trickijedi

Baby Born On Flight To Chicago

Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:46 am

Good thing there were 3 doctors on board.

So who pays for this?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-040818baby,1,4954146.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Baby born on flight to Chicago

The Associated Press
Published August 18, 2004, 8:02 AM CDT

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands -- A Jordanian woman gave birth to a healthy daughter during a flight from Amsterdam to Chicago, the Dutch airline KLM said Wednesday.

The woman went into labor over the Atlantic on Tuesday, KLM spokesman Frank Houben said. After conferring with flight controllers and three doctors who happened to be on board, the pilot decided to land at St. John's Airport in Newfoundland, Canada.

But the baby was delivered by the doctors in the plane's pantry minutes before the plane touched down.

Guidelines by the International Air Transport Association say women should not fly in their final weeks of pregnancy. The woman told the airline she was only in the 27th week, Houben said.

"Even if she wasn't telling the truth, it's still a happy occurrence and a birth is a beautiful thing. But there's a question who will pay," Houben said.

The airline was investigating whether the woman's insurance company could be held liable for costs related to the unexpected landing, he said.

The woman was sent with her infant and four other children to a hospital in St. John's, while the flight continued to Chicago after a four-hour delay.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

QIguy24

RE: Baby Born On Flight To Chicago

Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:49 am

I'm glad to hear that everything with the baby went ok. But it pisses me of that she lied about it. So in my opinion she should have to pay for it herself. And no insurance should cover for that. And I doubt they will do that.

Boeing757/767

Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:12 am

I wonder if she lied just to have the baby born in the U.S.?

Regardless, now the baby is officially Canadian!
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

targowski

Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:28 am

is the baby canadian? the kid was born on an airplane before it landed, though likely in canadian airspace (but who knows, its st. johns, near canada's boundaries if i am not mistaken). most likely, it will be jordanian if her mother is jordanian.

trickijedi

Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:25 am

Hmmm... that's a good question regarding the baby's nationality. My guess is Canadian, if the baby was born in Canadian airspace.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

yyz717

Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:23 am

Sounds like she timed the birth to ensure citizenship in a Western nation. They should kick her ass back to Jordan. Oh yeah, and send her a bill for the diversion.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

cptGirmayTesfa

Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:31 am

Thank God for a beautiful healthy baby!

The baby would have the nationality of (one) of the parents, presumably Jordanian.
On board the plane, whether in another country airspace or above international waters, the law applies to which the aircraft is registered, in this case the Netherlands. However, the Dutch do not give citizenship to those born out of non-Dutch parents even when on its territory / planes.

QIguy24: who says that she lied?? Only a doctor will be able to tell.

ua777222

Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:48 am

CANADA!!!

Seeing how the baby is Canadian and the mother will most likely not allow them to go after her insurance the Can. gov. has the oh so funny thing called Free Health Insurance. I guess it's the baby's birth there for it's the things bill. Let Canada pay! In all seriousness shouldn't they?

Thanks

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

cylw

Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:28 pm

Well, our health care isn't completely free for most Canadians. My wife and I pay $75 a month for coverage. Not bad I guess. BTW, I think you must have to be a citizen to be eligible for universal healthcare. We'll probably end up footing the bill though. Well, the Newfies will that is.

ua777222

Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:35 pm

I have spoken to many Canadian Citizens and they have still not managed to get their health care system to me. That and the milk in a bag thing. I think KLM will end up footing the bill so they don't have to deal with court issues and whatnot. It couldn't have cost more than a divert or anything related.

UA777222

QIguy24

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:11 pm

CptGirmayTesfa

The woman told the airline she was only in the 27th week, Houben said.

cptGirmayTesfa

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:34 pm

It is possible to give birth in the 27th week. Premature obviously.

ua777222

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:43 pm

When you lie you can give birth at whatever week you want........

UA777222

mattbna

Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:16 pm

I'm curious about the _4 hour_ delay?!?! Good grief!

Matt

--
Canon EOS 7D & 40D -- 100-400mm L IS -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 28-135mm IS -- 10-22mm -- 18-55mm EF-S

QIguy24

Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:25 pm

My god. Did you read the article?  Big grin

"Even if she wasn't telling the truth, it's still a happy occurrence and a birth is a beautiful thing. But there's a question who will pay," Houben said

[Edited 2004-08-19 07:26:27]

StarCruiser

Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:50 pm

Mattbna said:

"I'm curious about the _4 hour_ delay?!?! Good grief!"

Matt

Yeah, all they had to do was dump her off and take off again unless the passengers all had to go through Canadian customs first.

If her action was a stunt in the hopes of giving birth in the USA she certainly played a dangerous game. Jordan is a decent country, after all. Why didn't she wait until she delivered and then travel? It was fortunate that there were three doctors on board, but what if there had been complications at birth? If she lied about how far along she was she should be liable for the cost of the diversion.

It will be interesting figuring out what nationality the baby will be. Is the father also Jordanian, and where was he? What kind of man would allow his wife to travel by herself with four little ones even at 27 weeks? No doubt our Canadian friends are asking some of these very questions, and so should KLM.

QIguy24

Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:00 pm

Starcruiser:

Yeah, all they had to do was dump her off and take off again unless the passengers all had to go through Canadian customs first.

Have you ever heard of SLOT times?  Big grin

StarCruiser

Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:51 pm

Qlguy24 said:

"Have you ever heard of SLOT times?"

The problem with the written word is that often humor is not readily discernible. I was merely agreeing that four hours seemed excessive.

I was onboard an SK flight CPH - JFK years ago which made a fuel emergency landing in YUL. Those Canadians were really friendly toward us foreigners from Denmark. Naturally, most onboard were Americans, but we played along.

QIguy24

Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:55 pm

Starcruiser,

Sorry about it then. I thought you were complaining about 4 hours delay an I jsut wanted to tell you one of the main reasons a flight can be delayed that much.

StarCruiser

Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:04 pm

Not a problem, Qlguy24! Hope to visit CPH again. Loved it the first time.

jcded

Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:47 pm

most likely the child would be Jordanian beacuse of ius sanguini, even though the mother was technically over canadian territory she was not legally in canada (past immigration) therefore ius soli would not apply. And the dutch (and most EU nations) do not recgonize ius soli as a path to citizenship. I had to do research into the issue to see if there were any problems in being french, canadian and american at the same time (father french, mother canadian and born in the USA).
You breathe to do good and have fun.

MEA-707

Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:54 pm

One of the issues might also that a Muslim woman (and her husband) which I presume she is, isn't as easy and open in discussing or even realising things like when conception and not having periods might have taken place as a western woman is. It can be a case of cultural communication differences, so don't judge too hard on her without knowing the full story.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

ChiGB1973

Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:14 pm

A baby was born about a month ago on an ATA flight LAX-HNL (I think). I haven't heard many details other than they were and hour and a half out from LA and returned with one more passenger. There were plenty of medical pros on board to help out.

M

yyz717

Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:39 pm

What kind of man would allow his wife to travel by herself with four little ones even at 27 weeks?

A man desperate to become an illegal immigrant in a Western nation, for which a Cdn or American born child will do the trick. There are millions of such men.

One of the issues might also that a Muslim woman (and her husband) which I presume she is, isn't as easy and open in discussing or even realising things like when conception and not having periods might have taken place as a western woman is.

She knew exactly what she was doing.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

FLAIRPORT

Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:42 pm

How is it that the doctors just happen to be on those flights specifically? Luck, I guess

The reason for the diversion to Canada:
"We need to take her to a hospital."
"A hospital? What is it?"
"It's a big building with lots of people in it, but that's not important right now!"
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

RedDragon

Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:27 pm

Sounds like she timed the birth to ensure citizenship in a Western nation. They should kick her ass back to Jordan. Oh yeah, and send her a bill for the diversion.

She "timed the birth to ensure citizenship"? What, so at 27 weeks she hops on a plane and somehow induces a birth? ("Push!! Push!!")

Now I've only read the snippet in the thread opener (the link only appeared to work for registered users of the Chicago Tribune) so don't have any background information, but I'm amazed at the number of people apparently jumping to conclusions about this woman. Does anyone have another story with more detail on this birth?

Rich  Smile

Starlionblue

Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:33 pm

There is a doctor (or more likely a medical student) aboard every flight with a medical emergency. It's pretty clear in the movies Big grin
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Fly2HMO

Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:17 am

As a side note: If a baby is born in a plane, the nationality of the baby will be the same as the flag that the plane carries. It's like if the airplane were a piece of Dutch territory. Therefore, the baby is Dutch. This also applies to boats/ships and embassies. So, the theory about her wanting to be of western nationality doesn't make sense to me, or she didn't pay attention to the plane's flag.

Just my $0.02  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

[Edited 2004-08-19 19:22:28]

zaphod

Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 am

EK had few births too. More recently in April when an Indonesian woman gave birth enroute to CGK. Apparantly, the crew did not believe her when she said she was going into labour because she did not look pregnant! Flight was diverted to HYD to take the mother and child to a hospital. No doctors on board in this case, 2 of the crew played mid-wife.
Another Indonesian woman also gave birth on board some time last year on EK. And she named her son Emirates!

ltbewr

Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:29 am

27 weeks is just about over 6 months, not an improbable time to have a premature birth. What was the weight of the baby here as it could suggest if the claimed time of pregency is true? If it was 3-4 lbs/1.6-2 kgs, then it was early. If it was 2 times those weights, then a full term baby. The most important thing is that the new child is healthy. Maybe the woman has relatives/family at her destination?

ghsweusa

Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:29 am

"Fly2HMO
As a side note: If a baby is born in a plane, the nationality of the baby will be the same as the flag that the plane carries. It's like if the airplane were a piece of Dutch territory. Therefore, the baby is Dutch. This also applies to boats/ships and embassies. So, the theory about her wanting to be of western nationality doesn't make sense to me, or she didn't pay attention to the plane's flag.

Just my $0.02" %A0
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fly2HMO
You don't consider the Netherlands to be a "western" nation?