Will Girl Friends/boy Friends Ever Understand?

Wed Feb 23, 2000 11:07 am

I was wondring if your girl friend/boy friend understand about your love for airplanes? Mine trys to understand but I think she thinks im a little crazy? I admire her for it! What do your girl friends/boy friends think of your love for airplanes?

DMD-11

AirT85

RE: Will Girl Friends/boy Friends Ever Understand?

Wed Feb 23, 2000 11:25 am

Hey y'all! wow, i am so excited! its a long story but it ties perfectly into this! I lost touch with this one girl i liked when i was in the third grade, now, seven years later, she got intouch wiht me through AOL! And you know how she found me? Airplanes are all over my profile! Her mom is a flight attendant for Mexicana and she loves planes too, but not as much as i do. And she completely understands my fascination for them, wow to think, airplanes helped her find me! this is so cool! So i guess that they work for something!  
-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

flyf15

Wed Feb 23, 2000 11:28 am

"You love those planes more than me don't you!?! "

TWA717_200

Wed Feb 23, 2000 11:55 am

My wife is a private pilot so she understands...

seb146

Wed Feb 23, 2000 12:01 pm

I use this line: I could be spending my spare time with drugs, thugs or other "extra cirricular" activities!! That settles any discussions.
Life in the wall is a drag.

Wed Feb 23, 2000 12:42 pm

Hi all.
Have you seen the latest Woody Allen movie? It's the story of a jazz musician who's into train spotting and shooting rats at the dump....Now THAT is weird. Plane spotting is soooo mainstream...

AC_A340

Wed Feb 23, 2000 1:08 pm

Mine doesn't really know how much I love it so, I'm still in the clear. She's come with me to the airport once though.

Which One? (nt)

Wed Feb 23, 2000 1:39 pm

pandora

Wed Feb 23, 2000 3:07 pm

It's funny how we see girls like all these TV guys.

It's the same kinda of concept, but turn girls into us and guys into airplanes.

Wed Feb 23, 2000 4:22 pm

No.

Air_Chick_757

Wed Feb 23, 2000 5:33 pm

It depends of your guy/girl....
With me is cool. My boyfriend doesn't like airplanes but he thinks it's cool for a girl to like these boy things...
He even told me that someday we would spend an afternoon at the airport doing some plane spotting, just because I love aircrafts... how sweet of him!  
But I don't like my boyfriend... :|

Regards
Julie, Porto Alegre, Brazil

(BTW, our new airport is 60% done... yeah!)

B777

Wed Feb 23, 2000 5:46 pm

Same situation as Louis (I would have better word choice at the end though!).

Night Hawk

Wed Feb 23, 2000 6:44 pm

Hi Everyone

Im in a similar situation to most people here. Im still in my flight training at the moment as is my g/f. We both fly at the same flying school and usually on the same day. Because of this, it makes it very easy do learn things and study as we can do these things together instead of spending time on our own to do this as Im sure those here who have been through school know, it is very boring :-)

Life can be great when you meet the perfect partner :-)

smooth landings to you all

Greg
Perth West Australia

Danny

Wed Feb 23, 2000 6:57 pm

Sure, my girlfriend understand and respect my love for airplanes, but she doesn't like it as much as I do. But she likes spotting, and she's also into taking pics of planes...so it works out pretty good.

RJNUT

Thu Feb 24, 2000 12:21 am

I must be a closet spotter, 'cause when I went to AMS i made up some story about where I was going, rather than confessing to my partner that I was going on the train out to Schipol to spend the afternoon on the observation deck(where, by the way, I saw my very 1st Yak- 42 ..cant see those here in Kansas!!)

Thu Feb 24, 2000 1:26 am

My wife is a frequent flyer out of necessity. She doesn't know anything about the planes and I don't think she really cares. When I pick her up at the airport I ask her what kind of plane she flew on (although I already know) and she always says I don't know. But I took her spotting at YVR once last year and now on the weekends she asks me if I will take her to the airport to watch the planes. She still doesn't know a Dash8 from a 767 (I know I know) but she likes to watch them land and take off. That's OK with me!!
She thinks I get a little intense about aviation sometimes but she accepts it and loves me for it. She is a lawyer so it goes both ways. hahaha...

Bruce

To BizClass

Thu Feb 24, 2000 2:19 am

doesn'tt know a Dash8 from a 767, eh? Better not try to explain "Engines Turn Or People Swim" to her!    
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

akelley728

Thu Feb 24, 2000 2:52 am

My wife understands - she knows that everybody needs a hobby, and airplanes are mine!

She does find it amusing though when I pick a certain flight just so I can get on a particular type of aircraft, or when I get excited when I lay my hands on the latest airliner book, or when I'm up till 2 in the morning on airliners.net (okay, she doesn't care for the last one - she'd much rather have me in bed with her!).

She knew I was hopeless when last year I needed one more segment to get Continental Elite status. I had a business trip to Baltimore scheduled for the last week of December. I was originally going to drive (it's only a three hour drive from where I live). So to get my segment I booked a flight on Co Express to BWI. My wife got scared to death because of the y2k fears during that time. She told me I was crazy, endangering my life, etc. But I had booked the trip by then, so there was no getting out of it! I took the trip, I got my segment, and I got my elite status!

Thu Feb 24, 2000 8:02 am

I'll tell ya. One of the best results from my divorce was not to have my wife NAGGING about the amount of time I spent plane spotting. Any new lady that comes into my life now must share my passion for aircraft. Guess that explains why I'am still single.

ABQ757

Thu Feb 24, 2000 8:43 am

Well my girlfriend Sarah doesnt mind it at all. Sometimes she will go with me spotting, but only if we go somewhere she want to go after. After our dates we sometimes go to the "Spot", but its at night, but boy, those beacons and runway lights give off a romantic glow. But enough of that, this isn't "Romance" forum. But yeah, my girl likes planes too, and she understands my obsession with Airliners, just as long as i admire her most and i do. Airliners are second to Sarah.

EI133

Thu Feb 24, 2000 9:59 am

I dont have a partner so I cant really answer this question.My friends have mixed reactions to my huge interest in aviation.Some people love it others hate it.There is nothing I hate more than when I ask people what aircraft did they fly on.They usually dont know so I have to decipher it by asking what airline and the seating config.I think I would rather have a relationship with someone who shared my interest.EI133

boeingrulz

Thu Feb 24, 2000 10:02 am

I spend too much time with airplanes to meet people! Not really, but it seems that way sometimes. Hey Flytime, I am still single! ;-)

Carolyn

twa747100

Thu Feb 24, 2000 10:09 am

Broke up with her...
well a 747-400 will never backstab me like that    
matt

Pilot1113

Thu Feb 24, 2000 11:55 am

My close friend who is a girl (were not boyfriend/girlfriend, yet...) says that when I become an airline pilot she'll be my "#1 fan and passenger."

May god bless her. She's been my strongest supporter through all my ups and downs. I miss her.

- Neil Harrison

cricri

Thu Feb 24, 2000 8:19 pm

My wife is f/a so she understands very well how the passion can be so strong ; sometimes, due to her job, she feds up a little bit with airplanes when she is tired after a long-haul but it never lasts a very long time and, quickly, she can't stand anymore for her next flight. Regarding my friends, some of them are my friends because they love a/c, and for the others, I don't speak too much with them on this subject because I know that they won't understand the stuff.
My parents have their house located exactly in the heading of the runway, on final turn ; they find airplanes interesting and are amused that their son can be so addicted.

Bofredrik

Fri Feb 25, 2000 5:10 am

I never tell a new girlfriend (I change often) about this until she is in love with me...
Then it is safe! They will never understand the beauty of a climbing 747!!!
Fredrik, Stockholm

Ben2

Fri Feb 25, 2000 5:47 am

She understands pretty well. I drag her along with me to spot at SAN when it's busy so it's more exciting for her. I also quiz her, and she's gotten quite good at identifying what type of aircraft WN flies  737, Ben?

Fri Feb 25, 2000 6:19 am

I don't have a girlfriend at the moment, but at least one trait I'd look for in her is that she should at least doesn't mind flying in any a/c. And not get airsick!! (My brother's girlfriend does get airsick half of the time she flies.) Also she should at least understand my being so interested in a/c and the airline stuff. What am I talking about!? This is an airliner forum, not a dating service!

Anyhow, my family will never completely understand me when it comes to my love for a/c. Usually, a DC-10 and a Dash 8, for example, is about how well they can tell a/c types apart. I'm the only one who can tell the diff between a/c like an A330-200 and a 767-300. Sometimes my brother thinks I have a screw loose in my head about loving planes and airports!

Flyf15 Look At This!

Fri Feb 25, 2000 1:30 pm

Im sorry but they really know how to make a guy feel special!

UniverseMaster

montenegro

Fri Feb 25, 2000 6:47 pm

Mine is very wondering how about so many people have mine same hobby. I show her the Airliners net and all the people into, she see often the mail that I receive and she said "where did you find this?" and she do not understand how can I get up early on Saturday to go to Naples to watch airplanes.

C'est la vie.

Savo. Salerno, ITALIA