Udo
Topic Author

Spotting At LAX: Problems With Police?

Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:47 pm

I have always enjoyed spotting at LAX, my all time favourite place has been the top level of the central parking structures just across the terminals. In the last years there haven't been ANY problems with police or airport authority, however I have heard in the last weeks that there might now be problems with staying up there.

Can anyone confirm this from personal experience?

Btw, I know there's In'N'Out at Sepulveda and Imperial Hill but I still prefer the parking structures as I can also get traffic from both southern and northern runways.

Thanks
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

modesto2

RE: Spotting At LAX: Problems With Police?

Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:17 pm

Udo, I've spent many days spotting at LAX, albeit on Sepulveda. I can't speak about the parking structures, but I've never had problems around the airport perimeter in the 4 years I've done it.

kim777fan

Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:53 pm

My best guess is that security is there but they're probably trained to be unobtrusive and trained to know the difference between spotters and plotters!!

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

SafetyDude

Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:13 pm

Btw, I know there's In'N'Out at Sepulveda and Imperial Hill but I still prefer the parking structures as I can also get traffic from both southern and northern runways.
I was at the parking garage during AI 2004 and we were not bothered, although I heard that they were very loose with security during the event and that it is now very hard to spot up there, unless you are out of the way of the video cameras.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

747srule

Spotting At LAX: Problems W/police

Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:39 am

I was spotting at the west end of 24R shortly after 9/11 and was confronted by a cop. He let me stay after I told him airplanes belong in the sky and I wouldn't do anything to harm aircraft. He said well at least you are not an Arab.
Jesus is the way,the truth,and the life

wedgetail737

Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:53 am

I was at the AI2004 convention. I spent some time in the Tom Bradley International terminal and I was stopped by one cop. He asked me if I had a flight to catch. I told him "no." Then he asked me if I had authorization to take pictures. My response was "I didn't think it was illegal to take pictures of airplanes...I've been doing it for years. It's a hobby of mine." He quieted down after that. I even offered to leave. But he told me it wasn't necessary. He was just asked because of the heightened security. I told him that I understood.

aviatortj

Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:33 pm

I was there in April. The motorcycle cops came and talked to us along Century Blvd. He said we were fine being there and said that in order to get closer to the planes we should check out the INnOut. So no troubles. The best police yet.  Smile

airxliban

Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:53 pm

I once tried to spot from the departures balcony area just in front of the apron at bradley but I had hardly gotten my camera out when a lady cop told me to get lost.

it might have had something to do with the fact that there was an El Al 744 sitting on the tarmac.

So anyway I went up to the adjacent parking structure and get was told to get lost. there was a security officer on each floor of the parking structure.

Anyway, Udo I didn't respond to your email yet because the browser I'm having to use doesn't like the frame my "compose mail" feature has to use. I'll hopefully be back on a computer tomorrow and will respond then.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Udo
Topic Author

Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:43 pm

Thanks for all your info!

I once was approached by a EL AL security staff while spotting on top of the parking structure. She asked me some questions what I was doing there but she was friendly and didn't ask me to leave.

Michel,

no problem!

Regards
Udo

Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

UN_B732

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:15 am

El Al and their rude security measures. While probably neccessary, gee.
-Mr. X
What now?