zrs70

Why Is Booze Important To You When Flying

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:17 am

So many people make a big deal out of free booze when flying. What's the attraction?
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

TomFoolery

RE: Why Is Booze Important To You When Flying

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:34 am

because on long haul, it is possible to become relaxed enough to actually sleep in the coach cabin...try doing that with coffee!

Tf

P.S. I know.....drink lots of water, and you get drunk faster at 35000 feet, and blah blah blah.
Paper makes an airplane fly

ERJ170

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:35 am

You get drunk drinking water? never heard that.. for real?
Aiming High and going far..

VSlover

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:40 am

well ERJ170, technically you are able to drink enough water to experience similar effects that you would otherwise experience drinking alcohol, but you would have to literally ingest gallons of water in a very very short period of time. i dont feel like getting into the physiological mechanisms behind it now.

though you were being funny, yes i know--HA HA

Zrs70- you say people make a big deal out of free booze when flying, hell i'd make a big deal out of free booze wherever i am!

Theiler

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:31 am

Possibly because flying commercially just isn't that much fun anymore. Perhaps to dull the pain?  Big grin

bartond

Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:52 pm

Well if you live in a city and you drink at all at bars, then you'll know how much you can (and do) spend having drinks. I live in Dallas and it's expensive enough - I can't imagine what it's like in Manhattan or San Francisco. It's ridiculous. So, when I used to hop on board a 10 hour flight to London and get a free Tanqueray and Tonic, then I'd get a little smile on my face and order another one real fast.

Overall it's not that big of a deal but it's just another little thing that gives you a few minutes of joy. Until you have 6 liquor drinks, then anything and everything gives you joy.

acidradio
Crew

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:36 pm

It changes the sense of time. Let's face it - while we all love airplanes, sitting in a seat for a long period (especially internationally) gets really really boring and cumbersome. Alcohol tends to take away the care of not being able to do anything but sit there for a long time.

That, and it lowers inhibitions. Honestly, some of the best conversations I've had with people took place while I was boozing it up with the guy sitting next to me in first class. The alcohol kept flowing and we had healthy multiple-tangent conversations.

Also, if you aren't a fan of turbulance, alcohol (at least for me) takes a roller-coaster ride and makes it either unnoticeable or even kind of fun and exciting. Just as long as you don't spill your drink all over yourself  Big grin
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

jamotcx

Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:58 pm

Well if your an alcoholic then flights with free alcohol become very interesting Big grin

Now being serious, its a nice bonus having free drinks, and normally i'll take a few mini bottles with me when i leave the plane. BUT I dont book flights because of free drinks on one airline and not on the other.

But I know if I have to pay for alcohol on the plane I wont do, I'll stick to the soft drinks, or use my duty free (yes i know i'm not allowed but how do they know?)

Jamo

BCAL

Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:03 pm

Are there any major international airlines that are "alcohol free" - alcohol is neither served nor permitted on board any of their aircraft?

Perhaps one or more of the Middle East carriers?
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

ua777222

Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:22 pm

For me the booze isn't important but it sure as hell helps with the mom from the ground. She's not a big flying person so a little booze is good to let it settle right in. I stick to the tea and coffee. I like to gut it out during the flights. I'm too big in coach to actually get some sleep (really bad left knee) and when in Business or First I like to take advantage of the expearence as much as possible.

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

DIJKKIJK

Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:21 pm

Are there any major international airlines that are "alcohol free" - alcohol is neither served nor permitted on board any of their aircraft?

Saudi Arabian, Pakistan International and Iran Air for sure don't.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

ly7e7

Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:23 pm

It's important on the ground, why air should be different?
2 things are endless: ignorance and space

kl911

Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:27 pm

''So many people make a big deal out of free booze when flying. What's the attraction?''

Booze is always important, flying or not.........  Laugh out loud

Starlionblue

Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:29 pm

I like a good glass of wine, but this doesn't change that much on a plane or not. It's not a huge deal to go without. But there's something about a great view, a great book and a (ok normally not so great but anyway decent) glass of wine that just feels good.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots."

AMS

Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:48 pm

It is interesting to see that U.S airlines charge a fee (about $5) for alcoholic beverages in international Y class, while European Airlines don't.

Regards,
AMS

boac707

Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:11 pm

Well, seing as one drink is the equivalent to three at altitude, free booze is great...if you don't spend money on the stuff that creates the hangover, maybe it makes the discomfort a little more tolerable.

On the other hand, paying through the nose for flights...is the booze really free????
smokey classics to the end of time

hz747300

Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:57 pm

No, the booze is not really free. Actually, I find that I get dehydrated enough just flying so I avoid the adult beverages until I am back on the ground. If it is a long haul flight and sleep is a concern, I do a mild o/d on TylenolPM. I take three of them - and its no worries for eight hours.
Keep on truckin'...

Tristar100

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:02 pm

I was drinking on my way home from Frankfurt last Monday to try and ignore the turbulence, it was a struggle, not the turbulence but trying to prize a free beer out of the B/A cabin crew.

Steve.

geoffm

Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:32 pm

Since when has booze been free? Last time I heard they included it in the ticket price... so it's not free at all. I suppose next you'll be saying the IFE is free, the seat is free, your meal is free, all you are really paying for is space in the aircraft?

Something is only free if you would otherwise have to pay for it. If you were to get a drink on an carrier which charges for drinks, then that is free. If you were to get a drink on a carrier which does not charge for drinks, that is NOT free. Simple.

Anyway, I'm the sort of person that can either:
1. Sleep lightly without alcohol
2. Not sleep at all with a little alcohol (say 1-2 glasses of wine)
3. Sleep well with a bad hangover with lots of alcohol (say 3-5 glasses of wine, if you can even get that much out of a FA unless in 1st class)
Which means I tend to avoid it on overnighters but will drink during the day.

Geoff M.

Greg

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:18 pm

As a pilot, I hate to go anywhere without my usual pre-takeoff martini.

matthewroy

Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:31 pm

I rarely drink when I fly, but I know that a lot of people do, even on short hops. I just took a PDX-SEA hop on a Horizon Dash-8 on Monday. They served all the customary soft drinks along with a featured beer and wine at no charge... Also, I flew British Midland between LHR and BFS last year and it appeared that the alcohol was free, though I didn't have any. I think that's the most alcohol I have ever seen consumed on an hour-long flight. The woman next to me had three drinks between LHR and BFI.
Non pilus tam tenuis ut secari non possit

aa777jr

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:38 am

Most KLM flights and NWA flights across the pond offer free booze to all classes. Then when I fly AA, business or first, I always get free booze. I'm sure they add that into the cost of your ticket though. No F/A is gonna server anyone more than 4-5 drinks. Although...two summers ago, going to see my folks, I flew a AF 747-400 outta NYC and the F/A, told me after she initially offered cocktails, that there would be a cart with alcohol behind my seat. I got up to use the restroom about 20 mins later, and there it was, sitting there, with all those little bottles of liquor and wine. I was in business class on the AF flight. I took a few for after my flight, but I do find, drinking alcohol on extended international flights puts my into a severe jet lag, as well as dehydration. Cheers,

AA777jr
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

Starlionblue

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:48 am

It would be more correct to say that alcohol is "included".

travatl

Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:50 am

Let's all say it together, shall we?

FREE BOOZE

Any questions? I thought not.

Travis

ltbewr

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:01 am

For some, the anxiety of flying can be reduced by the consuming alcoholic beverages. For some, 1-2 alcoholic drinks (ie: in moderation) helps they relax and sleep. In those cases, and in moderation, it keeps the pax calm and less difficult for the f/a's to deal with. For some, they are cheap or live in places where alcholic beverages are difficult or expensive to obtain. There is also the fact that booze is not really that expensive in cost to an airline when consumed moderately and is a custom of service that developed over the years. I really don't like to drink much alcohol on flights as it dehydrates you, I don't like the buzz on day flights and make one have to use the toilet more.

burg400

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:15 am

I'll always ask for a "Large Single Malt Whisky" I usually only drink the one miniature and save the other for the wife's growing collection, only once have I been misheard on a flight back from AGP and got a "Single Blended Whiskey" drank that no mini for the wife.
Also one drinks usually enough as either My bikes waiting for me at LHR or I'm going to be driving at the other end.
We all like to think we are getting something for nothing and let's be honest we sometimes ask for something a bit different to our normal tipple (Change being as good as a rest). I've got an eight hour flight coming up in sept may go for the red wine with the meal then try and kip.
Golf " A good walk Wasted" not the way I play

masseybrown

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:18 am

I enjoy a nice *big* martini, but no more than two as I do not enjoy being drunk. The martini is a little signal to my brain that "here are a couple of hours in which you can relax and not have to think about anything competitive." Very pleasant time on the ground or in the air.

Unpleasant experience: I ordered a martini on Virgin and got a glass of vermouth. Glad I didn't have to pay for it. The Virgin FA's should be sent to sensitivity training for abusing us poor Americans.

ConcordeBoy

Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:47 am

...it isn't, in the least
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

brons2

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:24 am

It is interesting to see that U.S airlines charge a fee (about $5) for alcoholic beverages in international Y class, while European Airlines don't.

DL charged $4 or 4euros for wine and beer. Pay in dollars, it's cheaper!

When booking future international travel, I will remember that I had to pay for it on DL. (among the other things I didn't like about DL). My next trip to FRA is Sept 3rd, and I just found out from this thread that it will include complimentary alcohol, yay!

So far Sabena has had the best service on international flights that I have been on, too bad they're not around anymore.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

Starlionblue

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:27 am

Sabena? Sabena had the best service?

Different strokes I guess, but I would try Virgin Atlantic, SAS, Singapore, Cathay.

Jkw777

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:30 am

Hi there,

To me it's not that much of an issue. I have only really had an alcoholic drink(s) on one of my long haul flights, and it made the whole experience a little bit better. But I was on holiday with a mate, so we had to kick it off with a drink together!

Where as if I was just flying short haul, I don't see the need to start downing cans of beer. I'd much rather get to my destination sober.

I say drinking on the daytime flight is better as someone mentioned. Flying back on a red eye from North America to the UK is bad enough on it's own, let alone being pissed and hung over when you land.

Next year when I fly long haul again, I may have a drink as it will be the start of my holiday! So I might as well enjoy it a little bit.

Just my thoughts on the matter,

Cheers,

Justin  Big thumbs up
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

SafetyDude

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:35 am

For me, it is not. Then again, I do not drink to begin with.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Starlionblue

Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:40 am

I have always found that beer tastes rather "off" in flight. So does Coke so it's probably something with the carbonation. Yech...

Red wine it is, but I always seem to have to warm it between my legs first. Red wine should not be served at 8 degrees C!  Big grin

solnabo

Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:07 am

IMO booze is not important, but it´s a half orgasm to zip a double J Walker OTR in first/buissnes class and no turbulence in the air  Big thumbs up

My 50 öre*

Micke
Airbus SAS - Love them both

Dash8King

Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:28 am

Only had it once on First Air where they served a nice coffee drink with Bailey's.

Lufthansa747

Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:40 am

Nothing like drinking Dom in SQ First or Krug in their SIN F lounge. Pretty nice considering the taxes for the F award ticket were less than a single bottle of Dom 95.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

brons2

Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:52 am

Sabena? Sabena had the best service?

Well okay I have not tried those other airlines. But I must say that the very pretty (incredible blue eyes) Sabena girls took VERY good care of me when I boarded with a terrible hangover from an all-nighter. They did a lot to help me feel better.

For certain, the service is better than on the American based airlines.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

Lufthansa747

Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:57 am

with a terrible hangover from an all-nighter. They did a lot to help me feel better.

Brons2, Your experience sounds like mine - LH SEN lounge in Berlin after an all nighter... well the tea and water were greatly appreciated!!" And this trip was a mileage run where I decided no hotel was necessary... Probably spent more money on booze than I would have on a hotel room  Insane
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

UA744KSFO

Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:23 am

Two words ... I'm Catholic! Need I explain why free booze (or even booze I have to pay for) is important to me?!  Smile

geoffm

Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:52 am

I'd better just clarify my last post... I sometimes drink on long haul flights, but rarely on short haul - generally because they're business trips and/or involve driving at the other end. But only #1 or #2, not to the excesses of #3!

Actually, I'm not that bothered either way. As long as drink of some form is available (Canada Dry Ginger Ale, juice, etc) I'm happy. I don't expect LCCs like easyJet or Ryanair to provide drinkies without charging though.

Geoff M.

kl911

Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:27 am

SafetyDude ,

''For me, it is not. Then again, I do not drink to begin with. '''

Figured that one with that username........  Laugh out loud

icarus75

Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:34 am

Geoffm : alcohol included in the price ticket?
So explain that : CDG - ATL with AF, economy class --> free alcoholic beverages.
ATL - CDG with DL --> you're charge between 2$ & 5$ depending of what you drink.
Flying is amazing!

boo25

Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:37 am

People like it , because , its FREE!

Plus with the added glamour element of flying, people think they can let their hair down and feel good about the whole thing, plus the proximity to all these total strangers !

This comes at a price though..........

A) A miniature bottle drunk at say 35,000 feet is equivalent to 4 drinks on the ground.... because of less oxygen and they are all doubles believe it or not.

B) You get dehydrated VERY quickly ,as cabin humidity is very low, so hello jack daniels, and hello megahangover, unsociable behaviour and DVT.....

C ) Ok, DVT is bad enough, but unruly ,agressive and dangerous behaviour involves everyone  Sad
The average person drinking say, 5 whiskies on a flight (with the 4x factor in mind) is actually drinking alot more than that.
Factor in less Oxygen,small meals,tiredness etc and things can get pretty bad...

I think i am right in saying that all airlines have a zero tolerance attitude towards drunken behaviour nowadays . . certainly at BA we do.
It will not be tolerated fullstop, and you face either being offloaded, warned , banned (for v long periods) or restrained and arrested / jailed , so be on your guard !

Sit back , relax ,enjoy a drink or two , but maybe just leave it there , drink lots of water , and hey you'll feel great on arrival too!

Cheerz  Smile

ANX4fishing

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:11 am

When traveling for work I usually stick to soft drinks and coffee. However, when on my way on vacation, it's happy hour all the way. A cocktail or two usually dulls the pain in my ass after a few hours in a crumby coach seat.

ANX

CALMSP

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:15 am

to make the FA's and pax more attractive!!

m404

Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:17 am

Its not important at all.

It worsens the effects of altitude and you come of a long haul with a hangover and much worse jet lag. Then you waste the first day recovering when you could be a more efficient worker or just enjoy the vacation more.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding