Cory6188
Topic Author

EWR-STT Performance

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:36 am

I apologize for all of these EWR-STT threads, but another question popped into my mind when I was booking our trip. Does anyone know how this route performs for CO? I would think that it, along with most of their Caribbean routes, would be a cash cow, as since there is no LCC competition, CO charges "highway robbery" prices for a four-hour flight from EWR. Before I found a consolidator fare of $612 for our family's roundtrip next March, CO's own website was pricing EWR-STT at $759. US flies non-stop out of PHL and AA flies non-stop out of JFK, but their prices are all high as well. ATA's new service out of IND doesn't exactly pose much of a threat to the NYC market.

However, I wonder how successful the route really is considering that they have never added IAH-STT service. POS, GCM, and MBJ have all received IAH service, yet STT still has nothing. What's the reason behind this?

chepos

RE: EWR-STT Performance

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:56 am

SJU also has service from IAH as well as from CLE. Most probably STT is not a big market from IAH, AA does not offer service from DFW to STT either.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

STT757

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:24 am

CO served STT from 1989-1995, the route was EWR-STT-St.Croix with a daily 727 (on occasion they flew an A300 during the peak Winter days). I flew CO from EWR to STT in '93 and '94, the flights were always packed but most everyone was flying to STT. Only about 10-15 would get on or off in St.Croix, mostly locals or folks who worked at the Hess Refinery.

CO dropped STT in 1995 because of a terrible hurricane which really put a hammering on the Island, several hotels were also closed for a few years like the Frenchman's Reef Marriott which reopened in '98 after a major rebuild.

CO relaunched STT in '99-'00 with a 737-700, during the off peak season the flight operates four times a week. Daily during the Winter months.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Cory6188
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:40 am

Has CO ever considered upgrading the plane type on the route (to a 752, perhaps) and adding a stop in STX to make a EWR-STT-STX-EWR wrap flight? I believe that US does this with their flight from CLT or PHL.

STT757

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:45 am

Back 10-12 years every flight to STT on every airline made a stop in St.Croix, at one time Pan Am, AA and CO all flew from NYC (EWR, JFK) to STT and STX.

There's just not that much tourism on the Island, although there is a big Hess Refinery (largest in the Western Hemisphere) and St.Croix is the most populated Island.

Almost everyone has given up on St.Croix, Delta and CO have dropped ST.Croix. And AA has dropped St.Croix from their JFK flight and mainline flights from SJU, they only fly to Miami from St.Croix.

Not enough tourists, very little. Mostly African American tourists.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Cory6188
Topic Author

Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:16 pm

Surely Artsyman or Iahcsr could tell us some more specific details. Where are you two?

tjwgrr

Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:33 pm

CO did operate the 752 from EWR to STT on weekends this past winter/ spring break season. 73G during the week. I don't see the 757 scheduled into STT at all this upcoming winter. Looks like 2-3x per week until February 18, then it goes daily through April from what I can tell. Perhaps as bookings begin to take place, CO may substitute the 757 for the 73G on weekends again.

St. Croix has had some bad press lately. Crime is an ongoing problem which has scared away tourism and cruise lines, although an Italian cruise line is supposed to schedule a stop in St. Croix sometime in the near future. St. Croix is a very beautiful island- too bad about all the negative press.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos