Roanoke, Va.
State College, Pa.
Tri Cities, Tenn.
Williamsport, Pa.

[Edited 2004-08-12 19:21:10]

A330323X

RE: US Airways To Discontinue Nonstop Service To 20 De

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:01 am

To clarify, these destinations are being discontinued from PIT, not from the US Airways network.

Also, this is just the official announcement of what has been known for a little while already, thanks to our good friend freshlove1.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

smcmac32msn

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:02 am

Thats sad... Its slowly falling away... pretty soon, PIT won't have a US presence at it at all (at this rate). Will US continue flights from PHL and CLT to these cities, or is this it for them?
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:12 am

I'm extremely surprised (yet pleasantly amused) that they're discontinuing PIT-FRA.

LGW I can understand, but I never thought we'd see the end of the Bayer Express until we saw the end of US itself.

....wonder if they'll talk LH into coming in. Probably not with PHL that close though
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

COEWRNJ

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:14 am

The cities that say connecting with a YES next to them will still be served from either PHL or CLT and maybe both depending on the city. The only too that look like they will lose service all togeather are GRR and CAK.

desertjets

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:18 am

However if USAirways has the available slots, both Grand Rapids and Akron/Canton seem like they are both decent candidates for service from DCA/LGA/BOS. I guess we will need to wait and see if and when USAirways announced additional services from the above three focus cities or PHL/CLT.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

MSYtristar

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:20 am

I'd be very surprised to see a European carrier enter the PIT market. At least US had some feed for the FRA/LGW flights out of PIT. The days of the big fortress hubs in medium sized metro areas are coming to an end it seems, with few exceptions (CVG for instance).

A330323X

RE: US Airways To Cut Nonstops To 20 Cities From P

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:28 am

The cities that say connecting with a YES next to them will still be served from either PHL or CLT and maybe both depending on the city. The only too that look like they will lose service all togeather are GRR and CAK.

I'm unsure about that. GRR currently has 1x PHL, and CAK currently has 1x CLT. It's possible that those services will go away entirely. It's also quite possible that US will increase frequencies in those markets, just not offering connections in the PIT-GRR/CAK markets (since the connecting points would be rather out of the way).
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

A330323X

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:07 am

Another reason why US might keep service at CAK, that totally slipped my mind earlier:

PSA has a maintenance base there.

bartond

RE: US Airways To Cut Nonstops To 20 Cities From PIT

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:16 am

Why would an airline have two of its biggest hubs within about 200 miles of each other in the first place? Just a basic question that I'm sure has been asked bazillions of times.

TWFirst

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:21 am

>>Why would an airline have two of its biggest hubs within about 200 miles of each other.<<

Actually, it's more like 300 miles, but the point is taken...

You have to look at the history of USAir to understand why they ended up being so big at PIT and PHL.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

tjwgrr

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:42 am

PHL-GRR just began this week. I hope we don't lose that too. I'm betting we'll see 3x / day PHL-GRR (US Airways Express) and perhaps even CLT-GRR service....
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

nwa man

Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:27 am

A fairly surprising list, given the fact that none of the destinations cut are hubs of competing airlines, like the previous cuts. I was expecting cities like Cincinnati, Washington-Dulles, and maybe Detroit to get the ax.

Nevertheless, you have to realize that the feed which allows US to operate flights from Pittsburgh to cities like SEA, DEN, SFO, and IAH comes from destinations which have now been removed from the system. Cutting "trunk routes" like ROA, PWM, SCE, and the like might not seem like a very big deal, but this is all leading to a point where PIT will no longer be a US hub, and will only retain destinations like LAX, LGA, and MCO... a STL-east if you will.

Regards,

N-Dub
Create your own luck.

dutchjet

Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:34 am

While we all expected cut-backs at PIT, the most surprising news, in my opinion, is that US is dropping both the London and Frankfurt flights out of Pittsburg.......I thought that overseas flying was a niche where US was making some money. (Just about all of the other cutbacks are regional services, however, US has announced other mainline cuts at PIT in the past weeks.) Unless US adds flights to LGW and F R A from PHL or CLT, this is a major cutback in US's transatlantic services into those cities and cuts seats system wide.

At one time, didnt TW fly a PIT-LHR flight, and/or did BOAC ever fly the route? I too am curious as to whether any other carrier starts transatlantic service out of PIT in the future.

spinzels

Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:55 am

At one time, didnt TW fly a PIT-LHR flight,

Yes, they did, they flew at least L1011s on this route.
I've been to Paradise, but I've never been to me

zrs70

Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:56 am

Don't think TW ever served the market nonstop, but BA certainly did.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

SD330PSU

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:12 am

Actually in a previous business model the PIT and PHL hubs were both profitable and both needed. PIT was the focus-hub of the east coast trunk routes and PHL with its heavy O & D and the international growth. When US was operating at higher capacity both airports were needed. However, with the decline in short-distance east coast flying and the general erosion of planning and vision at US, the PIT hub was the sacrifical lamb. Its true that they needed to "thin" PIT out some, but to do what they are now, is a travesty. I don't really think US has an option currently to do anything at PIT differently, yet if Mr. Wolf, Gangwall, and Siegel would have had more vision and a desire to grow or "shape" US into profitability the good people at PIT may not be going through this now.

A330323X

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:23 am

I was expecting cities like Cincinnati, Washington-Dulles, and maybe Detroit

CVG is a Trans States J41 town. IAD is a Colgan SF3/BE1 town. US doesn't control those markets, the affiliate Express turboprop carriers do. That's what US refers to when it says "Additionally, further cuts are possible on the US Airways Express network since the independently-owned affiliate carriers still are finalizing their schedules." For whatever reason, US does well in DTW.

Unless US adds flights to LGW and F R A from PHL or CLT, this is a major cutback in US's transatlantic services into those cities and cuts seats system wide.

Rumors point to the return of the 2nd PHL-LGW and the return of BOS-FRA with the 2 widebodies that this frees up.

kim777fan

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:25 am

Those aren't just "cuts, " that's a bloodbath. It's also hard to see a LCC stepping in and filling some of those routes lost except for possibly B6, but only after they take delivery of some Embraers.

PITrules

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:29 am

I am also surprised to see PIT-FRA go. I believe there is enough O&D traffic in PIT for one nonstop to Europe. British Airways served PIT daily for 15 years. A good portion of that 15 years was without any alliance with US Airways. Even though they don't serve the route anymore, I think it is more because of a shift towards global alliances and their hubs instead of a lack of demand in PIT.

Dutchjet - TWA did serve LHR before BA.

With Bayer, Siemens, and other german companies located in PIT, I think PIT-FRA would be a perfect route for the all business class Lufthansa/Privatjet A320s.

FLYi

JoFMO

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:35 am

when its PIT-FRA is mostly for Bayer, so why not an A319LR direct to CGN or DUS. Its much nearer than FRA.

kcrwflyer

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:40 am

With US cutting larger markets, i wonder why and how their switching CRW to 2 daily CRJ's and 2 erj's? up from 2 do 328's a dash 8 and 1 erj.

A330323X

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:46 am

With US cutting larger markets, i wonder why and how their switching CRW to 2 daily CRJ's and 2 erj's? up from 2 do 328's a dash 8 and 1 erj.

The D328s are all being retired by September. Thus, many of their former routes are seeing equipment upgrades.

nwa man

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:51 am

It's also hard to see a LCC stepping in and filling some of those routes lost except for possibly B6, but only after they take delivery of some Embraers.

Rephrase - very, very hard to see a LCC stepping in and filling the routes lost. I guarantee you that flights like PIT-LEX, PIT-ITH, and PIT-Williamsport have near zero O&D figures. The inverse of what I stated above is also true... just as the mainline flights need the feed from cities like Lynchburg and Roanoke, routes to cities like Lynchburg and Roanoke need the feed from other mainline destinations. Start cutting routes like these and you can cut a hub at PIT out of the picture as well.

CVG is a Trans States J41 town. IAD is a Colgan SF3/BE1 town. US doesn't control those markets, the affiliate Express turboprop carriers do.

Ahh, ok... thanks for the clarification. Let me rephrase... it wouldn't shock me to see the Express carriers cut CVG or IAD. I just threw DTW into the mix as US had a pattern of cutting PIT cities with existing nonstop competition, like MSP and MEM.

Regards,

N-Dub
Create your own luck.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:26 am

so why not an A319LR direct to CGN or DUS

One word... cargo
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

pgh234

Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:45 am

I have never heard anywhere that PIT-FRA is anything but profitable? Once again, US management shows that they have a brain  Yeah sure Even if they decided even more profit can be made elsewhere...I sure dont see where it would be? I mean, I cant even see BOS-FRA being more profitable than PIT-FRA? PIT has the huge frequent flyer loyalty, numerous German companies, and is the ONLY airline providing non-stop service to Europe. PIT has supported non-stop service to Europe for around 25 years now (profitably mind you...BA brought 747's to town before USAIR starting jumping over the pond as well). Hopefully this is just an invitation for star partner LH to come to town and reap the benefits.

-pgh234

usairways85

Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:50 am

Why should US start BOS-FRA when LH already operates 1 or 2 daily flts on the route

JoFMO

Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:01 am

Now in summer we even have three daily flights with LH. two times FRA with 340 and once MUC with 330.

@ConcordBoy:

why fright? It was always mentioned that the flight is mostly for Bayer employees.

MAH4546

Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:12 am

Rumors point to the return of the 2nd PHL-LGW and the return of BOS-FRA with the 2 widebodies that this frees up.

I do not expect it to happen at all, but if I were US Airways, I would strongly consider FLL-FRA, especially with their upcoming FLL build-up. Heavy demand, the South Florida-Germany market is generally underserved (only 13 flights a week for a huge market), and, yes, you'll find business travelers to fill the front, especially with a huge amount of South Florida's largest companies based in the Lauderdale area. And a non-stop flight to Europe from Ft. Lauderdale, where travelers can connect to LH flights, would be a major plus in attracting loyal flyers in the area as they are hoping to. I do not expect it to happen, but I am confident it would work.
a.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:50 am

I'm still really surprised that US is cutting SCE-PIT. SCE is a unique market that traditionally US has dominated. There are a lot of local FF's (residents, the university, and local business) that has supported them over the years. People all know that PHL sucks and is delay ridden. Plus, you now have to go east to go west. Basically US in handing NW (XJ & 9E) and DL(ACA) the westbound traffic out of SCE.

With flying time only being about 40 minutes, I'm surprised US didn't maintain this route and let people connect onto the primarily O&D routes out of PIT. US isn't going to suddenly route all its former traffic out of SCE into PHL.

N766UA

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:51 am

I thought they were dropping CLE?
This Website Censors Me

SHUPirate1

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:52 am

Just out of curiousity, could somebody come up with a listing of the cities that have so-far retained nonstop service out of PIT on US Airways?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

A330323X

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:03 am

I'm still really surprised that US is cutting SCE-PIT.

As I said when I found out about these cuts, SCE is the only domestic market to be cut that has surprised me. It's possible that they could start SCE-CLT though, like they did with ERI.

I thought they were dropping CLE?

They are. CLE is being dropped in the October schedule. The above cuts are for November.

ncflyer

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:10 am

Didn't USair lose it's monopoly in SCE once NW and DL moved in? I'm not really sure, but if I'm right that had to hurt. These cuts are painful for central NY and PA, USairways has been the long time lifeblood to ELM, SCE, ITH, BGM, etc. And yeah they will still serve PHL, but as someone said, going east to go west is a tough road.

ncflyer

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:16 am

And by the way, a CLE drop was never announced in a press release, not that I ever saw or that was discussed on this board. But without a major hub in PIT, it's hard to believe there will be much traffic on a flight when the drive is only 2 hours.

And another question, when is the schedule updated to reflect these cuts.

N670UW

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:17 am

Just out of curiousity, could somebody come up with a listing of the cities that have so-far retained nonstop service out of PIT on US Airways?

ABE, ALB, AOO, ART, ATL, AVP, BDL, BFD, BNA, BOS, BUF, BWI, CKB, CLT, CMH, CRW, CUN, CVG, DAY, DCA, DEN, DFW, DTW, DUJ, ERI, EWR, FKL, FLL, GSO, HGR, HPN, IAD, IND, JHW, JST, LAS, LAX, LGA, LNS, LWB, MCO, MDT, MGW, MHT, MIA, MSY, ORD, ORF, PBI, PHL, PHX, PKB, PVD, RDU, RIC, ROC, RSW, SAN, SDF, SEA, SFO, SHD, SJU, STL, SYR, TPA, TYS, YYZ

N670UW

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:18 am

And another question, when is the schedule updated to reflect these cuts.

I expect timetables will be updated this weekend.

NWADC9

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:19 am

"I'd be very surprised to see a European carrier enter the PIT market."

We had British Airways untill the late 90's with 767's and 747's.

Let's think about PIT's future:

International (Europe):
KLM won't come because DTW's close enough
Lufthansa won't come because of PHL/JFK
British Airways may come back once US drops dead (I'm still waiting!)
Air France won't because of JFK
Transavia won't come because they're LCC in Europe and they fly "domestic"(International, but very close. Like an airline would send a 744 from AMS-CDG)

International (Asia):
All won't come because of JFK/EWR

Domestic:
Northwest won't make PIT a focus city because DTW is close enough
American already has like 5 gates, sharing one with ATA, so that's a possibility
AirTran may make PIT a focus city (Aren't they considering that allready?)
Delta won't make PIT a focus city because of CVG
Southwest is considering (still waiting for them to come in!) but PHL is close enough (rats!)
Continental won't because of CLE
United won't because they hardly fly here anyway

BOTTOM LINE:
PIT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

A330323X

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:24 am

And by the way, a CLE drop was never announced in a press release, not that I ever saw or that was discussed on this board.

From today's press release: "Between July and October, US Airways and US Airways Express discontinued nonstop service between Pittsburgh and Beckley, Bluefield, and Huntington, W.Va.; Evansville, Fort Wayne and South Bend, Ind.; Cleveland; Houston (George Bush Intercontinental); Latrobe and Reading, Pa.; Kansas City, Mo.; Memphis, Tenn.; Milwaukee; Minneapolis; and Toledo, Ohio."

ABE, ALB, AOO, ART, ATL, AVP, BDL, BFD, BNA, BOS, BUF, BWI, CKB, CLT, CMH, CRW, CUN, CVG, DAY, DCA, DEN, DFW, DTW, DUJ, ERI, EWR, FKL, FLL, GSO, HGR, HPN, IAD, IND, JHW, JST, LAS, LAX, LGA, LNS, LWB, MCO, MDT, MGW, MHT, MIA, MSY, ORD, ORF, PBI, PHL, PHX, PKB, PVD, RDU, RIC, ROC, RSW, SAN, SDF, SEA, SFO, SHD, SJU, STL, SYR, TPA, TYS, YYZ

MYR may or may not also belong on that list. It doesn't appear in the schedules after September 5, but I think it might be coming back in November anyway.

ERJ170

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:27 am

Ohhh.. Myyy.. Goshhhh.. that is funny. PIT is simply going to turn into any regular Tier 2 airport. That's just the reality. PIT needs to go ahead and start working on remaking itself into a desirable destination instead of trying to become anther hub or focus city for another airline. The location is too north for N-S traffic, and to east for E-W traffic. The airport authority should be working on getting any additioonal airline acquired for any additional destinations. PIT will probably never be another hub like it was for US. It probably won't be a hub again. And if they were smart, they wouldn't want to be. PIT should quit looking for international airlines and start getting some domesticate routes. It has the space/gates/counters for it.. something some airports don't. So suck it up, tighten the belt, and get the h*ll out there and do some actual recruiting like almost all other airports are doing... nap time is over. Time to get back into the real world.
Aiming High and going far..

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:29 am

I highly, highly doubt you'll see CLT-SCE. We aren't as big as ERI. ERI used to see mainline US equipment from PIT. SCE has never seen more than a Dash-8, (although for the month of Oct, there will be a CRJ on PIT-SCE) PHL-SCE will get a CRJ or 2 come November. Plus there is not really connecting people in the direction they want to go. There is not a ton of people headed to the Carribean from here, and it seems if they wanted to do that, they would've announced it already like they have with other markets that are losing PIT but picking up PHL or CLT.

Yes, NW picked up a lot of former US traffic out of SCE over the past few years, with PIT becoming less and less. DL really sped up the process of stealing PIT traffic to CVG. Those two will benefit because of this. Also for the fact, NW usually had the cheapest fares out of SCE, and US would usually be significantly higher.

You can argue that when NW, then DL has slowly taken over many of US former strong-holds in the east. SCE, ERI, ELM, BGM, etc, used to be almost exclusive to US. Now both NW and DL are operating numerous RJ's into these destinations and over a vastly superior network heading westbound than US does.

ncflyer

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:51 am

I don't agree at all that PIT is too far east to be a good hub. I'll bet if you were to draw a population center of gravity of the US, it would be right around PIT on the up and down axis. PIT worked beautifully as a hub for many many years, USAir's high costs structure is what didn't work. And 9/11 making people less willing to take short flights, that didn't help PIT any either. PIT isn't really a heck of a lot different than DTW and CVG, two strong hubs, the only major city really in between the two pairs is CLE.

But I do agree that PIT's days as a major hub are pretty well done, even though the location is fine. There's no one else to fill the vacuum, and hub carriers are shrinking not growing.

My bad about missing the CLE announcement. Even though CLE is a major city, USAir has virtually nothing left anymore.

N670UW

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:55 am

The airport authority should be working on getting any additioonal airline acquired for any additional destinations.

They already are. The ACAA is in discussions with WN, and is trying to recruit B6, F9, and NK.

"'We have had recent conversations and continue to keep an open line of discussion,' said Southwest spokeswoman Brandy King."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04204/349836.stm

"George is chasing after a slew of others -- including Southwest Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Frontier Airlines and Spirit Airlines"
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04217/356301.stm

PIT should quit looking for international airlines and start getting some domesticate routes.

The PIT-FRA route is beneficial not only to the airport and the companies that use it, but to the entire region. I'm sure the ACAA will be hunting for LH to assume to the FRA route. The international routes are just as important as the domestic ones.

And if they were smart, they wouldn't want to be [a hub].

Most don't. A non-hubbed PIT will provide lower fares and a more diverse array of carriers.

So suck it up, tighten the belt, and get the h*ll out there and do some actual recruiting like almost all other airports are doing... nap time is over.

The ACAA already is, and has been for months. So maybe you can do a little looking of your own before you make blatant generalizations like that.  Insane

[Edited 2004-08-13 04:59:44]

ERJ170

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:26 pm

No need to look.. somebody would correct me if I was wrong.. and you did.. so thank you.. I think it is an excellent idea for PIT to move ahead.. I am glad for them...

Aiming High and going far..

kith

Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:27 pm

Hey lay off ITH! Its sad to see an airport such as ITH go from four/five DC-9 flights to PIT to none. Yes, they will likely upgrade our service to all RJ's to PHL but PHL is a nightmare when talking about delays from ITH vs. PIT. If US goes under, would small airports such as ITH deal directly w/ Trans States/Colgan....it may come to that.-Matt in KITH

ithdca

Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:11 pm

Speaking of flights to ITH:

I notice that the press release only mentions Piedmont stopping PIT-ITH. Does this mean (hope springs eternal) that PSA and/or Mesa will still operate the route, or was this just sloppiness? The same thing goes for ELM and possibly others ...

N670UW

Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:21 pm

I notice that the press release only mentions Piedmont stopping PIT-ITH. Does this mean (hope springs eternal) that PSA and/or Mesa will still operate the route, or was this just sloppiness? The same thing goes for ELM and possibly others ...

PIT-ITH, as well as PIT-ELM are gone as of November.

jr

Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:27 pm

I flew a BA763 on the LGW-PIT route about 8 or so years back, when BA and US where still buddies. Never imagined those silver planes would turn to black (...ok dark blue), and then be starting their disappearing act around now... wow - just how time changes things.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

wgw2707

Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:27 pm

This cut is entirely PIT's fault for refusing to reduce the fees charged for US Airways. The PIT authorities made the choice to loose US Airways, and now they're paying the consequences. The unfortunate victim here is not US Airways, but the Pittsburgh air traveller, who no longer has non-stop access to Europe and several regional markets.

-WGW2707

[Edited 2004-08-13 09:35:32]

N670UW

Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:02 pm

This cut is entirely PIT's fault for refusing to reduce the fees charged for US Airways.

They didn't 'refuse.' US Airways told the ACAA throughout bankruptcy that the leases wouldn't be rejected, and US rejected them 20 minutes before exiting bankruptcy. US Airways then made the demands for the lower lease rates and RJ-compatible gates, and threatened to leave without them. But, for the amount US wanted the debt service lowered, the ACAA would basically have to file for bankruptcy, and US never suggested any way of lowering the debt service, except for raising hotel and car rental taxes statewide, which is illogical. The county couldn't lower the debt by the amount the airline wanted, and now they're leaving.