InnocuousFox
Topic Author

Kicked Off The Parking Garage While Spotting @ OMA

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:28 am

On 8/5, I was up there about 2 1/2 hours before my wife's flight was to come in from IAH. I usually camp out on the NE corner right above the HP gate. I was all strapped on with my scanner/headphones and my binocs - no camera this time since the wife had it on her trip. After a few hours, an Omaha cop comes up and asks me what I'm doing (note that this was a special trip since there were only 2 cars on the roof). I show him my ID, etc. and he asks where I got the printed lists of the arrivals and departures - of course, I tell him they are straight off of Eppley's website (duh). He was quite impressed that I could hear the ATC as well (again with the "duh").

Anyway, I told him that I was an enthusiast and that, since my wife was coming in on the flight from Houston, I showed up early to watch/listen/enjoy. He took down her name and flight info so he could check it. After that, he left. About 20 minutes later, he comes back with his supervisor and tells me "there is no one by that name on the flight". I told him (in a nutshell), "well, you're wrong". I figured I would have heard long before if she had missed the flight for some reason. He tells me Continental told him as much. *shrug*

He also adds that the tower was getting very nervous by me being up there (boy is THAT a load of crap!) and that they were looking right at me, etc. Well, she was due in about 20 minutes so I agreed to pack up and head downstairs.

I went straight to the CO desk and asked the lady... "I need to find out if a person is on the flight coming in from Houston." She gives me this line about not being able to give that information out. I told her that some cop was giving me a hard time because "YOU told him my wife, [insert name], was not on that flight". This got her attention... because she recognized the name. She asked the agent next to her who had actually handled the request. Apparently, CO 2178 from IAH to OMA continues on with the same flight number to EWR... and they had checked the OMA-EWR leg for my wife's name.

I don't know whether the miscommunication was between me and the cop, him and the agent, or what... but I was not pleased. I happened upon the supervisor immediately afterwards and told him, in kind of an annoyed voice, that they checked the wrong flight and that she WAS indeed where I had told his buddy she would be. He shrugged it off like he hadn't really inconvenienced me at all.

Anyway, while I was waiting, I looked northwest out from behind the Omaha Steaks display (where you can see the approach to 14R) just in time to see an EMB peeling off the approach and heading back NW. I knew that it was hers and I was dying to know what happened! If I had my scanner on - and if I had been on the roof, I would have known if the tower had called a go around or if the pilot had declared a missed. *shrug* My wife said the approach was wobbly (there was a wind from about 100 and gusty) but I don't know what the answer was.

Anyway, that's my adventure. I would love to find that dude on here who is the OMA operations guy and have him talk to the tower people about what happened. I know that the lady controller was on duty at the time. Oh, well.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

trident2e

RE: Kicked Off The Parking Garage While Spotting @ OMA

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:32 am

You were clearly a terrorist threat and a danger to the wellbeing of the USA (!).

Greg

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:36 am

Seems like your making a huge deal out of nothing.
Can't watch planes from the garage? Big deal.
Doesn't sound like they were rude--and they acted on the information that was given to them.

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:37 am

Oooh - off to G-bay with you, wicked man !

Was he a real policeman, or a rent-a-cop ? If he was only a security guard, CO shouldn't have volunteered any info on your wife's booking at all.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

IDISA

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:45 am

Hey guys, this is another example of how paranoiac sometimes people may become.... in the name of safety (what safety??) I've seen in many airports the most unbelievable things you can imagine and many similar stories...
People on the tower becoming nervous because of your presence??
That's simply tragi-comic.....

Regards

InnocuousFox
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:09 am

"Was he a real policeman, or a rent-a-cop?"

As mentioned in the story, he was a real Omaha Police dude. Not even the traffic guys in the yellow shirts in front of the terminal... a real one.

