pilottim

King Air Makes Emergency Landing At PDK

Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:46 am

Looks like a gear failure from the picture. No injuries.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=50972

wingnutmn

RE: King Air Makes Emergency Landing At PDK

Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:13 am

Thats a pretty impressive single-engined King Air. If I'm not mistaken, it has 2 bent props (which would indicate 2 engines). I love the media!!!!!

WingnutMN
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

RareBear

Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:55 am

Also notice the statement that the plane came to rest on foam applied by firefighters. The spray pattern clearly shows the foam was applied after the plane stopped. Sometimes the news media really gets my goat.
Illegitimus non carborundum

Logan22L

Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:39 am

RareBear: No kidding - and what are the odds that a plane would come to rest in the middle of an approximate 30-foot "square" patch of foam during an emergency landing? I'm sure somewhere the media is describing it as a Jumbo Jet. Glad to hear that everyone is OK, though.

Logan
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

AZjetgeek

Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:50 am

I also noticed this obvious error and actually emailed the station about this. As a former editor of a newspaper, I am always appalled at the inability of the media to see and state the obvious.

BTW, not all media are as blatantly stupid as whoever wrote this article for the Atlanta NBC affiliate. But, there sure seems to be a lot of knuckleheads working in journalism.
Long live the RJ!

StearmanNut

Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:15 am

I'm surprised the newswriter did not say the King Air was a "Piper Cub or Cessna" that "nose dived" onto the runway. I'm still snorting over the "single engine" comment.
If wishes were horses, a Tail Dragger I would fly...