phxflyer

SJC Take-off Question

Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:20 am

Hi everyone! I recently took a trip on Southwest from Phoenix to San Jose. An interesting thing happened on the take-off out of San Jose. There was the normal power reduction at about 1000 feet, but then another unexpected and pretty large reduction about a minute later. The engines powered up again after about 2 minutes and things went on as usual. I never felt uneasy or in danger in any way, but I'm a little confused about that second power reduction. Things were nice and smooth, no clouds... Does anybody know what happened? Maybe noise abatement procedures?

Thanks!
Alex

clrd2go

RE: SJC Take-off Question

Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:01 am

Noice abatement or maybe traffic?

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

AAR90

Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:10 am

If you took off to the north the departure procedure includes a level-off until you complete the turn southbound and clear the arrival corridors for OAK and SFO. That level-off is often removed by ATC if there is no conflicting traffic. If you took off to the south there is no published reason for a second power reduction... perhaps ATC deconflicting your acft with other traffic?
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

InnocuousFox

Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:10 am

Which direction was the flow? South flow takes you right over downtown.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!