CRJboy
Topic Author

CRJ900 Almost Stalls Today!

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:03 am

hey y'all.... today I was the flight attendant on America West Express (Mesa Airlines) flight from PHX to MSP. (Yeah, it sucks for 3 hours in sucha small plane) Anyways... I was done serivng drinks and we were throwing the trash when all of a sudden the plane starts vibrating and we hear the gnines like choking, then we drop...then we stabilize..then we drop...i walk to the back and we go on this huge drop and i fell to the floor...i held on to a passengers armbreast...then we stabilized i called the flight deck and he said "we lost air speed stanby in the back" and the plane kept choking and vibrating... then after a few minutes we kept dropping and stabilizing...we were cruising at FLT370 now the captain called me back and said "we are at FLT330...all stabilized..." and that was it...HOLY HELL...i was scare.d.the other flight attendant freaked out and i told her..."please keep calm for me and for the passengers...(i was all smiles and laughing bc i didnt wanan dcare the passengers...everyone was asking and i said..we jsut hit some turbulence over the rockies.. and they just didnt ask anything else... but while we were dropping and stabilizing i was preparing myself and the other f/a for an emergency landing or whatever...we were also kinda rolling to the left a bit while the engines were choking...it was horrible feeling...anyways i just wanted to tell you my story of today...im still in uniform i wanted to come tell you all right away...gotta go shower...any comments are appreciated!

Areopagus

RE: CRJ900 Almost Stalls Today!

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:09 am

i held on to a passengers armbreast...

Wow, sounds like an exciting experience!

Boeing7E7

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:10 am

No worries, it was the Chemtrail machine cutting out.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Yikes though.

UNDAEROSPACE

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:11 am

What a hair raising experience you must of had this experience brought some of your training to the test. Thankfully everything is okay.

JeffDCA

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:18 am

Sounds more like a patch of serious CAT than a stall. Several airliners in the past have had drops of several thousand feet at cruise altitude. I know of similar drops by BA, AA, and QF aircraft.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

iluv2pilot

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:23 am

Yep, almost 99% sure it's CAT.

CRJboy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:24 am

the stall warning went off the the au tpilot sound came on that it was disengaged...i was working flight attendant a

WidgetBoi

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:25 am

Sounds like you earned your pay today  Big grin

jeremy

Type-Rated

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:26 am

From your description it sounds like the plane wasn't trimmed properly and the engines had a mild case of compressor stall.
What is really bizarre is that this happened enroute. Everthing should have been on automatic (auto-pilot, etc.) unless the pilots were playing around with the engines and aircraft pitch. This is highly unlikely.
I think that this was more likely a case of chop (turbulence) than aircraft performance issues. But why the engines were "choking" is beyond me. Did you ask the Captain what happened when they landed?

Remember, "turbulence" scares people, "bumpy air" doesn't.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

JeffDCA

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:27 am

the stall warning went off the the au tpilot sound came on that it was disengaged...i was working flight attendant a

That would happen due to the aircraft being in a stalled condition in the area of CAT.

Cheers,

Jeff

[Edited 2004-08-06 02:29:36]

EZYcrew

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:28 am

CRJboy... your profile says you're 16-20 years old.... I didn't know airlines in the US hired before 21... after all you're required to serve/sell alcohol, no?
You could please clarify this... thanks

Cheers

nwcoflyer

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:36 am

Ezycrew

Accoring to Mesa Air's own web site, the minimum age is 19 years old.
The New American is arriving.

av8rphx

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:37 am

Minimum Age for MESA flight attendants is currently 19 years old.

EZYcrew

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:39 am

okay fair enough....was just wondering... are young f/a's allowed to serve alcohol or do they have to ask an adult f/a to do it for them?

airstatdfw

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:00 am

In the US you only have to be 18 to serve alcohol.

CRJboy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:25 am

hey..i served up a storm of alcoho...im 19...i just cant open the drinks...but i can sell them and all...but i cant open it... and mesa doesnt have a license to serve liquor on the ground...but im 19 and i love my job...its the job of my dreams...we can talk about mesa..but hey...its a start..hehe..but yeah today was horrible...oh and by the way the a/c was 909FJ

767Lover

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:35 am

CRJboy,

Good for you for trying to act casual in front of the passengers. A few years ago I had a terrible fear of flying (I didn't let it stop me from traveling, but I worried) and whenever something out of the ordinary happened, I would look at the FAs for their reaction and if they didn't look worried, I felt okay!

CRJboy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:40 am

I told the other flight attendant to make her feel better...I was like "girl just get ready and look cute for the firemen and paramedics" and she laughed, and I pulled out my manual and rpepared her...who was 3 years senior to me for the emergency she had never had...we did our 60 second review...emergency exits, commands...etc. I did it all and explained to her what we were going to do. i was sh*tting bricks, but someone had to be in charge in the passenger compartment at least and remain calm for the 86 souls we had on board. We were ready for anything and I was very calm. Now I am all jittery. LOL But honestly this experince has changed my lfie and i take everything from now on more seriously, and I can jsut say that this experince has changed my lfie for the good, and I still LOVE MY JOB.  Smile and I wouldnt trade it for the world  Smile Except maybe work for B6..haha  Smile

JeffDCA

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:45 am

Sounds like you're a natural CRJboy! It's always great to see someone who clearly enjoys their job with as much enthusiasm as you. Here's to many happy flights to come!  Smile

Cheers,

Jeff

SegmentKing

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:02 am

I'd edit out the date and routing of the flight so you don't get into trouble. Mesa isn't a big fan of having stuff like this posted on the internet.

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

Skyway1

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:03 am

We had a flight a few months back that encountered severe weather enroute. The crew believed the aircraft was struck by lightning, which probably was the case because the radar onboard was fried(took a huge delay going back waiting for a maintenance tech to arrive on the next flight). The flight was so bumpy 5 people onboard were vomiting the whole flight. One passeneger spent most of the flight in the lav because she was so sick(two days later when he flew back out she was still very woosy). The flight crew told me it was so bumpy the negative g's were making the oil pressure lights come on in the cockpit. Thank GOD I wasn't on the flight!

Chris
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

freshlove1

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:15 am

Hey if Johnny O dosent like this kind of stuff posted on the internet then have him give me a call and we will talk. I support any of our employees that decide to share an expierence, good or bad, with us. Good thing it all turned out ok.

bjg231

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:25 am

Well at least you got one benefit out of the situation. When you were thrown to the floor you must've gotten an eye level's view out of the windows.  Big grin

Kidding aside, congrats for maintaining professionalism in the crisis.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

av8rphx

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:22 pm

"girl just get ready and look cute for the firemen and paramedics"

How come whenever I show up on an emergency scene the women never look cute for me??? Big grin

Just a side note, I was working the MSP flight for a few minutes this morning. I am always suprised how full the MSP runs are lately, considering when I usually head back home (MSP area) the flights are usually empty.

[Edited 2004-08-06 05:25:49]

cancidas

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:34 pm

holy sh*t, we flew through his jet wash! eject, eject!! eject, eject, eject!!

sorry, i had to add that. but damn, must have been some experience. i really wonder what caused it. perhaps that that a/c is just too damn heavy for those engines. (at least looks it)
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

CRJboy
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:21 pm

Thanks for all your good responses  Smile I'm glad we are all ok..and nothing happened, except a few spilled cran apple juices and bloody mary mixes. Hehe.

JetMechMD80

Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:59 pm

Just for the record, there so no such thing as a "compressor stall".

It is a surge.
"I get along great with nobody"~ Billy Idol

tbanger

Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:28 pm

Just for the record, there so no such thing as a "compressor stall".

There is a term known as "compressor stall". It is an aerodynamic stall of the first stage compressor. It is a common occurrence on CT7-5 engines as found on Saab 340A models.

It occurs frequently in Australia during the summer time when the air is hot and the pressure is very low. It is more common shortly after takeoff when the aircraft is still flying quite slow.

The fan stalls aerodynamically, as a wing or aerofoil (airfoil) does on a plane. The first thing we do after this happens is do a compressor wash and usually that fixes the problem.........Until the next time anyway.

Any occurrences like this are frightening, especially for the cabin crew, because they aren't exactly aware of what is happening. It is very calming for the pax though, when the FA's keep smiling.......Good job!  Big thumbs up

P.S. Spelling and gramma obviously aren't prerequisites for becoming a Flighty.  Big grin

AZjetgeek

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:27 pm

I realize that the CR9 is the largest in the Bombardier RJ family, but a 3-hour flight on that route seems to warrant a 733 or an A320. Leave it to HP to assign an RJ on a long flight.

CRJBoy - Sounds like you handled yourself well, but please tell me what an "armbreast" is.
Long live the RJ!

JBirdAV8r

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:27 pm

It occurs frequently in Australia during the summer time when the air is hot and the pressure is very low. It is more common shortly after takeoff when the aircraft is still flying quite slow.

These are common conditions for compressor stalls in most turbine engines. As I understand it, one blade on the unit will aerodynamically stall, followed by a "ripple" effect around the other blades caused partially by the disrupted airflow.

Side note: You really shouldn't make disparaging comments like this over the Internet as many companies have policies against it. It could even place your job in jeopardy.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

CRJ 900

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:23 am

Ummm i've had something similar happen in a 200......the a/c was on autopilot,everything was set up nicely in the cruise, smooth beautiful day, we were chattin away and the a/c began to pitch up very gradually, just as we noticed what the hell was going on, the stick shaker went off, the "box" was telling us we were good to max out at FL384 and we were not able to maintain FL370 and well within the weight to do so, we descended lower and all was fine...we wrote it up ended up being a quirk with the autopilot. I've never seen anything like it before....Turbulence or some strange anomoly to that effect is an excellent excuse (to tell the passengers anyways)....For your experience it's hard to say. The people up front didnt debrief you afterwards??? ...Oh and btw my company flies very long routes in the CRJ, it's the way of the future my friends...due to the nature of the incident i'll let you figure it out who I work for.

pumaknight

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:14 am

I have been flying as passenger for many years and so many flights I have lost count, but this year for the first time, I experienced turbulence!! Not rough ride bouncy cloud like turbulence, but real drop out of the sky ....Oh crap what was that type turbulence.

AA 777 from Chicago to LHR, and just after reaching cruising height (FL370) the captain came on to say that there was a strong jet stream and all was looking good for the trip home. Unfortunate timing really, cos 5 mins later we got the ususal minor bumps of jet streaming followed by a resounding fall from the air. Stewardesses floated up, passengers screamed and then the airframe caught air again with a jolt!! Probably only a few hundred feet, but obviously enough the convince the flight crew to re think!!

The captain throttled right back, and pushed the nose forward, we descended to FL310 in a mater of minutes. Controlled, but unusual given the nose down and idle thrust, when we should have been cruising.

I looked at my wife, who had the fear of god in her eyes, and laughed "don't worry even that one made me pucker!!"

The rest of the flight was uneventful apart from the usual bang and drop into LHR, always happens for some reason, maybe a transition from clean to smog laden air Smile/happy/getting dizzy The flight attendant were calm and positive for the rest of the flight despite very nervous passengers. I have always admired flight crew and your story and my experience only reinforces this admiration.

Just my story....Sorry to bore.

NO URLS in signature

PanAm747

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:29 am

Hey CRJBoy!!

You did EXACTLY what a f/a is supposed to do - you maintained your composure and dignity throughout the flight and kept the passengers calm. There's a reason they say "keep your seat belts on at all times EVEN WHEN THE LIGHT IS OFF".

I have flown that route (MSP-PHX) on the CRJ900, and I found it to be a very comfortable plane. The 2x2 seating was terrific, and even with an aisle seat I could still see everything out the window. I actually found the connecting flight to SAN on a 757 to be more uncomfortable (it all depends on the size of your seatmates!!), so to each his own.

F/a's are the best - under appreciated by the vast majority of travelling public. I'm glad you enjoy your job - keep up the great work!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

hemispheres

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:34 am

Sorry, but what is CAT?
"I have to put in my two cents, but I only get a penny for my thoughts. - Someone is making money"

JBirdAV8r

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:39 am

CAT=clear air turbulence

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:40 am

Re: Sorry, but what is CAT?

Cue UTA_FlyingHigh and Pluchette !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ua777222

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:52 am

After about 3hrs of clear air and great weather (LAX-FRa LH 744) the meal service was either starting or ending but the f/a was going through the asile and we pitched WAY WAY up and then back down to our crusing alt. The head f/a caught her leg on a set of head phones and took a nice header. But other than that all was well. The term Brink with Wings has a new meaning.

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

nwa747-400

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:02 am

CRJboy: do you hold a line on Mesa or reserve? what is a or b f/a on the crj700/900?

JetService

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:17 am

How the hell can a cat get sucked into the engines at that altitude??!!!!
"Shaddap you!"

JFKviaPHX

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:30 am

Coming into PHX I always hit turbulence. This is caused by the hot air rising. Into JFK, well that's just fun. Especially when you have a "virgin" into 13L/R.

flyboy7974

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:44 am

if i am correct since the girl i am seeing is a mesa f/a, f/a a or b determines by seniority who is charge of the a/c, and thus, who sits front f/a seat, and who sits back, they then have different in flight calls during the flight, one does commencary, (however you spell that), when they had it, one started to work first class, different job tasks basically

JetMechMD80

Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:37 am

Tbanger,

You don't need to explain turbine engine theory to me. I understand what is going on when what you and many others call a "stall". But the fact remains, there is no such thing, it is a "surge". A "stall" would imply that the compressor stops turning. It does not. And by the way, engine surges are caused by many things. Interruption of airflow, faulty fuel controls, and on the JT8 the PD valve is notorious for causing this. I have had it happen to me, with an engine at T.O. power by just a wind direction change. You always try a run them "into the wind".

JBirdAV8r

Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:08 am

Jetmech,

Hate to disagree with you, but your position is incorrect.

I'm sure you are aware of the physics of an aerodynamic stall. Since any turbine blade in an engine acts as a miniature airfoil, and in the beginnings of a compressor stall the airflow separates from the upper camber of the blade surface, "disrupting" the airflow over subsequent blades in the rotation, it fits the perfect definition of an "aerodynamic stall". As a result of the stalled condition in the compressor blades, the engine experiences a surge.

You must expand yourself beyond the thinking of "stall" in conventional terms...a sudden stoppage. Tbanger clearly mentioned an "aerodynamic stall" which our dear friend Mr. Webster clearly defines in a totally different way.

The definition is correct...otherwise don't you think they'd have changed it a long time ago?  Big grin

Furthermore, it might be a good idea not to take things so personally over the Internet...

JetMechMD80

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:18 am

JBirdAv8r,

First off I am not taking anything personally.

Like I said before, I am fully aware off what is going on here, and I know that the turbine blades are miniature airfoils. As are the compressor blades and the staters. And I understand the concept of aerodynamic "stall". However, my point is, this is not an engine "stall". It is a "surge". And in 20+ years of holding a Airframe and Powerplant ticket I have never seen it referred to anything but a "surge", in any documents. Now, just to make sure I am not talking out the wrong side here, I have the MD-80 MM Chpt 71-00-00 Page 501-550 General- Adjustment/Test pulled up in front of me. No where in it is a compressor "stall" mentioned.
My only reason for saying anything to begin with, is that a lot of misleading information gets passed around in this industry, and people take some of it to be fact. I did not want anyone having the impression that these engines were "stalling". They do not.
That is all, nothing personal.

Greg

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:48 am

Thank God a flight attendant was onboard to smile and save the passengers from instant death!

No offense, but my credit goes to the cockpit crew. By your own admission, your co-worker was falling apart. Not very comforting.

Glad it had a happy ending.

greasespot

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:05 am

But if you look in the overhaul manual of a JT8 you WILL find compressor stall used. It's definition is exactly that...The blades of the compressor stall which causes the engine to surge. I may have only been in aviation for 7 years against your 20 but my job is to try and MAKE a compressor stall on purpose working in engine overhaul. I have been deeper into a jet engine than most line maintenance people will ever get. I can show you all kinds of documentation where the term stall is used.

Just because you may have not seen it does not automatically make you right.

Greasespot
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

JetMechMD80

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:04 pm

Give me a ref, I have the JT8 overhual manuals here also.

miami1

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:52 pm

CRJBoy -
I have to say also it isn't clever to discuss this kind of thing on a public forum. A bit different to discussing it 'inhouse'. Whilst I can appreciate you need to talk about your experience as a method of coping I am 100% confident you broke a company policy in discussing the incident here in such detail.

It's great that you handled it all well and you lived to tell the tale (even though you shouldn't have told us!).

JeffDCA

Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:27 am

CRJBoy,
If i were you i'd remove your last name from your profile, and also change the
'other info' section. Best way to stay anonymous, when you post such stories  Smile

Cheers,

Jeff

PHX757

Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:13 am

Isn't that flight operated by Freedom airlines?

Flt #6549

PHX-MSP

7:45 - 12:43

...now thats weird.. I was checking PBT's online and it says its operated by Freedom, but when you book it, it says Mesa?

Which is it?

-PHX757