luisde8cd

Aeropostal DC9-32 To SolAir/Aerohonduras!

Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:38 am

Hey all, this is my first post in A.net! I've been reading the forums for more than a year but hadn't had the chance to join since there is a currency-exchange control in Venezuela and we cannot exchange our Bolivares into any kind of foreign currency thus I couldn't use my credit card to buy a subscription. We gotta thank Mr. Chavez for this f*cked up economic policy. Back to aviation...
A couple of days ago I was browsing pic in myaviation.net and I saw this pic. It's an Aeropostal DC9-32 with AeroHonduras titles. The pic was taken in CCS and the plane still has Venezuelan registration (YV-46C). I'm wondering in what routes will this plane be used... Anyone has an idea?

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Daniel Roa

TACAA320

RE: Aeropostal DC9-32 To SolAir/Aerohonduras!

Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:54 am

Welcome to A.net Luisde8cd

Since I will be flying in a couple of weeks with Aeropostal to CCS, and living in Central America, I'm interested in the topic.

Personally I don't so to much future to Aerohonduras, taking some experience from the past. Remember Tan, Sahsa, Aero Costa Rica... Those thiny airlines flying old wet leased aircrafts can hardly survive specially in Central America, where we have a duopoly (TA and CM).

I'm not a pesimistic person, but taking a brief look to the Central American aviation industry, I really don't see Aerohonduras for many years. Sad but true.

By the way, do you know their routes and web site?
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

MAH4546

Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:56 am

Personally I don't so to much future to Aerohonduras, taking some experience from the past. Remember Tan, Sahsa, Aero Costa Rica... Those thiny airlines flying old wet leased aircrafts can hardly survive specially in Central America, where we have a duopoly (TA and CM).

AeroHonduras is not a new airline. They were previously known as Sol Air, and have been succcessfully flying between Miami and Honduras since July 2002.
a.

TACAA320

Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:57 am

Sorry pals.....

SolAir equals Aerohonduras.

Web page under construction. www.solair.com

'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

TACAA320

Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:22 am

"AeroHonduras is not a new airline. They were previously known as Sol Air, and have been succcessfully flying between Miami and Honduras since July 2002."

MAH4546

Your knowledge on Latin American aviation is well known at A.net, and respected. But, why a "succesfull" airline change it's name, it's livery, and use an old aircraft?

And... Was it (Solair) profitable???

MAH4546

Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:27 am

But, why a "succesfull" airline change it's name, it's livery, and use an old aircraft?

The name change was because the airline's new owners - Aeropostal - wanted to change it. They didn't think Sol Air associated with the country of Honduras. They want to build up better name recognition. Also, using an old aircraft does not mean an airline isn't successful. Using an old aircraft is typically cheaper, and, if I am not mistaken, the DC9 was already owned by Aeropostal, so it didn't require any money to buy it.

And... Was it (Solair) profitable???

No idea. However, the fact that, two years later, they are still flying in the highly competitive Miami-Honduras market with good load factors sure isn't a bad thing.
a.

juanchito

Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:45 am

Small airlines in Central America, what about Tikal Jets they have been flying for many years know until this year where they have been expanding operations, hope they do well. I read in a newspaper of guatemala months ago, where they interview the CEO of the company. He said that they could start service to FLL and SJO, but not yet.
Hope they do well in the future. They are the official airline of Guatemala.

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

luisde8cd

Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:04 am

Nelson Ramiz (Aeropostal's CEO) got interested in SolAir, because SolAir and Aeropostal both wet-lease aircraft from Falcon Air to fly to Miami, since both Honduras and Venezuela aren't CAT 1, so they can't use venezuelan or honduran registered planes to fly to the U.S. I believe Aeropostal asumed both SolAir and Aeropostal leases and they rotate the planes as they wish. For example there is a trip report here in a.net by a user who flew domestic in Honduras with solair and the plane had aeropostal safety cards. They lease mostly 727-200s and some 737-300.

Aeropostal also wants to start Aeropostal "Alas de Centro America" based in SJO, seems like they wanna mess with TACA in their own turf. Will be interesting to see how that develops.

airsicknessbag

Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:08 am

AeroHonduras want to fly ex SAP to MGA, GUA, SJO and PTY. Nearly three weeks ago, there were giant ads in all Honduran newspapers screaming "we´ll grow threefold", with schedules and all. But the flights are simply not bookable.

I´m phoning them every couple of days, ´cause I´d like to book a flight with them, but they´re always postponing the start date of ops. Staff are very evasive and/or don´t know anything.
In short, they better start flying soon, or else they´ll have a big credibility problem.

They quote problems with licences and permits, which doesn´t really build up trust in their professionality.

Daniel Smile

ghost77

Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:53 am

I'm not a pesimistic person, but taking a brief look to the Central American aviation industry, I really don't see Aerohonduras for many years. Sad but true.

Small airlines in Central America, what about Tikal Jets they have been flying for many years know until this year where they have been expanding operations, hope they do well.

Juanchito - Have you seen the new WU c/s! Strong rumors going on here that they'll get an extra Dc9 ex. AM! First WU picture is from 1993 so they've been with us many years! That also count!

Back to the topic - AeroHonduras has been with us since July 2002 at least they've been with us for 2 years. And there's no other airline in Honduras or besides CM & TA in the region! I do hope they get stronger and start flights to other destinations like MEX. There's still no link from Honduras to Mexico. Odd! That AeroHunduras/Aeropostal hybrid looks very nice!

Ricardo APM

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

TACAA320

Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:57 pm

"Aeropostal also wants to start Aeropostal "Alas de Centro America" based in SJO, seems like they wanna mess with TACA in their own turf. Will be interesting to see how that develops."

Good luck "Alas de Centro America".

TACAA320

Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:02 pm

"AeroHonduras want to fly ex SAP to MGA, GUA, SJO and PTY. Nearly three weeks ago, there were giant ads in all Honduran newspapers screaming "we´ll grow threefold", with schedules and all. But the flights are simply not bookable.

I´m phoning them every couple of days, ´cause I´d like to book a flight with them, but they´re always postponing the start date of ops. Staff are very evasive and/or don´t know anything.
In short, they better start flying soon, or else they´ll have a big credibility problem.

They quote problems with licences and permits, which doesn´t really build up trust in their professionality."

----------------------------------

Definetly not a good start.

That's only one reasons to think as I stated in reply #1. Time will tell...

TACAA320

Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:11 pm

"Back to the topic - AeroHonduras has been with us since July 2002 at least they've been with us for 2 years. And there's no other airline in Honduras or besides CM & TA in the region! I do hope they get stronger and start flights to other destinations like MEX. There's still no link from Honduras to Mexico. Odd! That AeroHunduras/Aeropostal hybrid looks very nice! "

Ghost77

Are you referring to SolAir or AeroHonduras?

AeroHonduras don't even fly yet !!!!! (Please see reply No. 8)

LX23

Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:43 pm

hmm...yeah...i really see aeropostal's modern fleet of 20 year-old MD80s (or even older DC-9s) competing with TA's 320s or CM's 73NGs...  Insane it's just another pipe dream which won't amount to much in the end.
TACAA320 is probably right...AeroHonduras will disappear in a year or so...
btw, hope you know who had the first 320's in the region..  Big grin
saludos de un tico

kim777fan

Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:59 pm

No problem. If AeroHonduras does go away in a year or two, that DC9-32 will find a new home at Northwest.

TACAA320

Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:00 pm

Saludos compatriota.

Hope I'm wrong but I also don't give a year to AeroHonduras. I'm NOT wishing "bad luck" to the formerly SolAir (now known as AeroHonduras), but as I said before, I'm realistic.

Let's them start, and will see......

LX23

Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:55 pm

@Kim777
You think it's old enough??? Big grin

TACAA320

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:10 am

"No problem. If AeroHonduras does go away in a year or two, that DC9-32 will find a new home at Northwest."

------------------------------------------------------

That's definitely very funny...

TACAA320

Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:28 am

Does anybody knows when does Aerohunduras start doing business????????

And how do they pretend to fly so many destinations with only one DC-9???.

They need at least two more aircrafts.

luisde8cd

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:37 am

I don't have a clue when they'll start ops. And I believe they'll get more DC9s from Aeropostal when Aeropostal gets more MD80s from Aeromexico. My guess is that they'll be replaced on a 1 by 1 basis. Also I have no idea how they intend to create Alas de Centro América... more DC9s? who knows...

ghost77

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:31 pm

Ghost77

Are you referring to SolAir or AeroHonduras?

AeroHonduras don't even fly yet !!!!! (Please see reply No. 8)

Hey TACAA320,

Yeap I was referring to AeroHonduras. As soon as they start I would love to see them @ MEX. There's still no carrier on this route!

I don't have a clue when they'll start ops. And I believe they'll get more DC9s from Aeropostal when Aeropostal gets more MD80s from Aeromexico.

Luisde8cd,

Less than two weeks ago another MD80 departed AM/MEX for Aeropostal. So far they should have 3. The first which is under maintenance in AM right now, the second one which should be flying and the 3rd one that flew a few weeks ago to CCS. I've heard strong rumors here in AM that they'll be getting 2 more MD80s in the short term!

Ricardo APM

luisde8cd

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:47 pm

Less than two weeks ago another MD80 departed AM/MEX for Aeropostal. So far they should have 3. The first which is under maintenance in AM right now, the second one which should be flying and the 3rd one that flew a few weeks ago to CCS. I've heard strong rumors here in AM that they'll be getting 2 more MD80s in the short term!

Thanks for the update  Smile. By the way... I read some rumors in these forums a couple of months ago about Aeropostal getting a B752 from AM... any news on that? thx!

LX23

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:11 pm

As I stated earlier...Alas de Centroamerica is just a pipe dream...IF (and that's a HUGE if) they manage to get started, they won't last very long, same as Aerohonduras.

TACAA320

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:20 pm

Ghost77

You stated in reply no. 9 " AeroHonduras has been with us since July 2002 at least they've been with us for 2 years " .

In my reply 12 I told you that AeroHonduras don't fly yet. How could it possibly be with us since July 2002? AeroHonduras until now (August 2004)has just one oldie DC9-32. And they didn't start operations yet nor even have a web page where to obtain information or book a flight with them (www.solair.com, and it's still under construction). Please a;so review reply 8 again.

What a great start AeroHonduras!!!!!

luisde8cd

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:43 pm

TACAA320, may I ask what is your point here? What I feel is that you are in someway making fun of AeroHonduras only because they don't have a website and only have a DC9? As an aviation enthusiast I see the start of this new airline as a positive news to the region. Finally Hondurans will have a carrier with their country name. I think your attitude towards AirHonduras isnt the right one. We as latin american brothers should help each other develop. You guys in Costa Rica have a GDP per capita 4 times higher than Honduras and that's why u have TACA with their relatively new A320s and Honduras AeroHonduras with a DC9.

As you know Latin American countries dont belong to the developed world, so things might not be as good as they are in EU, Japan, US, etc. So let's just give them some time while they manage to get their website online and wish them the best. Competition is always healthful for everyone!

[Edited 2004-08-13 15:49:02]

TACAA320

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:36 pm

"TACAA320, may I ask what is your point here? What I feel is that you are in someway making fun of AeroHonduras only because they don't have a website and only have a DC9? As an aviation enthusiast I see the start of this new airline as a positive news to the region. Finally Hondurans will have a carrier with their country name. I think your attitude towards AirHonduras isnt the right one. We as latin american brothers should help each other develop. You guys in Costa Rica have a GDP per capita 4 times higher than Honduras and that's why u have TACA with their relatively new A320s and Honduras AeroHonduras with a DC9."

Of course you may ask.

1) Aside the economical factors that you point at, please let me clarify that TACA airbuses are not "relatively new", they are brand new and they are expecting four more to be added to the fleet by the end of 2004.

2) I was laughing about reply no. 14 that it's in reference as you may see to NW, not to Aerohonduras.

3) That Aerohonduras don't have a web page and only a very old DC-9 is a fact. And to say the truth about a fact will never ever be a crime. (To say the truth is not a sin, but sometimes is unconfortable).

Do you think that I said something that is not true? If you or anybody else can prove that I was lying about anything in this thread, as a gentleman I will give my apology.

I don't have anything against Aerohonduras (please read my replies nos. 1 and 10 just one more time).

But Aerohonduras, as long as I know, is not a Honduran Airline, is Venezuelan.

Am I wrong?

luisde8cd

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:52 pm

TACAA320

I never said u lied about telling the facts about AeroHonduras. In fact it was me who started this thread with the DC9 announcement. What I'm just saying is that I felt that you were making fun of a small airline when you ironically said "What a great start AeroHonduras!". Nevertheless you are free to say whatever you wish, but I (my personal opinion)thought it wasn't very respectful to our Honduran friends. That's all  Smile

And by the way... TACA is not a Costa Rican airline, it's a Honduran-Salvadorian-Nicaraguan-Guatemalan-and finally Costa Rican merger of airlines. I think you already know but some people might not... so it's worth remembering that TACA was created in 1931 in a country called HONDURAS  Big grin

Cheers,
Luis

TACAA320

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:08 am

"And by the way... TACA is not a Costa Rican airline, it's a Honduran-Salvadorian-Nicaraguan-Guatemalan-and finally Costa Rican merger of airlines. I think you already know but some people might not... so it's worth remembering that TACA was created in 1931 in a country called HONDURAS"

----------------------

Absolutely right. Founded in Honduras by Lowell Yerex a New Zelander, who got a concession granted by the Honduran Government for cargo purposes only.

Did I said that TA is a Costa Rican airline?

Where and when?

Because legally is a Salvadoran carrier now.

By the way, the Costarrican airline is Lacsa (working proudly as part of Grupo Taca).

Salud.

luisde8cd

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:17 am

Hehe won't get into legal stuff regarding ownership or any of that, I already made my point get across. Just wanted to point out that we need to cooperate each other as latin americans, like for example Venezuela and Mexico have been doing since 1980 with the San Jose Energetic Pact. That's how things should be, powerful ones helping the small ones, shouldn't it?

TACAA320

Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:44 am

"Just wanted to point out that we need to cooperate each other as latin americans, like for example Venezuela and Mexico have been doing since 1980 with the San Jose Energetic Pact. That's how things should be, powerful ones helping the small ones, shouldn't it"

---------------------------------------

I agree with you...

ghost77

Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:14 am

Thanks for the update . By the way... I read some rumors in these forums a couple of months ago about Aeropostal getting a B752 from AM... any news on that? thx!

At least here in AM I haven't heard anything about this but there might be a possibility. It all depends on AeroPostal... if they want them.

The two B757-200 that have left AM so far have gone to TACV Cabo Airlines (N301AM) and to Kyrgyz Airways (N802AM). The other 6 don't know where will they go.

In my reply 12 I told you that AeroHonduras don't fly yet. How could it possibly be with us since July 2002?

TACAA320 - Sol Air has been with us since JUL 02. AeroHonduras is the new name of Sol Air.

Ricardo APM

LX23

Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:06 pm

Luis: you're completely right!! Honduras' GDP is roughly 25% of that which Ticos enjoy...
So how exactly can you explain a FEASIBLE airline in a country that can't really afford one?
Also, as TACAA320 stated, Grupo Taca's A320s are brand new...However, the A320s that LR operates are not, as you seem to suggest, the result of their joining TACA...LR had A320's before they joined Grupo Taca. As a matter of fact, I believe they were the first A320 operator in Latin America.
And finally, yes, I completely agree with you that we should all work together for a better Latin America...funny how an antichavista is talking about some chavista ideas though  Big grin

luisde8cd

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:10 am

And finally, yes, I completely agree with you that we should all work together for a better Latin America...funny how an antichavista is talking about some chavista ideas though

Those aren't Chavez ideas. He's a lunatic. He claims to follow Simon Bolivar wishes for a united latin america and he constanly bashes the CAN (Andean Community) and favors Brazil and Argentina (MERCOSUR). It's worth reminding that Bolivar's wishes were to unite Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia (current Andean Comunity), so in fact he's going against Bolivar wishes. In the CAN we are the leader, in the MERCOSUR we are nothing.

I've always admired the European Union, it's amazing to see the level of integration they've reached despite language and cultural differences. I dream of having a Latin America as integrated as the European Union, I hope that happens during my lifetime.

TACAA320

Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:53 pm

"...LR had A320's before they joined Grupo Taca. As a matter of fact, I believe they were the first A320 operator in Latin America"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
They definitely were the first A320 operator in Latin America and the first airline to use it into Miami. The very first one, in the three Americas was NW.

LX23

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:04 pm

thanks TA320...wasn't absolutely sure, but that's what I remember...my point was that LR didn't need TA to get new airplanes  Smile

TACAA320

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:41 pm

Your more than welcome!!!!!!!!!

/////////////////////////////////////////

luisde8cd

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:59 pm

Hey TACAA320,

Do u have an update on those TACA Venezuela rumours? I heard that they might be interesting in starting a hub in CCS... would be great to have more competition in the Venezuelan market!

TACAA320

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:19 am

As long as I know they are more than rumours. They are already "working" on that. Nevertheless, these kind of things usually takes a long time.

" Feel sad about the referendum "

But happy because will go to CCS in a few days  Smile

latinaviation

Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:32 pm

Sol Air was in deep financial shape when Aeropostal/Nelson Ramiz stepped in. I wouldn't refer to them as "successful" because they have been flying for two years. They have managed to burn through a lot of cash in two years, but not all too successful. Though, given the life spans of similar airlines from the region, I guess it is somewhat successful.

Most of what's been said above covers the Sol Air/Aero Honduras/Aeropostal story. But just to ellaborate. It was Nelson Ramiz, the owner of Aeropostal, who put the money into Sol Air through his US investment firm, Aeron. Ricardo Martinez, the owner of Sol Air/Aero Honduras, is still around because Honduran law requires majority ownership by Honduras. However, most of Sol Air's other management was replaced by Aeropostal management and there is a general manager from Aeropostal in Tegucigalpa calling the shots at Aero Honduras.

To their credit, Aeropostal implemented much-need back-office and financial controls. Sol Air was in pretty bad financial shape when Ramiz came in. The introduction between Ramiz and Martinez occured because of Emilio Dirube, CEO and founder of Falcon Air Express, who operated airplanes for both airlines and was (or is) familiar with the Sol Air financials. Ricardo Maduro, president of Honduras, is also a minority investor in Sol Air/Aero Honduras, which certainly doesn't hurt. Ironically, though, he almost always flies American Airlines and just this past week I sat in front of his wife on AA going back to TGU.

At any rate, they do have a credibility problem in the Honduran market. The fares to travel within Central America from Honduras are, relatively speaking, high and as a result competing service should do well. However, Aero Honduras has a lot to live up to.

Luis - welcome to the fourms, good to see you over here from PPRune.

luisde8cd

Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:17 am

But happy because will go to CCS in a few days

Really?? good to have you here! will u be staying only in Caracas? You´re flying TACA SJO-CCS, right?

LatinAviation: thanks for the welcome, finally managed to get a friend with a U.S. credit card to buy the subscription for me.

TACAA320

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:51 am

Not exactly.

Taca to MIA in an early flight, and VH to CCS at 8,40. Arriving close to 11 p.m.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos