kl911

Iberia Plane Returns To Save Life Of A Dog

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:21 pm

Unbelievable story, but very well done Iberia!

Link: ( Spanish only, sorry... )

http://www.elcomerciodigital.com/pg040806/actualidad/asturias/200408/06/vuelo.html

In short : 25 July, 20 minutes after leaving Malaga, an Iberia plane had to return to the airport to save the life of a dog in the cargohold since the teperature regulation didn't work. The captain was afraid that the dog would freeze to death. On board nobody complained and after landing they put the dog in the cabin and took off again.

KL911

PanAmerican

RE: Iberia Plane Returns To Save Life Of A Dog

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:38 pm

Isn't there usually a connection between the cabin and the cargo hold? I would have thought it to be possible to access the lower level area from the cabin and get the dog out. I guess it depends on what plane we're talking about...

Anyway, I wonder who gets the bill for the extra fuel burned. But nice of the captain to turn around.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy PA
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

FoxBravo

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:01 am

I have heard of this happening a few times in the U.S. as well. The temperature in the cargo hold is regulated separately from the cabin, and it's generally not possible to access a dog in a kennel surrounded by other suitcases, cargo, etc. without landing and opening the door.

I think the fuel costs to the airline probably pale in comparison to the bad publicity that would be generated by knowingly killing someone's beloved pet!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

AirOrange

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:47 am

My brother-in-law did such a rescue operation too when he, as a captain, flew the Transavia Airlines' Boeing from Greece to Amsterdam. He rescued two dogs by decending steeply and landing on the nearest airport.
There was no error in the heating system. The people of the Greek airport put the dogs in the wrong cargo room.

Sorry, I have the Iberia story of the Dachshund only in Dutch:

Vliegtuig keert terug om hondenleven te redden

Uitgegeven: 6 augustus 2004 15:37
Laatst gewijzigd: 6 augustus 2004 16:42
OVIEDO - Een passagiersvliegtuig van de Spaanse maatschappij Iberia is twintig minuten na het opstijgen naar het vliegveld van Málaga teruggevlogen om het leven van de teckel Emilio te redden. De temperatuurregulatie in de bagageruimte werkte niet, waardoor het gevaar bestond dat Emilio zou doodvriezen.

De tekkel is eigendom van Ana Fernández die in het Zuid-Spaanse Málaga woont. Haar vader José Antonio Fernández en moeder Azucena Villameitide hadden Ana in Málaga bezocht. Toen Fernández en Villameitide naar Asturië in het noordwesten van Spanje terugvlogen, namen ze Emilio mee, omdat hun dochter op vakantie zou gaan.

In de vrijdageditie van de krant El Comercio zei Fernández dat de passagiers eerst niet wilden geloven dat de piloot na twintig minuten terugvloog om bevriezing van Emilio te voorkomen. "Niemand protesteerde'', aldus Fernández. "Veel mensen maakten zich zorgen over Emilio.''

Na terugkeer in Málaga bleek de teckel niets te mankeren. Emilio werd in de ruimte van de stewards en stewardessen gezet, waarna het vliegtuig opnieuw opsteeg.

yyz717

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:57 am

That was a very decent thing for the pilot to do. Kudos to him.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

AirplanePeanut

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:20 am

Heres English!

A flight of Iberia that went to Asturias from Malaga returned to the airport of which it had taken off twenty minutes due to the danger that ran the life of a race dog teckel call "Emilio" due to a failure in the pressurization of the cabin of luggage in which it traveled. ImprimirEnviar agencies the facts happened 25 of July the past when the jeweler Jose Antonio Fernandez and their wife Villameitide Lily returned to the Principality after spending days in Malaga, where resides their daughter Ana, proprietor of the animal. The owner of "Emilio" was spending days in France which forced ' abuelos' of the mascot to become position of the dog that, according to Fernandez, is "customary" to fly since it travels in airplane several times to the year in the displacements from his proprietor to Asturias or Madrid. According to Fernandez, the dog traveled "with all the papers in order" in a cage located in the compartment of luggage of the airplane and, to the twenty minutes of flight, the commander announced that they returned to Malaga due to the freezing risk that supposed for the animal the detected problems of pressurization. "the rest of passengers in principle was not believed that the this one outside reason to give the return and thought that it was another type of failure, but when returning to the airport and verifying that it was thus nobody it protested and many worried about the state of the dog", added. Fernandez as much indicated that during the passage from return to Malaga he as their wife badly spent "a short while" when thinking that they would have to say to his daughter who its mascot had passed away since the temperature in the outside of the airplane went up to around the thirty degrees below cero. After the landing, the dog, that did not suffer any damage, was transferred in its cage to the space that habitually occupies the stewardesses in the airplane that resumed then the trip towards the Airport of Asturias, at which it arrived with a delay from hour and means with respect to the predicted schedule.

AirplanePeanut

KLMyank

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:37 am

Trident2E- What a ridiculous assertion. You go freeze to death, before you go to hell.
Bravo Iberia...

Logan22L

AirplanePeanut: Well, at least the words are in English!

Trident2e: Sounds like you're just looking to stir up the pot. If you're serious, then you sound more like a NO Class Member than a First Class Member. Personally, I commend the pilot for his actions.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

kl911

Trident2e,

''Crazy pilot! All dogs should be shot in my opinion.''

Persons who say stupid things should be shot as well then... bye bye...
I can't believe someone of your age saying such childish things.

trident2e

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:43 am

Seems the Dutch are dog lovers. Klmyank and KL911 - go and get yourselves a sense of humour transplant as you are both clearly deficient in this area.

kalakaua

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:45 am

"Crazy pilot! All dogs should be shot in my opinion."

Oh grow up. Stop being a dick.  Insane
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

SafetyDude

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:46 am

I am glad to hear that airlines care about all of their passengers.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

kalakaua

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:10 am

"I'll hold whatever opinions I choose, though I know that will be a difficult concept for an American to grasp."

Oooh. Picking on me now, eh?! Nice comeback or not...  Wink/being sarcastic
You've already hurt your credibility by saying that you'd shoot a dog so that you'd go on your merry way just to arrive on time... So what if I'm an American?! I know that I'm mature than you, it seems. You're outnumbered so your battle is lost. Give the dog a break.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

kl911

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:10 am

Trident2e,

Do you have a problem or something? I know many dogs that behave better then you do. Let's just concentrate on the airline part of this story.......

KL911

ua777222

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:20 am

I think Trident2e got his ass kick by a dog back in the day. I give credit to the pilot for his actions. Screw the costs of gas and whatnot. A pissed off passenger is not worth the bad media and costs that in the end will be cause.

Get a life and grow up Trident2e, you're at least 36 and you're arguing about a dog.... What's that say?

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

TACAA320

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:32 am

An applause to the IB captain!!!!!

Trident2e Thanks God more people do love animals (not only dogs) than hate them like you.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

trident2e

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:44 am

I don't hate the entire animal kingdom, just dogs. They are useless creatures that seem to have no other purpose than to make their owners' homes stink and infested with fleas. I certainly wouldn't want my flight to be turned back to save one of them and I would shed no tears over a dead dog. I think some Far Eastern countries have the right idea - the best place for them is on a menu.

Kalakaua - I really don't mind being criticised, but at least have the courtesy to pay attention to your grammar.

kalakaua

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:50 am

Just shut it already. "They are useless creatures?!" Now there, stop being hard on yourself. And for just yo'u i Practice grammar good.  Yeah sure

Type-Rated

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:25 am

"They are useless creatures that seem to have no other purpose than to make their owners' homes stink and infested with fleas..."

If you really think the above statement is true, then you have been around some irresponsible dog owners. In this day and age with proper training and flea control products on the market this just isn't true anymore.

Trident2E, your arrogance astounds me!

As for your claims of rationalized people being the "thought" police, grow up.
You are allowed to "think" anyway you want, but you don't have to hand out this drivel that is only inflammatory in nature. Is it your nature to agitate people?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

miamiair

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:41 am

Trident2e:

Be nice now, just because the we got kicked out for wanting to believe in what we choose, we ended up become a great nation and saved your ass not once but twice. So put a cork in it.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

aa61hvy

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:50 am

Actually Trident- its been scientifically proven that dogs lower the stress in ones live. But I guess you don't come into contact with much life living in your parents basement and all.

I am more than willing to show you a source or two. GOOD NITE ARROGANT ONE.
Go big or go home

N670UW

Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:01 am

Very nice story to hear. Well done IB.

They are useless creatures that seem to have no other purpose than to make their owners' homes stink and infested with fleas.

Well, there's a simple solution to your problem: don't get a dog.

I think some Far Eastern countries have the right idea - the best place for them is on a menu.

Well you're certainly free to move to the Far East.

trident2e

Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:46 am

It's just SO easy to wind up you people! Best fun I've had all day.

alphascan

Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:55 am

I commend the dog that kicked Trident's ass!

Seems like its time for another ass kickin Fido.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

trident2e

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:16 am

OK, time to stop playing now children. Anyway, the wife's moaning at me to take the dogs for a walk.

aa61hvy

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:24 am

Man if thats the best fun you've had all day your life must suck
Go big or go home

LHR27C

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:32 am

This did happen with BA I think some years ago now, I recall reading that a west coast US - LHR flight diverted into an east coast US airport because a cargo hold temperature indicator malfunctioned and the pilot feared for the life of the small dog in the hold.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

AF777ER

Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:23 am

The Iberia Captain made a very good decision.

Trident2e- if airliners.net had a direspected user list, you'd be on mine

charliecossie

Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:34 am

LHR27C:
It was IAH or DFW to LGW and a DC10.
Temperature control (of the rear hold) failed and went to full hot.
The crew called LGW tech control on HF radio to ask for advice.
The ground engineer told them a number of things to try, none of which
worked. At the end of it all the engineer gave the crew 2 choices:-
continue to London and dead dog or land and save the dog.
Captain chose to land (Boston or Bangor) and became a bit of a
hero (picture in the papers, flight crew award from BA) while the
ground engineer at LGW was conveniently forgotten about......

kl911

Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:57 am

Thanks guys for the great reactions!

I've got a dog, his name is Boomer, he flies everywhere I go, and he wanted me to start this topic. He also would like to bite Trident2e's in the nuts.

KL911 & Boomer

Flyinround731

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:14 am

"They are useless creatures that seem to have no other purpose than to make their owners' homes stink and infested with fleas..."

While I do agree that they can stink up homes and spread fleas if not cared for properly ie:given baths everyday and proper medications, calling them useless is absolutely ludicrous. St. Bernards are used in the Alps, or were used in the past to find people in avalanches. Then, we have the bloodhounds, they catch criminals, and find lost people. Dalmations we're used in the early firefighting days to guide the horses pulling the fire equipment, to provide compainionship to the firefighters in the firehouses and the horses in the stables, and later to guard fire equipment and trucks from being stolen back in the days when fire companies were competing against each other. The seeing eye dogs (not sure which breeds are used) help the blind to get around. There are other breeds that can guard property or protect us too. You're entitled to your own opinion, but I just wanted to show how "useless" these creatures are.
-Joe

Type-Rated

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:27 am

Flyinround731:

I appreciate your posting. However, you would not want to bathe a dog everyday, it would lead to very dry skin. About once a month is usually fine.

Do you have a Dalmatian? While lots of people know that they are the "firehouse dog", very few know about the guarding of the station equipment and the horses. I grew up with Dalmatians. They are quite remarkable animals. Very astute of you to bring this up.

The most common seeing eye dogs are German Shepards, Golden Retreivers, Labrador Retreivers (in alpabetic order). Let's not forget about "service animals", these dogs are invaluable to the disabled. They are used to retreive objects, turn lights on and off, etc.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

OB1504

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:35 am

I love all dogs, unless they injure me, and I love my own two Golden Retrievers even more! Kudos to the captain! Great job for saving a dog's life!  Smile I know which airline I'll be flying if I have to travel with my dogs (as long as they fly there)!

And besides, if someone can sue an airline for tight seat pitch, imagine the controversy if the dog's owner sued Iberia, which they should've rightly done if they hadn't turned back.

NWADC9

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:33 am

What he's trying to say is probably that a dog is just an animal and it doesn't matter if it dies or not. It's just a thing!

That's what I think too, but animals are creatures and you shouldn't just kill them for no reason or inhumanely.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

md80fanatic

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:32 pm

The value of an animal is what the owner chooses to put upon it. Passengers who travel with pets more than likely don't consider their animals as livestock, so therefore the animal should be considered "one-of-the-family"....If the family had their choice they would have the dog top-side. So the flight should proceed as if someone's son or daughter were travelling ala luggage bin. Sorry but I can tell the difference between a dog and livestock.

COAMiG29

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:40 pm

apparently there is a mix of opinions here.

Trident2e thinks the dog should die and most everyone else disagrees.

as for me i dont care for dogs i have no problem with dogs dying in humane ways. freezing to death in a plane is not a humane death. if it was a baby instead of a dog no one would care. i know the comparison is exagerated but the point is that people bond with their dogs and there is no reason for unhumain death if it can be avoided.

lets get back to the aviation part

--COAMiG29--
If Continental had a hub at DFW with nonstop flights I would always fly them, unfortunantely good things take time.

AvObserver

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:07 pm

The pilot did indeed make the right decision and in fact, elevated his stature and that of the airline, for that matter, with the bulk of the passengers. Precious few, aside from the likes of Trident2e, would balk about turning around to save a pet's life; to many, pets are nearly as important as children. Another consideration, at least for American carriers, is that they might well get sued for not turning around with the animal's death as a result. So, kudos to that pilot and to Iberia, by association. Trident2e, whether in humor or not, that was a ridiculously stupid post to make; you had to know you'd get flamed for it.  Angry

TACAA320

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:11 pm

The main topic is if the Pilot did it right or wrong, and if he (or the airline he represent) is or not responsible not only for the paxs but for the living animals trusted to the them.

According with the best of my knowledge he (the Pilot) is responsible for the dog (a living animal ) that was given to IB for transportation (and his owner paid for that). Even more, for safe transportation, even if he, the rest of the crew, the paxs, or the rest of the world likes them (dogs) or not. (Everything under the consideration that the "salvation act" don´t put in risk the paxs integrity.)

And my conclusion is that the Pilot act humanly and did the right thing.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

N754PR

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:16 pm

Trident2e,

Your one can short of a six pack.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

Philaboy

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:57 pm

I cannot believe hell is being raised over who likes dogs.....

Heres my view. Either, 1. You don't like dogs, this thread is not for you, so bye bye. or, 2. This is a lovely story about saving an animal, which just happened to be aviation related.

The passengers made it to their destination and the dog is safe and sound. OK, so Chill out

Move on....

Have a nice day, or night depending what part of the world you are in.

TACAA320

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:03 pm

I agree with your second point of view Philaboy...

So... Good night to you!

trident2e

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:02 pm

N754pr - Thank you for your observation. Can you advise me where to obtain the missing can? Oh, and for future reference it's you're, not your.

kalakaua

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Who the bloody hell are you, Trident2e?! The Grammar Police?! Give it a rest. Oh, and for future reference, please do use proper punctuation marks.  Yeah sure And leave this thread, with whatever dignity you have left.

Pe@rson

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:40 pm

What he's trying to say is probably that a dog is just an animal and it doesn't matter if it dies or not. It's just a thing!

That's what I think too, but animals are creatures and you shouldn't just kill them for no reason or inhumanely."

What you appear to forget is that we - humans - are also animals. But for our usage of tools, we would almost certainly be weaker than dogs, for we have no sharp claws or caines; we cannot run that fast; we have poor hearing; we have a poor sense of smell; we have no flurr so protect ourselves from the cold; and so on. We are, however, sociable animals (safety in numbers) and we have good colour vision and better than average vision. In short, humans are - without the usage of tools - about as powerful as chimpanzees.

I am personally glad that the plane returned to AGP and the dog was taken out.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

TS-IOR

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:44 pm

Oooh GREAT !!!

IBERIA should be applauded and awarded by the WWF !!!
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.

LHR27C

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:50 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Charliecossie. I think I read it in the BAA's "Heathrow: Celebration of 50 years" - quite what it has to with LHR...
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

AvianceGirlUK

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:52 pm

Yes how nice of Iberia, considering they chucked a group of deaf people off their flight from LHR last week for not having a speaking member of the group on board.. maybe they thought it was time to do something good for an animal in need instead...
Makes me sick.

foxdelta

Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:52 pm

The aircraft involved was an Air Nostrum (IberiaRegional) CRJ200.

Cheers

smcmac32msn

Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:00 pm

I am glad to hear that airlines care about all of their passengers.

Hmmm.... glad a dog can ride in the cabin. Just don't TRY to fly deaf, this IS the same airline that kicked deaf people out because it was a "safety hazard". What if somebody in the cabin is allergic to dogs... that could cause them to divert again!
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

TACAA320

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:11 pm

"Yes how nice of Iberia, considering they chucked a group of deaf people off their flight from LHR last week for not having a speaking member of the group on board.. maybe they thought it was time to do something good for an animal in need instead...
Makes me sick." AviancegirlUK

Don't get sick.

At least they did it before they were on board, and in a civilized manner.

AA952 literally kick off two on board in transit passengers to San Jose, because of the way she was dressed, that was considered potencially offensive to other passengers.