sky0000547

Go Thru Transit...back On The Same Plane?

Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:48 pm

I am just a little curious how often does this happened??

I recently travelled on EK773 (A6-EMU) from MEL-SIN-DXB-LHR. After travelling for 15 hours from MEL-SIN-DXB as EK405, it was time to transit through DXB onto EK001 to LHR. After waiting 3 hours at the lovely Dubai airport, it was time to board my EK001 flight. It turned out that EK001 is the exact same plane that I came in on from MEL. Also I sat in the same seat that I had in the previous 15 hours. I also guess they unloaded my luggage at DXB and put it back on the same plane to LHR.

Has this happened to you before, you get off go through transit and go back on the same plane that you just got off??

Happy Flying  Smile

dtwclipper

RE: Go Thru Transit...back On The Same Plane?

Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:52 pm

Yes, a couple of times on Pan Am.

They had a flight that operated JFK-MUC-ZRH-JFK, with a change of flight number in Munich, also JFK-GIG-EZE with a change of flight numbers at GIG.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

daumueller

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:09 am

I had a DEN-ORD-FRA, also having the same seats on the same aircraft as I figured out later - I even saw them (re-) loading my bags but it's probably still more efficient than sorting the couple of "through" bags out at the origin.

cheers,

ben

KFly

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:25 am

I did MEL-SIN-FRA-JFK with SQ on the same aircraft and seat. The flight started as SQ228 in MEL, then changed to SQ26 while in transit at SIN, continues as SQ26 from FRA to JFK.

Spent about 26 hours flying on that plane (a good 31 hours journey including transits and delays), tired as hell when I arrived at JFK, but had a wonderful time getting there.

K
Yes, I love to have some warm nuts.

icarus75

Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:39 am

I've had a CDG - ORD - MIA, same aircraft, same seat. (UA B777)
Flying is amazing!

jtamu97

Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:16 am

It happened to me in 1997 while flying Air France from IAH-CDG-Nairobi. We were on a 767 from IAH to CDG then in transit to Nairobi. We were bussed out to the same plane we flew in on from Houston. I was very lucky as I had the same seat and my boarding pass from the previous flight was still there since I forgot it.

Later,
J
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

UALFAson

Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:18 am

In January I flew DL LGW-CVG-LAX and it turned out to be the same 763 the whole way with a different flight number. I think I moved forward one row.

There was actually a big snowstorm and the pilot on the CVG-LAX leg said the only reason that flight operated was because they gave preference to inbound international aircraft and many other flights were cancelled.

But funny to get off the plane, go all the way through customs, and wind up back at the exact same gate I started from.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

sq452

Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:25 am

Well I did it on SQ in NRT, you go through security and back out into the departure area, but the plane and flight # were the same.

HOWEVER,

I was doing BOS>ORD>CVG one time on United and the plane was an A320 or A319, two different flight numbes but when we pulled in at ORD to terminate our Boston flight, when i got into the terminal, i found out that my flight to Cincinnati was the exact same plane and gate, but different flight number! Kind of cool...not much of a walk!!!  Big thumbs up
SIN > CVG > BOS

yhmfan

Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:25 am

Alitalia B767 THR-MXP-JFK
Spend a couple of hours at MXP and got back on the same ac and the same seat. I know because it had the same dirty spot!!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

nwafflyer

Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:33 am

Happens pretty often -- different flight numbers, same plane. Just be glad, because if it's the same flight number, even though it is a different plane, and one is a short flight, you don't get full frequent flyer miles for the short segment. If it's same plane, different flight number, you get full frequent flyer mile credit

kl911

Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 am

Yep, My DUB/LHR/IAD/MIA flight was the same UA 777 from LHR to IAD as from IAD to MIA. Normally the flight would have continued to LAX I think, but this time it went to MIA. I didn't have the same seat ( I went from an upgrade F to C) but the reg was the same. ( They changed gates actually from International to the domestic terminal.) It was Dec 1998.

VS346

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:51 pm

Flew DL CDG-JFK-CVG all on the same 767-300 and same seat. Seat 31A I remember. Got off at JFK gate 8 and went through customs just to find out that I was returning to gate 8. That was fun. The pilot on the JFK-CVG leg said the plane was continuing on to MAN. Amazing how these airliners stay in the air 20 out of 24 hours in a day.

Cheers,
VS346
Virgin-Atlantic: More experience than our name suggests

CV990

Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:41 pm

Hi!

I had the same feeling ( and a little bit of frustration too... ) in March 1989 when I had a tour around USA with the good old TWA ( I'm getting quite nostalgic! ). I ended my tour in California before I flew back to LIS, so when I saw TWA schedule my flight from LAX to JFK would be in a L1011 and then from JFK to LIS it should be a 767-200ER. I was very excited to fly the 767 for the first time and when I landed at JFK it was already dark and soon we left the plane and waited in the TWA lounge for our connection, I was quite spaced looking around to see where was "my" 767 and I couldn't find it. Well I didn't panic because I knew ( sometimes I like to dream a lot... ) the 767 will come soon and we'll boarded to LIS. Well TWA anounced our flight to LIS and I couldn't believe that there was NO 767 flight and I was going to board THE SAME L1011!!!! Im almost wanted to argue with TWA saying that the flight to LIS should be on a 767 and they better get one right then but..... I had to behave myself and accept the fact that I would not fly a TWA 767 that day. 9 years latter I finnally did it, again in a LAX-JFK flight but this time with UA and it was the first airline 767 built, N601UA now ready to be scrapped somewhere in Arizona, but that's a different story right?
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

smcmac32msn

Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:52 am

Happened to me in June... not only same plane/seats... but also, same crew! Flew from ORD-SEA on AS, got off the plane, checked the board (40 minute lay-over), found it was the same gate and got back on and headed SEA-BOI.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

trickijedi

Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:10 pm

Yes, it's happened to me a couple of times. Sometimes they don't even clean the damn plane when I return!

I noticed that this is pretty common with European airlines flying to Asian countries with stop overs, ie. Air France, CDG-BKK-MNL.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

sllevin

Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:29 pm

I've had the same aircraft on BR, SFO-TPE "change plane" TPE-BKK before. They seemed to favor that...it's never happened to me elsewhere though.

Steve

9V-SPK

Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:44 pm

Did it a few times, once was on LAX - NRT - SIN on SQ but obviously that would be on the same plane.

The most recent one was in July, SQ220 SYD - SIN and then SIN - HKG on SQ2 (9V-SMP). Usually the flight continues on to Bangkok but on my flight it operated to HKG and then onto SFO! Didn't have much time to take a break I reckon!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos