MD 10?

Thu Feb 24, 2000 4:48 am

I need some explanation: what is the MD 10? Why is it ranked as a Boeing and not a Mc Donnell Douglas? What are the differences with the DC 10 and the MD 11?
Thanks.

seb146

RE: MD 10?

Thu Feb 24, 2000 5:01 am

I don't know about the MD 10 part. I've seen that on the Boeing web site where it lists deliveries. That may have been renamed after the take-over. The biggest difference between a DC10 and an MD11 are the winglets. I think the MD11 is also a bit larger that the DC10-40, and has a greater range. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

MD-10

Thu Feb 24, 2000 5:05 am

The MD-10 is a DC-10 Freighter with an MD-11's two-man cockpit.

The reason it's a Boeing plane and not an MDC plane is because MDC no longer exists - it was absorbed into Boeing in 1996.

The MD-11 is 26' longer than a DC-10 and has a lot more range. The MD-11 is similar to the DC-10 only by basic shape. Inside, it's a very very different airplane.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

DLMD-11.

CannedSpam

Thu Feb 24, 2000 5:17 am

As the previous posts have indicated, A MD-10 is a freighter version of the DC-10 that has a two man cockpit in place. But, it is not just putting a MD-11's cockpit into a DC-10! The cockpit's software and all it's displays are all brand new. A DC-10 is an analog aircraft while the MD-11 is digital. To produce commonality between the two, Honeywell designed and programed the new flight deck to be installed on the MD-10. FedEx is in the process of getting everything approved and installed. The first flight tests took place several months ago and FedEx has a modification line in Mobile, Alabama to make the flight deck changes. Freighter conversions are also being done in TUS and MOB as well.

akelley728

Thu Feb 24, 2000 5:22 am

Since Boeing is carrying out the project, it's known as the Boeing MD-10.

The DC-10 to MD-10 conversion project was brought into being by FedEx. They want their DC-10 freighters to have the MD-11 cockpit so they don't have to train their pilots on two different types.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos