Aerotech
Topic Author

Why Must Fractionals Deal With Customs?

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:38 am

I was checking the database recently, and came across a pic of a Flight Options Citation being checked at customs.
So why must fractionals be checked by customs, but not the airlines? Why have drug sniffing dogs check a small Citation, but not a 747?

smcmac32msn

RE: Why Must Fractionals Deal With Customs?

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:48 am

Citations are quite a bit different than 747s. Yet, they both carry customers across borders and the passengers must be checked for anything illegal. The main thing I can think of, is that a Citation can go YYZ-MSN, but must stop in say MKE for customs, and since that flight is continuing with the same pax/crew, they can just be sniffed by the dogs versus say, a 747 from Sydney-LAX with passengers dispersing to other flights that will cross the USA, the passengers get off the plane and go to other flights, they can do it when the passengers get off the plane.

I hope that rambling was understandable.... little tired tonight.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

JeffDCA

Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:53 am

Airlines are checked by customs.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

ha763

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:24 am

I work for a non-US based airline in the US and yes, our aircraft are routinely checked by Customs. Not every flight (we have 8 inbound flights), but at least one flight a day. You would hear it over our radios all the time, "All pax off, Customs onboard."