infiniti757

Manufacturers And LCCs With 1 A/C Type?

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:12 pm

Was just watching Airline when a thought occurred to me. What will happen to the financial model of airlines with a single aircraft type when the manufacturer stops producing that type?

For instance: Boeing stops producing 737s and starts making 7X7s(making this up), Southwest has older 737s and needs to replace them.

How will SW and other single type carriers react?

Which aircraft manufacturer will best be able to take advantage of this and why?

Also, please don't make this A vs B, thanks guys.  Smile
Give me the luxuries in life and I will gladly do without the necessities. (Frank Lloyd Wright)

pilotpip

RE: Manufacturers And LCCs With 1 A/C Type?

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:19 pm

It took nearly 20 years after production ended for the majors to stop flying the 727 and those still haven't been totally killed off. Had 9-11 not happened a few might still be using them. Parts are widely available and inexpensive because there were so many examples made.

The same will apply to 737s, and A320s years down the road when something new comes along. A manufacturer doesn't just stop supporting an old model when it quits making it so airlines like Southwest and Jet Blue have many, many years before they even start to think about this dillema.
DMI

SafetyDude

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:23 pm

Well, the 737 will most likely develop into a 737-Advanced. At that point, if the 320-family is no longer a direct competitor, I am sure that Airbus would create a 320-Advanced.

Most likely, a customer will continue buying places from the manufacturer that it had been using, unless one company has a radically different plane.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

DfwRevolution

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:27 pm

WN is lucky in that they have a large, if not the largest, voice in how the next generation of 737, or whatever is to replace the 737, is to turn out. But airlines are usually content with this because by the time a design reaches the age that requires replacement, they are willing to invest in the next generation of tech. The convienience of a single fleet type is outweighed by the performance of newer aircraft.

And it isn't as if WN has it easy as pie with the 737. They have 4 737 variants with three engine types- the 737-200Adv with JT9Ds, the 737-300/500 with CFM-3, and the 737-700 with CFM-7

DfwRevolution

Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:31 pm

Well, the 737 will most likely develop into a 737-Advanced.

It already exist  Big grin -

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Richard Barsby
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fanie Kleynhans

View Large View Medium

Photo © Felipe Letnar
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim Perkins

I'd call it something like, 737-G4 or 737-IVG (fourth generation). I'd actually like to see a cleansheet design, but the 737's versatility and flexibility could stun us again.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos