zippyjet

National Sun King Livery

Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:14 pm

If I'm not mistaken, National Airlines introduced their popular "Sun King livery around 1967. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My question is. Were there any L-188 Electras still in service at that time and adorned with this cool livery design? While on the subject of the classic National Airlines did their slogan "Airline Of The Stars" referred to celebrities and movie stars traveling on National or, was this tag line meant to convey an image of space travel? And, last but not least, in the 30's, 40's and early 1950's National was the airline of the "Route of the Buccaneers." Why did National identify itself with pirates?
 Confused
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

OPNLguy

RE: National Sun King Livery

Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:41 pm

I don't have any answers to your questions myself, but I'd bet that someone at the site below might...  Big grin

http://www.nationalsundowners.com/home.php
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

MxCtrlr

RE: National Sun King Livery

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:01 pm

I'll try to give it a go...

Were there any L-188 Electras still in service at that time and adorned with this cool livery design?

The L-188's were already parked by this time. The latest livery they had was the Red/Blue "N" livery.

While on the subject of the classic National Airlines did their slogan "Airline Of The Stars" referred to celebrities and movie stars traveling on National or, was this tag line meant to convey an image of space travel?

While NAL carried lots of celebrities to/from South Florida (remember, back then, Miami Beach was the "Fun N Sun Capital of the World" and a really nice place to come to in the winter) it was also a reference to their livery at the time.

And, last but not least, in the 30's, 40's and early 1950's National was the airline of the "Route of the Buccaneers." Why did National identify itself with pirates?

NAL started out in St. Petersburg, FL, an area that even today has the big Gasparilla festival (and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL team) that is a celebration of Florida's, and the Tampa Bay area's, pirate heritage.

Hope this answers a lot of your questions but I also refer you to National Sundowners site http://www.nationalsundowners.com. Suzanne Miller has put one helluva site together on all eras of NAL.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos