zanadou

Ooo, BBC Spelt Qantas With A "U"!

Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:04 pm

Usually I don't enter into this type of topic - it's right up with with the A vs B topics as far as I'm concerned - but this seems to good to let go without mention.

Can you spot where in the following article BBC used the word "Quantas" ??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3565616.stm

Hint: Look under the "Ambush Marketing" box-out. Big grin

Oh well, back to lurk mode again...

--->Zanadou Big grin

backfire

RE: Ooo, BBC Spelt Qantas With A "U"!

Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:50 pm

Qantas itself has been misspelling the word 'Quantas' by missing out the 'u' for years, and no-one seems to mind...

L-188

Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:53 pm

Wait a second.

I thought only americans did that......
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

planesarecool

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:17 pm

Backfire,

No, because QANTAS is an Acronym meaning something like "Queensland and Southern Territories Air Services" (may be incorrect, don't shoot me  Big grin). So putting a U in wouldn't go in with the acronym.

-Stephen

backfire

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:27 pm

While you have the dictionary open, Planesarecool, you can look up the word 'sarcasm'.

[Edited 2004-08-15 13:29:58]

DeltaWings

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:50 pm

Planesarecool,
Qantas stands for Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service

DeltaWings
Homer: Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen.

planesarecool

Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:54 pm

Oops how can somebody mistake an S and an N Embarrassment

Backfire, chill out dude  Big grin

-Stephen

QANTAS077

Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:02 pm

kinda stupid of the BBC to spell it wrong when a british company owns nearly 30% of Qantas.

if you can't spell the name of our airline properly then you bloodywell should learn!

MEA-707

Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:21 pm

Come on... Of course the BBC should doublecheck all the facts and names but the journalist writes about marketing, but it is not an article specialized on airlines... and how many of you folks would be able to spell let's say Hewlett Packard ?
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Capital146

Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:29 pm

Its irritating to those of us who know better, but how can you expect a journalist to get it right when many so called 'enthusiasts' on here still can't spell it correctly.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

carnoc

Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:04 pm

Once again, QANTAS stands for Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services. It is Aerial Services, not Air Service or Air Services (90% of Aussies always get this wrong)!

Best Regards.

SafetyDude

Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:06 pm

and how many of you folks would be able to spell let's say Hewlett Packard
I think I could, and if I was not sure, I could easily just Google it. If you Google "Quantas", Google asks "Did you mean Qantas?" and in any event, the first result is Qantas Airways.

Its irritating
Indeed, it is.  Big grin

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

kalakaua

Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:23 am

You British folks don't mind adding an extra "U" to every word, like colour, flavour, etc... Acronyms does not necessarily mean first letter of each word.

"Qantas stands for Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service"

Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service
OR
Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service

And what does ETOPS stand for? < sarcasm>Oh my goodness, they put in extra letters, but left certain letters out!< /sarcasm> This isn't the end of the world, and if it was, nobody cares...
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

andz

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:09 am

Kalakaua....remember what the language is called....ENGLISH...hence from ENGLAND....so the British don't add letters, it's the Americans who leave them out....
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

kalakaua

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:17 am

Your comment just reminded me of "Rule Britannia!"
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

WomBat151

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:21 am

Okay, so then there is also no "english accent", it's the Americans who speak with the accent?  Smile
Ian @ EHAM (AMS), 3,1NM of SPY VOR radial 205

SafetyDude

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:39 am

This isn't the end of the world, and if it was, nobody cares...
I would be very careful with saying things like that as there are plenty of people who care.

This isn't the end of the world, and if it was, nobody cares...
I would be very careful with saying things like that as there are plenty of people who care.

Kalakaua....remember what the language is called....ENGLISH...hence from ENGLAND....so the British don't add letters, it's the Americans who leave them out....
English has two variations, British English and American English. Some countries will choose one of those versions of English, but there will naturally be some variations.

It is not a matter of adding or leaving letters out, but rather just the standard in the langauge.

In any event, the rule-of-thumb is to go with house-style, meaning that since QANTAS spells its name that way, everyone else should follow suite.

Smile
-Will

andz

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:11 am

Since we're being pedantic about spelling, it's follow SUIT  Smile
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

geoffm

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:22 am

Ooh, aren't we picky?!

The language, according to Mr Bryson, has varied more in the UK than the US. The common assumption is the first Europeans (or Brits) in the US were illiterate and thus couldn't spell properly. In fact the Americans have stuck with the quaint old way of English spelling, but in the meantime the English have modernised a bit more. Apparently.

All together now, "they're playing with their dog over there" and "you're playing with your dog". There, I'm happy now.

Geoff M.

SafetyDude

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:40 am

Since we're being pedantic about spelling, it's follow SUIT
Actually it is not. "Suit" refers to following something else, where as "suite" refers to following something similar. Thus, agencies need to follow suite, as it is talking about Qantas, not something else.

Smile
-Will

boo25

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:42 am

LOL - well its all due to the one thing affecting the entire world now - downsizing and getting in cheap unskilled staff - who can't spell!

SafetyDude

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:47 am

LOL - well its all due to the one thing affecting the entire world now - downsizing and getting in cheap unskilled staff - who can't spell!
Or know where to put in their comma's in "it's".  Big grin

-Will

boo25

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:51 am

cheek  Laugh out loud

if you borrow my language you put up with the comma situation  Big thumbs up

m404

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:19 pm

OK Since we are talking proper versus vernacular I've had a question referance the thread title. Is the word(?) spelt proper as I've not heard it before accept from "Down Under" I looked it up and bingo there it was but I've not heard it before stateside. No wonder others think English is so hard. See, this site is educational Mom.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

Dasa

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:41 pm

Actually it is not. "Suit" refers to following something else, where as "suite" refers to following something similar. Thus, agencies need to follow suite, as it is talking about Qantas, not something else.

Actually, "to follow suit" means "to follow an example set" (straight from Merriam-Webster Online), thus Andz was correct.

follow suit 1 : to play a card of the same suit as the card led
2 : to follow an example set
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=succeed

numloxx

Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:27 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but did you know that www.quantas.com redirects to the USA version of the Qantas Website?
That's saying something.
Perth, Western Australia

geoffm

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:29 am

Hah, that's nothing. Just go to http://www.queasyjet.com and see what you get! http://www.Gooogle.com works too.

Geoff M.

SafetyDude

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:42 am

Is the word(?) spelt proper as I've not heard it before accept from "Down Under" I looked it up and bingo there it was but I've not heard it before stateside
Spelt is actually a type of grain, and if you are talking about the grain, it is correct. If you are talking about to spell (a word) in the past, both "spelt" and "spelled" are correct, but "spelled" the preferred spelling. The preferred spelling of other words is: dreamed, knelt, leaned, leapt, learned, smelled, spoiled.

Actually, "to follow suit" means "to follow an example set" (straight from Merriam-Webster Online), thus Andz was correct.
Modern dictionaries only give the spelling of words, not their usage in every day language. If you pull out a decent-sized grammar book, you will see the difference in usage between a specific item and a general item.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already, but did you know that www.quantas.com redirects to the USA version of the Qantas Website?
That's saying something.

Many websites will do that type of thing for the benefit of the user, as the user might not know the spelling, or might have made a mistake - such as the BBC.

Smile
-Will

BD1959

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:05 pm

Will:
Spelt is actually a type of grain, and if you are talking about the grain, it is correct. If you are talking about to spell (a word) in the past, both "spelt" and "spelled" are correct, but "spelled" the preferred spelling.

Oh dear, not according to the Cambridge Dictionary:

spell (FORM WORDS) verb [I or T] spelled or UK AND AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH ALSO spelt, spelled or UK AND AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH ALSO spelt
to form a word or words with the letters in the correct order

Modern dictionaries only give the spelling of words, not their usage in every day language.

Oh dear again: how "modern" is an online dictionary? Cambridge again:

Definition
follow suit
to do the same thing as someone else:
When one airline reduces its prices, the rest soon follow suit.

- I kid you not, that is the example given!!

English is a living language, inevitably it will grow in different directions given certain inputs, but that's not what we're discussing here is it? We're discussing the name of a legal entity (Qantas Airways Limited); QANTAS is an acronym as IBM is. Marketing types doubtless register and link various spellings of urls to hit their own website; that doesn't mean that the spelling is correct.

BD1959

ssides

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:27 pm

Check the link again, it looks like it's been corrected, so all should be forgiven.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

SafetyDude

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:34 pm

spell (FORM WORDS) verb [I or T] spelled or UK AND AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH ALSO spelt, spelled or UK AND AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH ALSO spelt
to form a word or words with the letters in the correct order

If you get out a grammar book, you will see that "spelled" if the preferred spelling. In any event, the user who asked was the US so I provided him with an answer according to US grammar rules.

Oh dear again: how "modern" is an online dictionary? Cambridge again:
As mentioned, dictionaries tell you how to spell a word, not use it. Get out a grammar book and look it up.

When one airline reduces its prices, the rest soon follow suit.

- I kid you not, that is the example given!!

If you read my post, the two different version depend on when something is specifically mentioned. There was no specific mentioned airline in that example.

English is a living language, inevitably it will grow in different directions given certain inputs
It grows, but it will maintain what is correct.

Smile
-Will

BD1959

Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:45 pm

Will:

If you get out a grammar book, you will see that "spelled" if the preferred spelling.

and

As mentioned, dictionaries tell you how to spell a word, not use it. Get out a grammar book and look it up.

Dear, dear Will. Can you please make up your mind? If I take out a "grammar book" (I presume you mean a book of grammar) will I see the preferred spelling - or how to use the word?

Dictionaries don't tell you how to spell a word (although most people use them for that reason) they actually tell you the pronunciation, root, type and definition of the word; they also usually put the word into various contexts so that you further understand it's definition.

"Grammar Books" don't tell you how to use a word, they tell you how to grammatically construct sentences.

I provided him with an answer according to US grammar rules - Quite!!

BD1959