BFS
Topic Author

BA Dash 8s - All The Same?

Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:42 am

Ive just returned from a weekend in England, having flown BA from BHD to MAN and back. My question is this - the outward flight on Dash 8 G-BRYW was lovely, with a nice quiet cabin that looked very '777' style (i.e. curvy!) Then coming back today, we were on G-BRYI which seemed very old and, more importantly, noisy! It was like sitting on a lawnmower for an hour. Was this due to sitting near the front as opposed to the back on the outward journey? Or are the newer aircraft in fact just noisier?

And of course the service was fabulous. You poor Americans should boycott flying until you can once again have a bar service, sandwiches AND tea/coffee on a 45 minute flight!

flyboy1980

RE: BA Dash 8s - All The Same?

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:31 am

Perhaps one was an older model -300 and the other a newer Q300.

I think they introduced the noise control thing on later ones, the Q is for Quiet  Smile

LimaFoxTango

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:33 am

Probably G-BRYW was a newer Q series model and the other was the older type. But basically, all Dash 8's are the same. Technically speaking, it would be louder sitting near the engines than at the front or back. Only a few things differ from the older serious -300 for example to the Q300's. Also, looking at photos of G-BRYI here, she has been around since 1993 or before. As as said about, the "Q" stands for quiet.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

Crosswind

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:44 am

No - they're all the same, and you've got the 2 main differences!

My last 2 BA Dash8 flights were on G-BRYJ and G-BRYV, and I noticed the same things that you did.

G-BRYI/J are the last remaining standard Dash8s in the BACX fleet, with the older cabin design but more importantly they don't have NVS (Noise and Vibration Supression)

The NVS system consists of a series of microphones and speakers throughout the cabin, the microphones detect noise, it is analysed by a computer which transmits an out-of-phase signal via the speakers - this has the effect of damping out both noise and vibration.

When you've flown both NVS and non-NVS aircraft close together it's very noticeable, isn't it?

NVS was made standard in 1996, so the rest of the BACX fleet have it, they even registered a couple of aircraft G-NVS_ to acknowledge it...

More info on NVS

Regards
CROSSWIND

7LBAC111

Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:00 pm

BFS

For exactly the reason you mentioned, I always plum for seat 3D on my flights from MAN-BHD when going home to see the family. The Dash-8s are beautiful looking and very comfortable aircraft to fly on - and make a change from the 737s everyone else flies on similar routes (namely LPL-BFS and MAN-BFS)

Mark
7LBAC111
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

FlyCaledonian

Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:26 pm

As things stand those Dash 8s will have left the BA CitiExpress fleet for the start of the summer 2005 timetable, when BA CitiExpress has committed itself to being a jet operation only. So enjoy them while you can.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

7LBAC111

Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:32 pm

Really? Didn't know that at all.
The ERJs are a suitable replacement however.

f4f3a

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:15 pm

its funny that flybe a former franchise partner is going for the new dash 8s while BA is now moving away from them.

I think that maybe BA might excercise some of its erj options. I would hope that they would procure the new 170 or 190 for regional routes. I think it would look great in their colours as well

JGPH1A

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:33 pm

Re: flybe a former franchise partner

Flybe (formerly British European formerly Jersey European) was never a BA franchise.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

7LBAC111

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:36 pm

I don;t ever recall flyBE (or British European or Jersey European) ever being a BA franchise partner. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:49 pm

The ERJs are a suitable replacement however.

Yes, but these may cost more to operate. Turboprops are the most efficient type, after all, and the speed penalty is not really felt until the flight is longer than 1 hour.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

f4f3a

Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:14 pm

7LBAC111 sorry u are correct. Although I see Flybe did franchise with air france.

FlyCaledonian

Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:09 am

The problem is that BA is due to retire the Dash 8s in 9 months time yet no replacement aircraft are forthcoming. Or is BA looking at cascading aircraft, i.e. A321s entering service at LHR see some A319s move to LGW with 737-500s moving back to MAN/BHX? Either that, or further route cuts look likely to be on the cards for BA CitiExpress.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos