines make it clear that getting up and walking around is one of the best ways of preventing DVT and promote such behaviour on long haul flights. We are not talking about US transcon flights where the airlines are more concerned with terrorism prevention than DVT amongst passengers.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

flyingbronco05

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:29 am

This same kind of thing happened to AA:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1564211/

I hope the people don't get a thing.

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge