UAPilot7
Topic Author

Where Does AirTran Get Off?!

Wed Feb 23, 2000 7:26 am

How the heck does Air Tran do business? Did you know that if you want to book tickects (on say previewtravel.com or travelocity.com) on Air Tran and another airline, you can't? Its either Air Tran Round Trip, or NOTHING! You could book it twice, each a one-way ticket, but as we all know, most airline have higher one way fares than they do have round trip fares! What I want to know is, why do they do this, and HOW they do this?

BryanG

RE: Where Does AirTran Get Off?!

Wed Feb 23, 2000 1:40 pm

Listen: ALWAYS book your tickets on Airtran from their own website! Recently I booked a round trip MDW-GSO and back for this March. The price on Travelocity was about $40 MORE than the price on www.airtran.com for the exact same flights. I'm not sure why that is.

Also, on Airtran it's easy too book a one-way flight. They're fairly priced (i.e. exactly half of what a round trip would be). Check out www.airtran.com and you'll see what I mean.

Bruce

About AirTran

Thu Feb 24, 2000 2:50 am

I flew on AirTran once and this is the explanation I got. There is no such thing as a round-trip on AirTran. You are buying TWO one way tickets. On a flight where you connect, the whole thing is one ticket. But the return is seperate. When you add up the cost, it is not like other airlines where it costs a lot more. Two one-way tickets on AirTran are competitive to r/t on another.
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

acvitale

Fri Feb 25, 2000 11:39 am

While the above posts are correct it also has to do with Interline agreements. if carriers do not have interline agreements than they cannot both be ticketed on the same stock (ticket).... Southwest does this as well as many others.. Try booking Southwest and American on the same ticket... LMAO... Call me when successful... LOL

HyperMike

Sat Feb 26, 2000 1:05 am

AirTran, like many other carriers, are offering discounts on their own websites because it's cheaper for them to issue the ticket than it is to pay a travel agency to do it.

Yes, Travelocity is a travel agency.

Here is what I don't understand.... US Airways outsources their online booking to Travelocity. Does that make sense?