voodoo

Bad: Coin Pay Bag.trolleys For Int. Arrivals

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:45 pm

I recall arriving internationally once at YYZ(T2) and surprised to find that the baggage trolleys needed a Looney (CDN $1) for use. As if all non-Canadians, if not a few Canadians, actually had any Cdn. coins handy.
Is this still the case? Are there any fancy change machines set up now?
How about other airports on the planet?
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

JGPH1A

RE: Bad: Coin Pay Bag.trolleys For Int. Arrivals

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:46 pm

NCE has pay trolleys - or at least a EUR1.00 deposit. There is a change machine in the baggage reclaim area, but it never works.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 pm

That sucketh.

I have one other pet peeve about trolleys: Brakes that work "the wrong way". IMHO, the brake should be "always on" and pushing the handle down should release the brake. That way trolleys are still if someone lets go in a ramp, and more importantly THEY DO NOT MOVE AROUND WHEN YOU TRY TO LOAD THEM ALONE! Many carts brake when you push the brake, which is fine, but as I said if I am alone and need to load a couple of heavy bags, I would rather the trolley stayed put while I do it.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

ltbewr

Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:02 am

In the US at some airports charge $2 or more as deposit/fees for the carts. At some airports in the past, the local kids or hustlers used to locate the carts in the parking lots and return them and collect the deposit. To me, carts for use within the terminal building should be free. One issue is that now many people have baggage with the wheels, thus negating the need for carts, so even more of a reason to have them free.

geoffm

Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:39 am

Most of the airports in the UK (or at least the ones I've been to) are either free or require a £1 deposit which is fully refunded upon returning to a trolley collection point. American ones seem to charge at least a dollar and only return 25c! What incentive is that?

Geoff M.

icarus75

Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:37 am

LAX airport on july 23rd for a BA flight to LHR, we needed a cart for the luggages : 3$!!!!!
Flying is amazing!

TomFoolery

Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:40 am

That is a ploy backed by your friends at Thomas Cook to force you to exchange SOMETHING at their airport kiosks  Smile
Paper makes an airplane fly

B747-437B

Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:44 am

As if all non-Canadians, if not a few Canadians, actually had any Cdn. coins handy.

Don't worry, there are enough hustlers from SmarteCarte who will change your US$ into Canadian$ at a 1:1 rate.  Insane

I absolutely agree that this is ridiculous but as long as Louis Turpen wants to charge the vendors ridiculous licensing fees to provide cart service, they need to recoup their costs from user fees.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

mrniji

Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:57 am

at some US Airports, one can pay with credit card. I rember SFO being extremely expensive... Is that an effect of privatization?  Pissed
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

B747-437B

Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:02 am

I rember SFO being extremely expensive... Is that an effect of privatization?

How ironic. SFO was also built by the same Louis Turpen who now is in charge of YYZ. Its purely Turpen-policy that dictates these ridiculous user fees for basic services (on top of squeezing the traveler, airline and taxpayer to boot).
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

jouy31

Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:12 am

- In VIE, you need an 1 or 2 euro coin as deposit
- in ATH, you have to pay with a 1 euro coin. You can also pay by credit card, but I believe it is more expensive

I agree there is also an issue about the way "brakes work". I am also surprised between the differences between FRA and CDG:
- in FRA, you can use the trolleys on escalators, not on moving walkways,
- in CDG, the reverse is true,
It would be nice to be able to do both  Wink/being sarcastic