atcboy73

Any News/rumors On ORD Flight Reductions?

Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:24 pm

I was just thinking about this the other day.

We haven't heard any news (at least as far as I know) of the results of the FAA/airline meeting about delays at ORD.

Any one have any news, or heard any rumors about flights being cut at ORD.

The article below doesn't have any new info but approaches the story on the side of safety.
http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2004/08/15/news/editorials/1002215.txt

atrude777

RE: Any News/rumors On ORD Flight Reductions?

Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:38 am

Both the St. Louis dispatch and Chicago Tribune have mentioned most liekly STL will get the flights, BUT it will still br regional jets. just moving the RJ to STL, so while we will get more flights, its still RJ. sucks lol. What i think AA needs to do is put bigger planes to the hubs, say ORD-LAX/MIA/FLL/DFW/STL use a 757 instead of MD80 or 738. ORD-DFW has a 777 and STL-ORD is all MD80 but they used to have a saturday only 757 plus the MD80's. While I realize frequency is what gets the passnegers flying them , i just got to sya SUCK IT UP~!! Just fly when the airline has a time and if u cant do it then accomodate it.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

airportplan

Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:34 am

There has not been a resolution on the ORD issues. Most likely the FAA will impose a per hour cap. The latest number that I have heard is 90. In the end the big losers will be the smaller secondary cities who will probably see some of their flights cut. The big high yield markets such as ATL, DCA, LGA, MSP, LAX, SFO etc. will not see any cuts.

Mizzou65201

Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:39 am

Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle sent a letter to all of the ORD airlines asking them to move some service to MKE. Doubt it will work, but nice try.

On a separate note, I bet NW is loving this. I'm a fairly frequent flyer LAX-MKE and LAX-MSN. Between the ORD delay problems and Air Wisconsin's inferior customer service (IMO), I would much rather choose a NW connection through MSP. (Plus, they still fly mainline to many cities the other big jets abandoned long ago.) I'm sure UA and AA still have a good grasp on the O&D market, but I think NW has a big opportunity here to steal some of the connecting traffic to the smaller cities in the upper midwest.

longhaulheavy

Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:45 am

I've become a big fan flying NW out of MKE. I've never been to MSP either!  Smile Their LAX-MKE nonstop fits my schedule perfectly. I try to fly YX when I can, but YX's service to LAX is their "Express Saver," so the flights are no different from NW's.

atcboy73

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:48 pm

Airportplan makes a good point.

Its my bet that cities like Moline, Peoria and Bloomington IL will loose a little service. Im talking of the smaller towns in IL, IN and neighboring states. AA could transfer some of these services to STL and UA might just drop them.

I guess this because these are probably the lower yielding flights that service more connecting passengers and are probably more expensive to operate due to higher fuel prices and shorter leg lengths on RJs. Also because of this I bet AA would transfer some of this flying (short hops from STL) to Eagle Saabs or Trans States/Corp Express props with a small amount of RJs added to larger cities.

So if this comes true the hubs that might see some slightly higher loads might be CVG, STL MSP, MKE and DTW.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos