SWA TPA
Topic Author

Road That Crosses A Runway?

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:44 am

Hello fellow A.Netters!

My husband swears there is an airport somewhere that has a runway that has a regular road crossing it. He thinks it has a gate or signal or something that stops the traffic when a plane is present.
I have never heard of this. Have ya'll?? If you have where is this located? He has been bugging me for 2 days now to post this question  Smile ! Thought I would make him happy and ask you experts  Big thumbs up

Thanks!!!!!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

Trolley Dolley

RE: Road That Crosses A Runway?

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:48 am

Yes, Gibraltar Airport. The traffic stops for the flights. Quite fun to walk across.
There is also a railway line across the runway here in New Zealand at Gisborne.

Pe@rson

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:48 am

The road between Spain and Gibraltar crosses the runway, not far at all from the small terminal building. It's quite exciting, really, to cross a runway by foot (or car, or bus, whatever). During my visit, I (like everyone else) had to wait while a small 'plane landed and vacated the runway. It'd have been extremely fun and exciting if it had been a MON Airbus!

[Edited 2004-08-06 00:49:23]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

SWA TPA
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:52 am

Wow ya'll are fast! That's one of the reason I love this place  Smile

Now I have a husband going "see, I told ya so"
Hee hee.....

Thanks guys and gals!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

rongotai

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:52 am

That used to be the case at Prestwick, but they rerouted the road some years ago. I remember being there when a BA VC10 was doing touch and gos. The traffic jam went back miles.

At Gisborne, New Zealand, the railway crosses the runway, but given four trains and six scheduled flights a day that isn't a big deal.

Pe@rson

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:54 am

Here's a pic showing the road. Everyone going to/from Spain must cross this road - and it's frequently busy.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dion Fuchs

The infamous Rock of Gibraltar offers a superb view of the landing and arriving aircraft, albeit from a distance. Here's a (zoomed) shot:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andreas Barowski

"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

UNDAEROSPACE

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:54 am

Doesnt" Cayo Coco (CCC / MUOC), Cuba" have that type of set up?

[Edited 2004-08-06 00:56:13]

Trolley Dolley

Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:57 am

Very true Rongotai, but given the way the NZ railways operate to schedule- NOT!- I wouldn't be surprised if it could be an issue at Gisborne. he he he

SWA TPA
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:04 am

Oh thats great! I was just searching for a pic of it but couldnt find one because dummy here (me) was spelling Gibraltar wrong  Big grin
Thanks Pe@rson!
Thanks again! What a neat place. Can you imagine if they tried that here in the USA? "I think I can make it across before the plane hits me!" People are always getting smucked by trains doing that silly move!

SWA TPA
I believe I can fly.....

Tom in NO

Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:20 am

Does the Coast Guard still have that base across North Harbor Drive from SAN? There was a taxiway (and I'm thinking signal lights, as well) that marked the taxi route across North Harbor to the airfield at SAN.

Tom atMSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos