saab2000

Gate Agents: Some Are Difficult

Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:41 am

This morning I was "Jumpseating" from Washington Dulles to Appleton, WI via O'hare. The flight from IAD to ORD was great. I showed up at the gate and showed my ID and was issued a "Jumpseat" pass. Super service from the United staff and crew. United service thusfar in my experience has been excellent. Bravo!

Then I get to ORD where I have to deal with one of "our" gate agents. I respectfully request a jumpseat pass and he curtly informed me I would have to list myself. This is incorrect and I informed him of this, in a quiet but confident voice. His next statement was the command that I should not argue with him and that I better list myself.

Well, I did that even though it is not required. Had I not cared about getting home I would have asked to see his manager and informed them of this agent's surly behavior. If he is like that with no provocation, how is he to nervous passengers?

I have seen nothing but super agents and ramp workers and pilots and flight attendants with United (in spite of their difficult position), but some of the "regional" carriers' agents have a LONG way to go!

Just venting steam here.

I do not want to be seen as a "prima donna" pilot. But I have NEVER listed myself as a jumpseater yet. Yet this yahoo was SURE that I needed to do that. No smile. No offer of assistance. No friendliness. No flexibility. Just a sour grape. I had to smirk when he growled over the gate's PA system, "Thank You for flying the Friendly Skies". Guys like that should not be let into this industry. They give the rest of the industry a bad name!

smrtrthnu

isitsafenow

RE: Gate Agents: Some Are Difficult

Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:20 am

A know-it-all, brash and sassy gate agent(I think her name was god, with a small g) is exactly the reason I avoid American Airlines. I have been on close to 1000 commercial flights in the last 15 years and FOUR have been on AA.
Piss me off and I stay very calm and collected then I hit you where it hurts.....The wallet.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

AEROFAN

RE: Gate Agents: Some Are Difficult

Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:14 am

Isitsafenow "A know-it-all, brash and sassy gate agent(I think her name was god, with a small g) is exactly the reason I avoid American Airlines. I have been on close to 1000 commercial flights in the last 15 years and FOUR have been on AA.
Piss me off and I stay very calm and collected then I hit you where it hurts.....The wallet.'

Good for you Isitsafenow, I do exactly the same. Be surly with me - well guess what- I take my business elsewhere. Hence the reason I do not fly AA.