Purdue Arrow
Topic Author

New Name

Fri Feb 25, 2000 4:43 am

Well, after a year and a half of cood times flying Piper Cadets here at Purdue University, I have graduated to the left seat of its more powerful brother, the Piper Arrow. I've now spent 11.2 hours in this 200 horsepower, complex aircraft (retractable gear, a constant speed prop, and, of course, flaps). Among that time has been my first flight "working the system" as an IFR pilot, during a trip to Kokomo, Indiana yesterday. I filed IFR and had my first experience talking to an ARTCC (Chicago Center, in this case) and getting actual IFR clearances. Tommorrow we are planning my first foray into actual IMC conditions, heading south to Terre Haute, IN. Long story short, my user name has been changed to reflect my new bird, and I am now known as "Purdue Arrow" rather than as "Purdue Cadet".

FlyinIllini

RE: New Name

Fri Feb 25, 2000 5:02 am

Just had to shout out to my BigTenEleven brethren. Congrats on your "upgrade". Are you by any chance on the competition flying team? I am anxious to get out of the Archer and into the Arrow this summer (with luck, and money).

Purdue Arrow
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2000 5:11 am

Thanks. No, I'm not on the flight team. I was going to try out, but I had a class during the time that the team practiced for my event, so I decided not to. Good luck getting into the Arrow... it's a great plane. it's amazing how much difference that retractable gear makes!

Pilot1113

Fri Feb 25, 2000 5:54 am

Congraduations Mike! I can't wait until I can 'graduate' up to Arrow. Does PPI have an Arrow?

I've been wanting to change my username to Purdue Pilot. However, I don't want to give the impression that I'm in the flight program.  

- Neil Harrison

Purdue Arrow
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2000 6:02 am

Thanks, Neil. Unfortunately, PPI does not have any Arrows. The best they have is the Archer, which just has 20 more HP than the Cherokees. It still has fixed gear, though, and I think it has a fixed pitch prop. The gear makes the biggest difference in speed between the Cadet and the Arrow, I think, so I'm not sure that the Archer is worth the extra money. On the other hand, I'm not sure how much more PPI charges for the Archer.

Pilot1113

Fri Feb 25, 2000 8:40 am

That's too bad! Oh well...

How did you get your name changed?

I wish you the best of luck in the future, Mike! Have fun! I'd really like to fly with you one of these days.

- Neil Harrison