worldoftui

Renaming Airports, Inc. Teesside?

Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:52 am

They are renaming Teesside Airport? Why?

I read an article in a trade paper that stated that they were changing the name from Teesside to, get this, Durham-Tees Valley. Mmm - catchy. Anyone else hear this?

Is this a British phenomenon or is it happening everywhere?

What is going on? First the airlines change their names, and now the airports?

10 years time and I can see it - cities renaming. New York becomes Chittingfold - on - Sea!  Big grin

(Please feel free to delete this topic and call me crap if it has been on here - multipe searches turned up nothing. Can't believe I am the first to hear this.)

Mark

whitehatter

RE: Renaming Airports, Inc. Teesside?

Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:58 am

They are renaming Teesside Airport? Why?

Same reason EMA got renamed. There isn't a city called Teesside or East Midlands. Foreign passengers find it confusing as there isn't any city as a point of reference to where the flight operates to.

Robin Hood is still a silly name for Finningley. As Peel Holdings own it they would have been better calling it Robbing B*&!ards
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

FlyCaledonian

Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:24 am

At severe risk of being flamed, I thought Ryanair had been up to this trick for a few years, picking an airfield in the middle of nowhere and then naming it after a city within a hundred mile radius.  Acting devilish
Let's Go British Caledonian!

Gary2880

Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:34 am

aberdeen airport is binameal (just call me dr johnson) Dyce and Aberdeen, dyce for people that live here more i guess, not like we get much forign stuff for people to get confused with *sobs* i would be happy with emirates!! sorry, moaning about the lack of stuff at dyce again..
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

sevenair

Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:45 am

but Durham is closer to NCL thea it is to MME!

highpeaklad

Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:11 am

Yes , but Teesside Airport is in County Durham and is closest to Darlington , the largest town in County Durham.
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

babybus

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:36 am

They might as well call it Middlesbrough Airport as most of the pax, I think, are going to the ICI chemical plant in Billingham. Most people have heard of Middlesbrough due to the football team, but I doubt any foreign passengers have heard of Darlington. To pretend it is near Durham is pushing it a bit. Calling it Tees Valley is trying to be romantic when there isn't a valley, so to speak, around.

When all else fails and you can't think of anything else to do with a company...change its name. It looks like you've done something with it.

Cheers

and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

gkirk

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:49 am

MME will always live in the shadow of NCL.
Likewise, EMA will stay in the shadow of BHX and LBA will be in the shadow of MAN
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

alcregular

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:56 am

They decided to change the name of MME about 7 or 8 months ago. They think it would attract more visitors to the ares. When they see the name, they are going to say 'where?'
Why drive when you can fly?