ronerone

MH: DXB - EWR Route

Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:12 pm

To most of you, i am a new member here.

I have been a reader of these posts for a while now, and i must say that being an aviation student, i learn most of my valuable information from all of you (with great thanks!).

Now that i am able to post threads here, i would like to raise a query, and if, for any reason my information is wrong, please excuse my lack of knowledge, and i highly welcome any criticism (i.e. correct me if im wrong!).

I still don't see why MH plans to discontinue its DXB - EWR route and go through stockholm instead.

I do realise that Stockholm may be a better opportunity than stopping over Dubai, but still ..

I have flown both MH and EK on the Dubai - New York route, and found the number of passengers getting off at Dubai to be quite the same and very small! .. most passengers were either continuing to KUL in MH's case, or transitting to other stations (mostly India and nearby cities) in EK's case.

For MH, more than three quarters of the revenue (from what i think) from this flight is from passengers flying to and from KUL, and not Dubai .. so why is it going to discontinue the service? (i am SO against it)

Doesn't Biman still stop over in DXB on its way to JFK?

It is the same as with the case when RJ used to stop in AMS (or VIE) on its way to JFK .. they were mainly transit stops that HAD to be made. KLM had the predominant market share on the AMS-JFK route but RJ still stopped there.

I just think that the MH product, compared with the EK product on this route is a MILLION times better, and i am a huge supporter of MH and i still think they should keep this route.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Roni

Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

JBLUA320

RE: MH: DXB - EWR Route

Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:36 pm

I can only answer one of your questions, and I dont think its the answer you want, but....

Biman flies, I'm fairly sure, JFK-BRU-DAK

JBLU

ronerone

Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:02 pm

I am aware that Biman flies (or used to fly) JFK - BRU - DXB - DAK

Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

changyou

Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:30 pm

As I've mentioned earlier in one of the topic...MH cancelled this route because USA only allow 1 airline to fly DXB-EWR/JFK. Of course EK being the airline from DXB has the priority over MH. Therefore MH has to re route their transit station. This information is from MH employees.

swissgabe

Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:47 pm

Biman flies a twice weekly DAC-DXB-BRU-JFK / JFK-BRU-DAC operated with DC10 equipment.

so you don't get a DXB-JFK vv. with Biman Bangladesh. And BG operates out of Dhaka, not Dakhla Oasis (where ever that is) ...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Deltaflot

Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:22 pm

I will miss this airline/route combination as well. The times I flew on this route it was nearly always full and from my experience and what the F/A's told me, about half of the pax stop at DXB and do not continue to KUL. This flight was really popular with American business people and Canadian expats. The service of MH and the convenience of this flight was superb. I had hoped that when EK started the route to JFK that fares would go down substantially since there would be competition but not so. EK fares seem quite high. The average MH fare I paid for EWR-DXB-EWR was about $650 USD which was extremely reasonable in my book. This route will surely be missed. At least if I ever plan to go to Sweden, I know which airline I'll be taking.

Chris

MAS777

Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:09 pm

Don't forget - for many of us residing here in Europe - We have been waiting for many many years to fly MH across the pond - and soon we will be able to with excellent flight timings at ARN for easy connections to be made to many parts of Europe.

swissgabe

Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:12 pm

Maybe it isn't worth competing against EK on one of it's route affecting not a home sector of MAS. Don't forget, that you now can fly daily DXB-JFK nonstop and I doubt MH could have survived on this sector against EK.

[Edited 2004-08-24 15:12:56]
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos