NWFltAttendant

Rumor: Delta Fires All Flight Attendants On Leave

Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:10 pm

I heard a rumor that DL fired all the FAs that took voluntary 1,2, and 5 year leaves. IF YOU CAN CLARIFY ANYTHING ABOUT THIS, PLEASE POST !

[Edited 2004-08-16 08:12:10]
Go yakkin !!!!!!

AirframeAS

RE: Rumor: Delta Fires All Flight Attendants On Leave

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:35 pm

I dont think that would be legal, IMO... If DL did really do this, the union would go berserk probably.

They would need to have very, very good grounds for termination. Now if the voluntary UNPAID leaves of absence were 'offered' to the F/As, then it would be illegal termination, but if a F/A took an leave of absence on their own with management approval, then that would probably be different.

But in reality, I dont think DL has fired anyone so its got to be a stupid rumor to get the DL employees and unions on the edge. BTW, sources helps alot too.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

LAXintl

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:54 pm

I do not believe DL's flight attendants are unionized. However have not heard of any such mass terminations.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

AirframeAS

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:56 pm

I thought the DL F/As were unioned along with pilots and mechanics. But the rampers and CSAs are not.....

Lono

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:01 pm

F/A's at DL are not unionized

Only Pilots and dispatchers are unionized
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

SHUPirate1

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:02 pm

Airframe-Hate to say this one to you (and all of the non-union people at DL) but the only unionized groups at Delta are the pilots and the dispatchers...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

B747-437B

Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:02 pm

FWIW, all the Delta VLA packages only carry a conditional reinstatement clause. There will be no guaranteed return to active duty at the end of the leave period - that is conditional upon there being spare jobs at the time. Seniority doesn't mean squat.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Dalmd88

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:35 am

I know a couple of mechanics that took the five year leaves. I doubt they will be able to come back if they want to.

toltommy

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:54 am

What sense would it make to just terminate all FA's on leave? If there are no positions to come back to, then they don't come back. It wouldn't accomplish anything, only make for more anxiety among the employees.

geg2rap

RE: Rumor: Delta Fires All Flight Attendants On Le

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:56 am

i really hope they didn't fire the ones on military leave....would sure end my days of flying delta....
probably meant the ones on leave for other reasons.

bobnwa

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:52 am

Did you really hear this rumor or are you the originator?? Give us the details please.

toltommy

Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:34 am

This is obviously an unfounded rumor. Perhaps this thread should be closed?

OttoPylit

Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:14 am

Delta's flight attendants are not unionized. There was a drive in 2002 to organize, and it was rebuffed with a 73% nay vote. So only the pilots and dispatchers are union.

As far as the voluntary leaves offered after 9/11, the way they work are, if you took a 1 year leave, Delta will try and offer you re-instatement after that 1 year. If the opportunity is not available, then you are furloughed, and recall rights will go into effect for 5 years. You will also have recall right before any other voluntary leave workers.

If you took a 3 year leave, Delta will try and offer you re-instatement after 3 years. If the opportunity is not available, then you are furloughed, and recall rights will go into effect for 5 years. You will have recall rights before the workers who took the 5 year leave, and so on.

So any flight attendants that took the one year leave and could not be recalled are furloughed and awaiting the recall, but I believe most of them have come back already.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

bruno

Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:21 am

If this is true, that's just one more reason why I will never fly Delta again.
I will pay a higher price to avoid flying Delta.
I support the women’s movement up and down!

N328KF

RE: Rumor: Delta Fires All Flight Attendants On Le

Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:55 am

Why is it that some people always assume that it's bad that some employees are not unionized? Sheesh. Unions aren't for everyone.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

S12PPL

Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:04 am

DL's F/A's are not members of a union....They voted it out for some reason, and now the company is screwing them...no one can do anything about it now....
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

N839MH

Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:29 am

S12PPL....The DL f/a's were never unionized so they never voted one "in" not "out."

Pretty quick on assuming this "rumor" is truth to say the company is screwing them.

supposedly the "general public" unveiling of the "purged Delta" will take place next Thursday, the 26th.
Solodude!

reltney

Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:58 pm

I haven't been to work in a few days(pilot) to catch up on rumors but I have a Delta F/A girlfriend and she never heard the rumor. (it is a good one)

It is stated in previous messages there are just 2 unions at Delta and that is correct.

Funny thing. My sister in law is a Southwest pilot and she said Southwest is the most unionized airline out there but I think it is AA or UAL. My AApilot brother says it is UAL....Anybody know?

Cheers
I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

NWFltAttendant

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:39 pm

Again, this is a rumor, its not solid, which is why im throwing it out there to see what the a.net community knows. I have never insinuated that this it fact, nor have I denied it. My intention is not to start malicious crap, but just get the truth from those who have it
Go yakkin !!!!!!

Lono

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:42 pm

Isn't the time frame for these recalls already past...???
Did DL offer LOA's again after the 1995 re-structuring..???
Wally Bird Ruled the Skys!

StevenUhl777

Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:56 pm

she said Southwest is the most unionized airline out there but I think it is AA or UAL.

She's right...last I read on this website, WN is the most unionized carrier, in terms of the percentage of total employees belonging to a union, not the actual # of different unions on the property.

UA and AA are a very close 2nd, I'm sure.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

L-188

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:43 pm

really hope they didn't fire the ones on military leave....would sure end my days of flying delta

Well at least there are federal protections that they can attempt to go through. Firing National Guardsmen and Reservists on recall to active duty can get you some very serious sanctions.

I think that prohibition from federal contracts being one of them.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

skyhawk

Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:29 pm

To my knowledge there have been none and will be none fired. If things change and I get any knowledge via my husband(he works as LGA now) or a friend of ours that works out of MCO, I will be sure to let all know.

toltommy

Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:37 pm

Nwfltattendant -

It might be a rumor, but did you check ANY other sources before posting it? Did you check usvaviation, or even the Yahoo boards? At least do a little homework before posting a rumor that you can substantiate in ANY way.

How would you like it if this title said NWA instead of DL?

I still suggest this thread be deleted.

bucky707

Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:43 pm

I have not heard this rumor. I did hear a while back that no one will be coming back off leave for a while. So even if you took a one year leave, and that year is up, you are not coming back yet. I also seem to remember they were told that was a possibility when they took the leaves, but not sure.

OttoPylit

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:15 am

Yes Bucky, that is correct. When the leaves were offered, there was a lot of people jumping to get at them. Take a leave, but still get flight benefits? Heck yea. But they were warned that there is a possibility that you may not be returning at the end of the leave.

Delta would love to re-instate all employees, but sadly, that is not possible at this time. Which is why furloughed employees have a higher recall number than employees still on leave. The idea is to get a job back for everyone.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:39 am

Since there are no sources provided, I agree that the thread should be deleted.....

AA767400

Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:54 am

I work for AA, And I to have heard this rumor. I always wondered whether it was true or not. Why is it such a big deal for someone to post a so called rumor out there? This person is just asking if it is true or not. So let's take a freaking chill pill about deleting the thread.
"The low fares airline."

cvgbear

Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:10 am

It would depend on the language of the agreements the F/A's signed.

i.e. If a F/A agreed to a one year unpaid leave of absence then at the end of that one year, then Delta could officially lay them off on the grounds of position elimination. At that point, Delta could not contest unemployment benefits. (This is something else that would have been mentioned in the agreements).

However, if the F/A's were to be re-instated after that term (If stated in the agreement they signed), then they could not be legally fired. Union or not. If they were, they should file a claim with the Labor Board of their state and find a good attorney.

Obviously no DL F/A's have posted in this string or anyone who's seen one of the agreements.

milesrich

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:39 pm

If Delta wants to terminate the Flight Attendants on leave, they can, and there is no grounds to sue. They will be eligible for 26 weeks of unemployment if they are laid off but that is it. ALPA represents the pilots at Delta, and the 50 or so dispatchers are organized. There are no other union groups at Delta. Delta terminated the non contract employees Defined Benefit pension plans as of June 30, 2010 last year. There was nothing anyone could do about it. At Delta, you are an employee at will. I know, my wife is a Flight Attendant for Delta.