LambertSTL777

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:19 am

Small airports like OMA always pull stunts like that. Their security/police like to think that they'll be able to stop some terrorist, and make it on the news or something. You were doing nothing wrong, but those cops have nothing better to do..
Triple shifts everday 6/19 - 7/1..Won't be on much

swissgabe

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:21 am

I was once "removed" from a parking area at LAX near this restaurant with a "bird" in it's name.

Another place I have been removed was at HNL. The cop told me, that FAA prohibits to take pictures of aircrafts (!) at HNL.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

JGPH1A

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:22 am

Swissgabe - it was probably because of the North Korean flag  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

freshlove1

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:33 am

It took this cop this long to come up there and bother you??? I could understand if you were up there 10 min and he rolled up but a few hours?? He probably had nothing better to do like most cops and he wanted to make himself feel important by harassing you. Are there any signs that say you can't do what you were doing?? If not I would have pointed this out to the cop and told him to leave you alone.

727LOVER

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:39 am

Seems like your making a huge deal out of nothing.
Can't watch planes from the garage? Big deal.

Mind telling us why one should N O T be able to watch planes from a garage? What exactly is the threat??????????????

Love Trumps Hate

swissgabe

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:40 am

JGPH1A
you want to say that I shouldn't have gone there with Kim on my T-shirt?
cheers!
 Big grin
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

BandA

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:07 am

The only decent airport with good traffic near me is SEA and since they have pretty much gotten rid of all the good spotting areas around the rwy the only place I could see anything was from the garage top... The last three times I was at SEA thats where I was on the garage and ATC is quite visible from there... I had my cameras etc as well... Since I am brown... the thought of being asked to leave did cross my mind... but to my surprise I was'nt bothered at all...

I am not saying that you are complaining about your experience, you are probably just mentioning it. But I think of it this way - just put yourself in the ATC or Cops shoes... if you were responsible for making sure that the people you are serving arent threatened or hurt by terrorists... I would expect you to behave the same as the cop did in your case... he is just trying to do his job as we all expect him to do...
"They [Terrorists] never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - GWB

Leneld

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:17 am

That's amazing! I spot all of the time from the garage at PDX and not once have I been harrassed by the cops. Maybe since Omaha is a small airport, that police officer really did not have anything else better to do with his time.

PHLapproach

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:21 am

Freshlove-"Are there any signs that say you can't do what you were doing??"

At FLL a cop gave me a problem, I had said the same thing to him as you said above. He then threatened me with Federal Prison, and how close I am from going. Because i'm violating a federal law which "Prohibits pictures at the end of a runway". "But you can go to the viewing area and take pictures on The Side of the Runway!!" Ok buddy you can't tell the difference between a threatening individual and a 16 year old with glasses and braces, HAHA.

You are right on the made up stuff about ATC being nervous. I know many ATC's at PHL and they do not have the time to be looking for people. I don't know how high OMA tower is, but it's very hard to see someone from a tower.

Pe@rson

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:32 am

His reaction certainly seems over-the-top - paranoid, perhaps - in relation to the incident. He probably knew precisely what you were doing - spotting, that is - but just bullying you into answering his predictable questions.

This excessive behaviour is also what happens at ORD: if you stand looking through a hotel window (I believe it could be the Hilton's) at the aircraft for a long period, someone will see you and you'll suddenly have a few people barging into your room - they don't knock - to ask what you're doing. The thing is, they know exactly what you are doing as they've done this many times before. It's simply bullying.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MD11Engineer

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:36 am

I think those cops are full of BS. I don´t think a federal law (or a FAA rule) exists, which prohibits spotting or taking photographies of planes. If a similar thing happened to me here in Germany, I´d get the duty number of the cop and he´ll get a letter from my lawyer a few days later.
The only thing they might charge you with is tresspassing on private property by entering the garage.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

InnocuousFox
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:55 am

"I don't know how high OMA tower is, but it's very hard to see someone from a tower. "

It's right on the terminal next to the parking garage. I was maybe 60 yards from it. Trust me... they could see me quite well.

qqflyboy

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:58 am

InnocuousFox...

In all seriousness, CO violated their own privacy policy in divulging that information to police without a warrant. I don't know what their policy is exactly, but the fact the agent told you she couldn't tell you if your wife was on the flight means she couldn't tell the cop, either. I know this is taking it far, but I am serious. At the very least you should file a complaint with CO and the Omaha Police Deparment.

That airport is partially funded by federal funds, and therefore, accessible to the general public.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

InnocuousFox
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:02 am

Qq... that's a good point. I should ask about that.

NWA757

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:07 am

You were clearly a terrorist threat and a danger to the wellbeing of the USA (!). Who kicked you off? The TSA? I don´t think a federal law (or a FAA rule) exists, which prohibits spotting or taking photographies of planes. Everyone is paranoid of us just for taking pictures! Pictures are great. Best Wishes!!
Fly High!

RaginMav

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:11 am

This is a bit bizzare Fox... DSMav8er and I stood on the garrage waiting for the Super Connie for 2 hours with binocs and a camera with what seemed like a 4 foot long lense, and nobody gave us a second glance.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Aric Thalman

The reason it seems so dumb is because it is a smaller airport. I know for a fact the tower and airport cops know DSMav8er by name, as well as many of the ops guys, but he's never mentioned a problem with this here in OMA (however, an international airport 3 hours south on I-29 is another story).

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get to go flying yesterday, the 172 I was renting failed the mag check.

OPNLguy

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:22 am

With all the increasingly common media stories of OBL operatives supposedly out seeking intelligence on potential targets on everything from A-Z, I think one can now pretty much expect this kind of treatment from now on.

That doesn't make it "right" of course, but look at it from the other side. Someone in the tower (or elsewhere) sees "someone" that raises their suspicion. The observer doesn't have a long-range "intent detector", so they call the police. They don't have an "intent detector" either, but they come out, ask questions, and frequently abuse their authority and/or cite bogus rules/regs in the process. It doesn't take them long to figure out that you're not really a threat, but they keep the ball rolling to disuade you from returning and "bothering" them again, or otherwise wasting their time.

Like I said, I don't like it any more than you, but I think it's now a sign of the times....  Sad
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

InnocuousFox
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:30 am

"This is a bit bizzare Fox... DSMav8er and I stood on the garrage waiting for the Super Connie for 2 hours with binocs and a camera with what seemed like a 4 foot long lense, and nobody gave us a second glance."

I know... I've done it before. I've even gone out there just for the helluvit even when I'm not expecting any one. The only problem I ever had was when I was up north of 32L on Lindbergh shooting departures over my head. The cop pointed out that Lindbergh is technically airport property. I then moved to the garage at that point. (This was about 16 months ago, I think.)

Someone needs to drop my name to the tower crew and the airport police and tell them I'm cool.

RaginMav

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:34 am

Someone needs to drop my name to the tower crew and the airport police and tell them I'm cool

Yeah, next time I golf with my good friend Don Smithey I'll let him know. Big grin

InnocuousFox
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:35 am

(I just shot an email to "Dash 80" who works airport ops at OMA... hopefully he will jump in here.)

DSMav8r

Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:37 am

I seriously have never had a problem on the garage at Eppley. However, I also try and not make myself obviously visible too. I sit in my car between shots, I don't wear a camera, scanner, and binoculars around my neck (duh) and just try to keep a low profile. Yes, the tower CAN see you and am somewhat surprised they called in a report. The encounters I have experienced were either accidental (cop walking around on his break, cop drives by as I am going back into my car, etc...), but, I have never been asked to leave.

If I were you, I would call the Airport Police, explain the situation and go from there. You can photograph all you want from the garage (afterall, you are paying an arm and a leg to be up there...), just try and educate them about photographers...They know about us, i've been doing it for years, they've seen me, i've seen them, I even know some of the guys.
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

MD11Engineer

Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:59 am

If you can´t question or challenge police action, esp. if they make up bogus "laws", then the country is on it´s best way to become a police state. This trend applies not only to the US, but to the whole western world.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

miamix707

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:05 am

At FLL a cop gave me a problem, I had said the same thing to him as you said above. He then threatened me with Federal Prison, and how close I am from going. Because i'm violating a federal law which "Prohibits pictures at the end of a runway". "But you can go to the viewing area and take pictures on The Side of the Runway!!" Ok buddy you can't tell the difference between a threatening individual and a 16 year old with glasses and braces, HAHA

lol Something similar happened to me. Was he an obese older "gentleman" by any chance? I was inside my car near the Amerijet building watching planes turn after landing on 27R. This cop is speeding towards me, pulls next to my car, as if I'm supposed to be intimidated by this move and tells me I can't be there, the viewing area is on the other side. I dont remember what my response was but he told me 'DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM?" I stared at him like.. wow you are one dumb fool while i was leaving. As I drove away I missed a shot of the Shamu 737, to this day I dont have a shot of it! I don't know who is these people's boss but I swear if some illiterate cop spits out something rude at me again they are gonna hear about it.

Don't mean to offend anyone but those rednecks in s.florida are the most rude in all of Florida. If one of them is a cop and they approach you, they don't even say how you doing, they'll just start bitching at you. I was just at John U. Lloyd last week and parked my car near the picknick area so my grandma didn't have to walk to the car. This cop/ranger who had been driving around the place for about 20 mins doing nothing comes up to me, no how are you, no nothing. Hey, don't you know this road is for official vhicles only? I only got a warning but as I told him I seen him driving through and didn't see no sign he got in my face to threaten me with a ticket. These fools with nothing to do apparently need to go take a human relations course.

I almost wrote the park administrators a letter. Some 16 year old ranger to whom I'd said hello earlier since he stared at me while passing by, comes out of nowhere on a 4 wheeler and asks him: are you giving him a ticket? then laughs.. So I because I was wearing a shirt with sleeves cut off or because I'm young, does that mean I don't deserve respect? Really, if you can avoid cops and all these idiots in S. florida.. avoid them

If you are a US spotter, save some money and go to Europe. If you want to have a peaceful time without law enfocement bothering you take a cruise, don't come to Florida.

FL1TPA

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:39 am

This isn't really off the topic but more to the side...

I don't think the CO agent was wrong in telling the police the status of your wife's reservation. In TPA if the airport police ask us if a certain individual holds a reservation or is on a particular flight, we tell them and ONLY them. Anyone but the police and we politely say "I'm sorry but we can't give out information about a customer unless the customer noted such in their reservation or you actually purchased the flight for that person."

Think of it this way: If we said to the airport police the statement I quoted above and asked for a warrant, we would be in more hot water that a crawfish at a Cajun restaurant.

Tim.

<>
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue."

n0aaa

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:42 am

Interesting discussion. I've done this from the top of the garage at Midway (waiting to pick up my wife or some other folks), once with my son, and once alone. Copy showed up once and I told him my son and I wanted to watch planes while waiting for his mother (this was after 9/11). He had no problem with it. The new terminal restricts the view quite a bit and the planters (and plants) are a real pain, especially when it is cold and you have to crane to see over them. We also drove around O'Hare about three times one Saturday looking for spots and found a number of them. No one seemed to notice or care. Air Force One comes into CID regularly (almost as regularly as Air Force Two did four years ago) and the Secret Service has chased us out of the regular parking area and checked our lawn chairs (in tubular nylon carriers.... like all soccer families have in their vans) any number of times, especially when we are parking in unusual spots (you can see the whole runway from a gravel road south of the field, but from nowhere else). The locals know who we are and seldom bother us, no matter how oddly we behave! --Jan

miamix707

Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:43 am

I would imagine controllers are busy enough inside the tower to be concerned about an invdividual on the rooftop parking.

The MCO tower is very tall, I wonder if it's done with any kind of security in mind to look all around the airport.

Ryan h

Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:33 am

After reading stuff like this I am too intimidated to visit the US. Sounds like cops are very arrogant.
I just hope Australia does not end up like America.
South Australian Spotter www.ryanhothersall.net

InnocuousFox
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:40 am

"After reading stuff like this I am too intimidated to visit the US. Sounds like cops are very arrogant.
I just hope Australia does not end up like America."

Aside from the fact that this is mildly insulting, it is a horrificly sweeping generalization.

access-air

RE: Kicked Off The Parking Garage While Spotting @

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:07 am

Wait.....it gets even better guys!!!!!

The Brits are trying to get a new item passed called the "Preparatory Act" .....

Here's and exceprt from a Civil spotters post, passed on from a friend of mine.

*******Home Secretary David Blunkett may introduce a new offence of "Engaging in acts preparatory to terrorism" in the autumn.

It is likely to include measures to ensure the security of Government
Buildings,
Military Installations and Facilities for mass transportation, such as
Airports,
Seaports and the Rail Network.

A "Preparatory Act" would include, Taking notes, Making diagrams or
models &
Photography and/or recording them by any means i.e. written, electronic
etc. for
storage or transmission to others.***********

Apparently we are not people anymore...we are prisoners....You can bet sure as Sh*t that it wont take long before our US Government tries to impose this crap on us!!!!

Makes me sick!!!!!!!!!!!

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

smcmac32msn

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:27 am

You were clearly a terrorist threat and a danger to the wellbeing of the USA (!).

Do you really think somebody would miss Omaha, NE? I'm sure thats the hub of all terrorist activities in the US! LOL. Will we lose some of our grain supply?  Smile
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

tpk

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:28 am

After reading stuff like this I am too intimidated to visit the US. Sounds like cops are very arrogant.
I just hope Australia does not end up like America.

I have to say I agree with you, Ryan. I live in the US and over the past year I've shot more in Australia than here and most of that has to do with how nice it is to not have to constantly worry about being hassled while watching planes.

JBirdAV8r

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:32 am

You do realize how short-sighted you're being?

Sure, they lied to you...the regulations they told you about don't exist, and you should nail them on that. But really...you had no business there other than picking up your wife...something that should be done from your car.

If you want to watch airplanes, get a tour of the tower or something. Do it legally so there's no question.

You people make me laugh...can you not see where the police is coming from at ALL?

Suppose someone exploited that security hole...talk about shitcanned....
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

smcmac32msn

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:37 am

You do realize how short-sighted you're being?

Sure, they lied to you...the regulations they told you about don't exist, and you should nail them on that. But really...you had no business there other than picking up your wife...something that should be done from your car.

If you want to watch airplanes, get a tour of the tower or something. Do it legally so there's no question.

You people make me laugh...can you not see where the police is coming from at ALL?

Talk about short-sighted... where are the police coming from, the DONUT SHOP?? Do we really need to be security screened and have a special little ticket to park our cars in the parking garage? He'd have to get out of his car anyways, I'm not so positive that he'd let his wife walk through the parking garage looking for THEIR CAR! Do you know how tough that is, even at a small airport like OMA? BTW... they don't give tours of the tower... should people who like airplanes who live near airports be screened and harrassed for sitting on their porches watching planes go over-head? Whats the difference? Go back and smoke your "peace pipe" some more.

tpk

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:38 am

I respect your opinion, but can you explain exactly which security hole is being exploited by a guy in a parking structure watching planes? Seems pretty harmless to me. At worst, it should take the cop a two minute conversation with the spotter to know he's not a threat.

InnocuousFox
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:54 am

"Do you really think somebody would miss Omaha, NE? I'm sure thats the hub of all terrorist activities in the US!"

Do you realize that for 40 years, Omaha was the #1 nuclear target in the US due to SAC? Do you realize that we have more Fortune 500 companies than Boston or LA? Do you realize that there are more millionares per capita here than pretty much any other city in the country? Silly boy.

"You people make me laugh...can you not see where the police is coming from at ALL?"

The point being, they AREN'T covering the security holes. They are mindlessly applying things that they think are a problem - but aren't even remotely close to being an issue at all.

smcmac32msn

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:00 am

The point being, they AREN'T covering the security holes. They are mindlessly applying things that they think are a problem - but aren't even remotely close to being an issue at all.

COPS MINDS:
IMPORTANT: Why isn't strawberry/blueberry/cream filled long johns the doughnuts of the month at The Donut Shak?

UNIMPORTANT: Security issues at the airport.

IMPORTANT: MMMMMMMMM....... DOUGHNUT!

Well, you get the idea.

EDIT: The only holes that cops cover are Doughnut Holes.

miamix707

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:27 am

No, I don't see where they are coming from. If you lie to a cop you could get in trouble for "lying to law enforcement". Their job is to help people and enfoce the laws, not to give innocent civilians who are enjoying their only day off of the week a hard time by making up a stupid law on the spot and telling you to get out!

Aside from the fact that this is mildly insulting, it is a horrificly sweeping generalization

not really, at least in Florida, you go to a state park and you got law enforcement ppl coming out of nowhere. My brother forgot to put his new sticker on his license plate, he came back there was a ticket, on top of the entrance fee he had to pay for the state park.
Once didn't have a chain linking ball of the trailer to the boat and got an $80 dollar ticket from a highway patrol who was supposedly only getting people for speeding, with a warning that "you gotta leave your boat here until u get the chain and if see you again without it im taking you straight to jail" This plus a rude attitude and in the accent of a florida keys redneck highway patrol.
You go out on a boat and the chances are good you could be stopped by the marine patrol, etc etc etc. Really, you just can't enjoy yourself anymore.

Back when people were protesting the Elian Gonzales thing, I went out and I saw the Miami PD doing things to people I didn't believe... like smacking someone's head who was causing no trouble into the roof of his car and throwing a wooden cross a friend had into the ground, all for no reason. "Professional Law Enforcement" thats what I see on their cars, which translated means "Guaranteed to ruin your day"

Although I appreciate the job these guys do, the truth is after 9/11 a lot of them, especially around airports don't have absolutely nothing to do. A waste of tax dollars.

yeah, that's how smart the average American is, sad yet makes me laugh (sorry not to offend anyone). So you go ahead and bother the aviation enthusiast, while the real terrorist is hiding and doing the real damage elsewhere..

good job guys! -thumbs up-

AeroPunk

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:53 am

I've had problems at OMA as well... I wear a bracelet with small metal pyramids on it (not sharp in the least, about as sharp as a spoon) and was told i couldn't clear security with it. I explained to the TSA agent that i have worn on several flights but she did not seem to care. I did. I asked to speak with her manager, at which point the OMA police also came over. The manager asked what the trouble was and she handed him the bracelet. I explained I wear on every flight i take and he let me have it back. A bit of a hassle, but in the end i was happy.
I have also been harassed at MSP for spotting on top of their garage. I was up there for about an hour and was just leaving when an MSP police officer pulled up in his squad car and asked what i was doing. I explained i was taking some pictures and he informed "some pilots notified tower about suspicious activity on the garage". Anyway, he let me be and i went home happy... i just caught the 747.

-Mark
BTW this is my first post on A.net

miamix707

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:41 pm

welcome to the forum AeroPunk! it can get entertaining sometimes Big grin

A friend of mine (some of you might know who I'm talking about, he photographs for the other site) had stopped on the side of the expressway near EWR, as he was accelerating to incorporate himself in traffic a cop just happened to come in from an exit and pulled him over. He said he though my friend had been "trying to get away". When he explained to the cop he was just a photographer and the cop saw the camera, he gave him a ticket for "unauthorized photography", even though he wasn't doing any 'photography" while stopped.

Man, im telling you, I've heard and seen enough and enough is enough already. If any ppl involved with law enforcemente are reading this, please use some common sense. Some of these ppl watching planes are tourists who travel on a US airline, rent a car, pay for food, hotel room, help our economy. Don't scare them away so they don't come back.. c'mon now

KAUST

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:50 pm

This all just reminds me of Houston. In Houston you have Lee Road at IAH, which was being threatened with a closing, cause it is in the woods and supposedly someone could have hid in there with a shoulder launched missile launcher and shot a plane down. This makes me immediately think of Hobby airport in south Houston, which has HOUSES right across the street, and who will prevent someone from going into their own backyard? It's getting nuts.

KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

qqflyboy

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:04 pm

FLTPA1...

You wouldn't be in hot water at all. It is polite of you to give up that information to the police officer, but a passenger could call you on it and claim a violation of the privacy policy. Airlines are private companies and are under no obligation to cooperate with any law enforcement agency in an investigation unless a warrant or subpoena is issued for that information. Now, I'm not getting into conspiracy theories or anything, but the cop at OMA had no need to know whether Fox's wife was on the plane or not. He was conducting an investigation where no crime had been committed. Fox's wife didn't even need to be on any plane... he was well within the law to be where he was, doing what he was doing.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

miamix707

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:06 pm

Do you realize that for 40 years, Omaha was the #1 nuclear target in the US due to SAC? Do you realize that we have more Fortune 500 companies than Boston or LA? Do you realize that there are more millionares per capita here than pretty much any other city in the country? Silly boy

those stats are very impressive, still I doubt many terrorists even know what's in Omaha unless they read a.net. Just like when I tell people in Miami I live in Orlando they ask, "oh what's there to do? do you go to Disney a lot"? lololol..

He isn't exactly the silly boy, it was yourself who started this thread, but now it seems you feel proud of security for "kicking you out of OMA"

InnocuousFox
Topic Author

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:20 pm

"but now it seems you feel proud of security for "kicking you out of OMA"

Huh? I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. (And I have reason to believe that YOU have no idea what the hell you are talking about.)

[Edited 2004-08-07 06:22:14]

JBirdAV8r

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:09 pm

yeah, that's how smart the average American is, sad yet makes me laugh (sorry not to offend anyone). So you go ahead and bother the aviation enthusiast, while the real terrorist is hiding and doing the real damage elsewhere..

How do you know where the terrorists are? How do you know what they're doing? I'm sure the FBI would love to have a chat with you.

Thanks for the jab at my intelligence  Big grin...but that aside, "aviation enthusiast" anoraks have a reputation with police worldwide for being belligerent, recalcitrant, and just downright arrogant (my point proven totally by most in this thread, InnocuousFox especially). I wouldn't be surprised a bit if some of this "police harassment" is actually caused by resentment of this rather, well, largely annoying group of people.

My point is this: Spot legally. It is definitely NOT illegal to call your local tower, tell them that you're an aviation enthusiast, and ask for a tour. It's not advertised, but quite a few towers will let you come on up for a visit. Some individual towers may have policies against this, but most any FSDO, FSS, ARTCC, or ATCT will let you come on in during times of "lower terror alerts" (which are bogus anyway, but that's a story for another day). Ask a local FBO if you can watch planes either from inside the buildings or on their ramps -- this works more often than not, and they are often closer to the action than most parking garages. Hell, I've been offered a ride by airport police or operations around more than one large airport during "downtimes".

Not taking time to clarify the legality of your actions is not only irresponsible, but it can get you into a lot of trouble. Don't just go into an airport blindly assuming you can do whatever you want. Spot responsibly.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet