SWA TPA
Topic Author

Road That Crosses A Runway?

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:44 am

Hello fellow A.Netters!

My husband swears there is an airport somewhere that has a runway that has a regular road crossing it. He thinks it has a gate or signal or something that stops the traffic when a plane is present.
I have never heard of this. Have ya'll?? If you have where is this located? He has been bugging me for 2 days now to post this question  Smile ! Thought I would make him happy and ask you experts  Big thumbs up

Thanks!!!!!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

Trolley Dolley

RE: Road That Crosses A Runway?

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:48 am

Yes, Gibraltar Airport. The traffic stops for the flights. Quite fun to walk across.
There is also a railway line across the runway here in New Zealand at Gisborne.

Pe@rson

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:48 am

The road between Spain and Gibraltar crosses the runway, not far at all from the small terminal building. It's quite exciting, really, to cross a runway by foot (or car, or bus, whatever). During my visit, I (like everyone else) had to wait while a small 'plane landed and vacated the runway. It'd have been extremely fun and exciting if it had been a MON Airbus!

[Edited 2004-08-06 00:49:23]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

SWA TPA
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:52 am

Wow ya'll are fast! That's one of the reason I love this place  Smile

Now I have a husband going "see, I told ya so"
Hee hee.....

Thanks guys and gals!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

rongotai

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:52 am

That used to be the case at Prestwick, but they rerouted the road some years ago. I remember being there when a BA VC10 was doing touch and gos. The traffic jam went back miles.

At Gisborne, New Zealand, the railway crosses the runway, but given four trains and six scheduled flights a day that isn't a big deal.

Pe@rson

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:54 am

Here's a pic showing the road. Everyone going to/from Spain must cross this road - and it's frequently busy.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dion Fuchs

The infamous Rock of Gibraltar offers a superb view of the landing and arriving aircraft, albeit from a distance. Here's a (zoomed) shot:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andreas Barowski

"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

UNDAEROSPACE

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:54 am

Doesnt" Cayo Coco (CCC / MUOC), Cuba" have that type of set up?

[Edited 2004-08-06 00:56:13]

Trolley Dolley

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:57 am

Very true Rongotai, but given the way the NZ railways operate to schedule- NOT!- I wouldn't be surprised if it could be an issue at Gisborne. he he he

SWA TPA
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:04 am

Oh thats great! I was just searching for a pic of it but couldnt find one because dummy here (me) was spelling Gibraltar wrong  Big grin
Thanks Pe@rson!
Thanks again! What a neat place. Can you imagine if they tried that here in the USA? "I think I can make it across before the plane hits me!" People are always getting smucked by trains doing that silly move!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

Tom in NO

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:20 am

Does the Coast Guard still have that base across North Harbor Drive from SAN? There was a taxiway (and I'm thinking signal lights, as well) that marked the taxi route across North Harbor to the airfield at SAN.

Tom atMSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina