SafetyDude
Topic Author

Dennis Miller Making Safety Announcements

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:04 pm

At first this seemed like another make-safety-announcements-funny, but this one was quite interesting:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04237/366467.stm

I think that Indy might have gone a bit too far in certain parts of their announcement.

"The airline said it decided to call on Miller and the others in response to a Federal Aviation Administration directive to make safety information briefings to passengers as interesting as possible."
Has anyone else heard of this FAA directive?

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Logan22L

RE: Dennis Miller Making Safety Announcements

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:51 pm

Hey SafetyDude: Haven't heard/couldn't find anything on this FAA Directive, but you have to wonder how much it may have cost Indy to put together these announcements. I mean, it's not like people will choose them just because of who is presenting the safety briefings. How does a low-fare airline justify spending in this area? Or, is it just a drop in the bucket?

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

moose1226

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:02 am

I've heard the Mia Hamm and Carville/Matalin ones, and they both get the point across just fine. I don't think that the humor is getting in the way of the safety information.

jaysit

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:05 am

Except that Miller isn't humorous and hasn't been since he left SNL.

Atheism is Myth Understood.

SafetyDude
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:07 am

but you have to wonder how much it may have cost Indy to put together these announcements. I mean, it's not like people will choose them just because of who is presenting the safety briefings. How does a low-fare airline justify spending in this area? Or, is it just a drop in the bucket?

My guess is that it costs the airlines very little. Yes, people will not pick an airline based on safety announcements, but overall things (such as safety announcements and hot towels) could leave a good impression on its passengers. Think about how relatively little PTVs cost B6, and then the huge result it has on their image.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

ua777222

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:15 am

I think that many many people who are taking these flights are working and fly all the time. Myself and many if not all the members here are frequent flyers and during the safety check I know at least half of us are reading our Plane and Pilot or Airways mag's instead of paying attention. Now though we all know what they say and what to do due to the many times we've heard it before you can never stress safety so I think this is a great thing for the passengers and would most definitely pay attention during these announcements.

Funny.

Thanks again.

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

tcttx

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:42 am

The Independence Air celebrity announcements are on their website.

http://www.flyi.com/announcements/

col

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:00 am

VS use an English Comedian and cartoon for their safety demos. The guy breaking all the rules actually looks like SRB, but it is quite funny and keeps your attention.

Well done Indy.