jc2354

"The High And The Mighty" Update?

Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:25 am

I was wondering if anyone had updated information concerning the release of this movie.

Yes, I did a search. The only threads I could find were archived, and almost a year old, and could not post a response.

Any ideas as to why the Estate/Patrick Wayne would not allow this movie to be released? There was one posting where it was thought that the original copy had been lost.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,
Jack

If not now, then when?

dc8jet

RE: "The High And The Mighty" Update?

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:18 pm

You would think after all this time they would have released it by now. I can't think of any logical reason why they haven't unless they did in fact loose the master. I'm getting to the point where I might have to by one of those bootleg versions on ebay.

OPNLguy

Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:35 pm

According to the info at the following link, the original material is in less than great shape, and there's a disagreement between the Wayne family and the studio as to who should absorb the cost of restoration....

http://www.filmthreat.com/Features.asp?Id=824
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

highflier92660

Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:49 pm

I recall reading in one of our Southern California papers (i.e. Los Angeles Times, Orange County Register) that an agreement had been reached and that a digitally restored master was to be released in the near future. Evidently, the original was in poor shape but not beyond today's technology in film restoration.

One of the questions I have always had about the 1954 film--why did they use a Douglas DC-4, an airliner already obsolete at the time? Why didn't they put John Wayne in a Boeing 377 Stratocruiser or a Douglas DC-7?

OPNLguy

Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:02 am

>>>One of the questions I have always had about the 1954 film--why did they use a Douglas DC-4, an airliner already obsolete at the time? Why didn't they put John Wayne in a Boeing 377 Stratocruiser or a Douglas DC-7?

Just a guess, but on the chance that movie viewers might come away with a negative view of an aircraft (based on what happens in the movie), better that it be an obsolete aircraft than a newer type. Maybe the same reason that they used that goofy-looking DC-6/7 with aft-mounted jet engines in "Fate Is The Hunter?

Glad to hear that maybe the movie issue has been resolved and that we'll see it available sometime...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

dc8jet

Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:10 am

Let us hope that the info provided by Highflier92660 is true and that we will have this excellent aviation movie available soon.

The aircraft used in the was a C-54 leased from supplimental carrier Transocean. At that time the DC-7s and B377s were front line aircraft being used by the major carriers. It's possible that they had no spare aircraft available to use in the movie. I also heard that the repainting that had to be done on the C-54 was very minimal.

Olympus69

Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:10 am

One of the questions I have always had about the 1954 film--why did they use a Douglas DC-4, an airliner already obsolete at the time?

Probably because they wanted to feature all the plane's passengers; a bigger plane would have looked too empty.

There was an airline movie topic about 3 months ago that had a couple of posts about this film. One post stated that the movie was going to be released on it's 50th. anniversary in July. Obviously it didn't happen.

DC3CV3407AC727

Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:12 am

also the airplane in the book though never mentioned was a DC-4, an airplane that Ernie Gann captained, for Matson, and an airplane with which he had personally experienced a similar problem,not the same exact problem,but similar.
the rumble of round engines is like music to me,likewise the thunder of thr JT8D

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos