airfrnt

DEN Makes Overseas Pitch To UA

Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:56 am

Denver International Airport is making its most aggressive pitch in several years to try to persuade United Airlines to launch trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific flights from DIA.

Airport officials hope to capitalize on several recent developments, including an increase in United's passenger demand on international flights, the carrier's desire to add overseas routes and flight-capacity problems at United's Chicago hub.

More here:
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/business/article/0,1299,DRMN_4_3132697,00.html

DEN is certainly in a position to benefit if UA cuts ORD international traffic, esp given that several of the 777s out of ORD actually start in DEN. However, I still imagine that most of the traffic getting cut is RJs and low yield flights, not international travels. Still I think it is highly likely that a non stop will start to NRT soon (because of ANA's presence). LH does quite well on there Franfurt-DEN run but I doubt that they will be willing to start a Munich flight as well (although maybe UA will).

BA already has strong bookings to LHR, but I doubt that UA will be willing to fly into LGW out of DEN even if it has the nice side effect of kicking BA to LGW.

DfwRevolution

RE: DEN Makes Overseas Pitch To UA

Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:58 am

DEN is certainly in a position to benefit if UA cuts ORD international traffic, esp given that several of the 777s out of ORD actually start in DEN.

They are also in a much better position if UA were to not liquidate.. I think DEN should allow UA restructure before pressuring for new routes  Big grin

ssides

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:19 am

Amen, DfwRevolution. UA needs to worry about survival, not placating Denver's quest for prestige.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

gigneil

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:23 am

This is no surprise. DEN would kill anyone you asked to serve LHR from DEN, and they were going to serve it as a US Airways route to LGW during the merger.

N

jmy007

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:30 am

Gigneil,

Not following your post there. BA serves DEN from LHR.

Please explain  Smile
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

VSlover

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:37 am

this reminds me: didnt BA serve LGW at first? I seem to recall my sister coming to see me in London, but having to go get her at LGW...

DfwRevolution

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:39 am

This is no surprise. DEN would kill anyone you asked to serve LHR from DEN, and they were going to serve it as a US Airways route to LGW during the merger.

I think every city in North America not included in Bermuda II would do likewise. However, is there any way DEN can overcome this agreement?

gigneil

Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:45 am

Yeah, sorry, my post made no sense.

I meant to say UA would kill anyone you asked to serve DEN-LHR.

N

airfrnt

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:06 am

VSLover -> Yes. One of the rules in Bermuda II is that any of the British Flag carriers can fly to/from a particular city on the list if it is unchallanged by any other carrier. So if UA were to start denver to london service, both carriers would have to fly out of LGW instead of LHR.

burnsie28

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:15 am

Rumors were circulating of NW starting AMS-DEN

burnsie28

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:18 am

Rumors were circulating of NW starting AMS-DEN

747firstclass

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:32 am

Is there even an opening under Bermuda II where it would be possible for UA to start DEN-LGW service? If US was so inclined. It would be interesting to see what BAs reraction would be if UA did start or even talk about that service.

UnitedTristar

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:51 am

Under Bermuda II you cannot service two different London airports from the same city. So if UA was to start DEN LON service it would have to be to LHR. I would expect to see DEN NRT service before you would see anything to Europe. From what I can tell from UA's new service announcements Asia is doing better for them. But I am sure UA is waiting for subsidy's like BA and LH got before starting service. They already have some subsidized routed from DEN such as the 757 from EGE.

-m

Big thumbs up

Flaps

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:57 am

DEN could potentially get the authority by way of the soon to be dormant PIT-LGW route. That is exactly how TWA got the designation for STL. They had authority from PIT and when TW dismantled the PIT hub they transferred their authority from PIT to STL. Its not quite so simple here as US is the designated carrier from PIT but it could be sold if US doesnt plan to transfer it within their system.

I could be wrong in this case though. That is how things worked in the early eighties and also when TW's PHL and BWI authorities were sold. PIT was granted the designation as an exception/bone as the US and UK were attempting to revise the treaty to eventually encompass open skies. What the exact terms of that exemption are/were I cannot recall.

cedarjet

Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:03 am

Gigneil, you seem to have merely repeated yourself rather than clarified. I for one am still none the wiser.

I think UA would do well at Denver, for connections throughout the west. It would mean less onward-bound connecting pax on their San Fran / LA flights, which would leave more room on those services for more lucrative O&D pax.

As a fan of Stephen King and especially The Stand, I've always wanted to visit Colorado (especially for Boulder). I've heard that Denver is one of the nicest cities in the US as well, but in my dozens of trips across the pond, I've never been there.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

hisham

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:07 am

My understanding is that if UA decides to start DEN-LON then BA would be forced to switch back to DEN-LGW (according to bermuda II).

Hisham.

gigneil

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:14 am

Gigneil, you seem to have merely repeated yourself rather than clarified. I for one am still none the wiser.

Sigh.

UA would really like to serve DEN-LHR.

Is there even an opening under Bermuda II where it would be possible for UA to start DEN-LGW service? If US was so inclined.

US already has a station at LGW. It would have been trivial to add DEN as a destination from LGW, whereas UA would need a brand new station for one route.

N

Flaps

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:20 am

UA and US are both Star members. UA would not need to add a station as they could easily be handled by US. The bigger trick would be US' survival in the first place.

ua2162

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:31 am

As stated above by many, DEN-NRT will be their best bet. There are already too many flights into LHR from west coast cities. UA's strength lies within the Pacific - they should keep it that way. I really don't know if there would be enough traffic to fill a daily into LHR. Just a thought.

Carpethead

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:14 pm

DIA has a 16,000 ft runway, but can a UA 777 make it to NRT without payload restrictions.
The FRA & London flights are east-bound and have the luxury of tail-winds, but not the NRT-bound flight, which is longer too.

gigneil

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:15 pm

DIA has a 16,000 ft runway, but can a UA 777 make it to NRT without payload restrictions.

No problem.

N

Aaron747

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:18 pm

Such a route is no problem for a 777 - Delta serves NRT from ATL and AA from DFW, just for an example.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ordflyer

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:24 pm

"I still imagine that most of the traffic getting cut is RJs and low yield flights, not international travels"
That looks to be the case...I wouldn't hold my breath if I were DEN hoping to get cut int'l flights from ORD. United has already said that the actual number of flights cut is only going to be maybe 4 or 6, and you can bet those will be low yield as Airfrnt mentioned.

ssides

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:25 pm

DEN's problem for Pacific flights is that it's too close to the West Coast. SFO and LAX already generate tons of Pacific traffic; DEN is a relatively small market compared to these when it comes to international travel. UA will just feed passengers to these airports rather than send them through DEN.

N1120A

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:25 pm

The 16,000 Foot runway was built so DEN-NRT could be done non-stop with a 777
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

StevenUhl777

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:52 pm

Is it just me, or were the operators of DEN in a bitter fight with UA over gate leases and the F9/TED gate expansion issue? And now...all of a sudden DEN is cozying up to UAL, begging them for international service? I smell something....and it's not pleasant.

We've heard all this before...I don't know this for sure, but I'd bet one of the reasons used to justify the construction of DIA was the expectation of UA operating an extensive international flight schedule from DEN. Well, apart from Canada and Mexico and a brief DEN-FRA run...UA has largely ignored DEN in this regard, and I expect the status quo to prevail.

The only thing I could see that would change this would be:
a.) UA surprisingly cut LAX and moved flights to DEN.
b.) Bermuda II was modified or an open skies agreement reached, allowing DEN-LHR.

Bottom line...I'm not holding my breath for any new intercontinental flights out of DEN from UA. ANA will start a DEN-NRT flight before UA does.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

texdravid

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:02 pm

DEN needs to get in line behind DFW in ANY discussion about increasing international traffic. I think DEN is appropriately well served, considering its metropolitan area, while DFW is grossly underserved, considering it is the nation's 7th largest metro area by population.

So DEN, enjoy your LH 744 service to Frankfurt and your LHR service. We at DFW don't have a 744 service by any airline and we don't have LHR service. So you guys have something that a lot of people don't have.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

blhp68

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:06 pm

I actually spent an hour with the global air service coordinator a week ago. It was a very relaxed meeting, however some good information was mentioned. DEN Officials are awaiting on word for a Denver-Munich flight on LH. The loads for the FRA flight do very well , and the BA flights to LHR consistently hover above 70% load factor. You have to remember the BA flight does not depend on any connecting traffic, so it is mainly O&D passengers. The LH flights do rely on connecting UA traffic. The primary focus at DEN is int'l service obviously. Officials are focusing on the far East as well as South America and Central America. Costa Rica was mentioned, as well as Tokyo and Beijing, etc. She also mentioned that they pass a lot of info on to UA, but that UA doesn't really pay much attention to it. You have to remember the only int'l service via UA is to Canada and Mexico (CUN I believe?). So before the far East I would look for one more destination to Europe not on UA though.

ConcordeBoy

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:13 pm

Under Bermuda II you cannot service two different London airports from the same city.

I'm sure Detroit, Philadelphia, Newark, etc would be quite interested to know that  Big grin

So if UA was to start DEN LON service it would have to be to LHR

sorry bub, you've got it completely backwards
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

ual777contrail

Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:08 pm

CONCORDEBOY,

So if UA was to start DEN LON service it would have to be to LHR

sorry bub, you've got it completely backwards.

Explain to us why UAL would spend the time and effort to fly DEN-LGW?

They would have a fight with BA in DEN and the outcome wouldnt please the Brits.
UAL will serve DEN-LHR before they serve DEN-LGW.
Just my opinion

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

ordpark

Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:24 pm

United is not about to shift any ORD/Intl trips to DEN....The ORD intl schedule continues to grow.

unitedkatw

Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:55 pm

I'm all for routes out of DEN via UA . I'd rather catch a flight from MKE or MSN to DEN to catch a flight than to route through the ORD mess.

FLY777UAL

Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:14 pm

Ual777Contrail--

While I agree that UA will serve LHR before they serve LGW, I have a much firmer grasp on the fact that under the current bilateral agreement, United will never serve London as a whole from Denver.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

stirling

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:30 pm

I gotta side with Texdravid on this one.

The Fortune 500 has a large base of operations in the DFW Metroplex, much more so than DEN. I can't think of one market that has more potential for enhanced European airline service than DFW.

I'm not trying to bash DEN, it's a fine city with a fine airport, I only think DFW would provide airlines flying internationally more high-yield O&D business type travelers.
The case for DEN-Europe would then have to rely on connection traffic, from the West coast.....which is already serving the European market. The Far East is the same way. Most East coast markets already have strong Asian hubs, DTW comes to mind here, and with it, UA's primary competitor to the Far East.

The airline most likely to initiate international services out of DEN would be UA, and right now, most would say they have bigger fish to fry.

DEN can woo UA all it wants, that's it's job, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. They should stick to talking to foreign carriers, and the big boys are already in place at DEN.

The reality remains, the US airline industry still needs contraction. There are still way too many seats in the marketplace being provided by US carriers.
Delete this User

UnitedTristar

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:55 pm

Under Bermuda II you cannot service two different London airports from the same city.

I'm sure Detroit, Philadelphia, Newark, etc would be quite interested to know that

ConcordeBoy,

I was referring to the fact that if one Bermuda II carrier serviced LON from a US city that any other Bermuda II carriers who service LON from that city would have to serve the same airport. Hence why you see UA VS BA and AA all serving LHR from NYC and carriers not in Bermuda II such as CO are forced to serve LGW. At least that's how I interpreted the Bermuda II agreement.

-m

Big thumbs up

pilatusguy

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:00 pm

What if UA would start a DEN-VIE flight to serve eastern europe bound pax connecting through the VIE Star Alliance hub?

Would there be a market?

bartond

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:01 pm

As much as I'd love to talk about DFW and our prospects for int'l. service, let's continue with DEN. What, if anything, happened to the supposed consideration of bringing AF CDG-DEN service into play? I heard someone (Concky) mention that AF was considering DET, DEN, or SEA for its next US destination. Not sure how far these talks have gone or if DEN is even under consideration anymore, but it's an interesting idea. It would be an O&D flight, correct, or does UA have any agreements with AF?

UnitedTristar

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:15 pm

Well UA could benefit from any carrier servicing DEN it would just be a matter of that carrier publishing fares that allow UA as part of the routing. UA has ticketing and revenue agreements with almost all major carriers. In other words if AF decided to start service to DEN they could sell some seats from BEY to ELP with a routing of BEY AF CDG AF DEN UA ELP however with the advent of code sharing this has become less common except on higher published fares due to the fact that they could route BEY AF CDG AF DFW AF ELP because DL probably flys between DFW and ELP with an AF code tagged on to their flight. So UA could benefit from any carrier servicing DEN but its best if it is a code share partner. I hope that helps Bartond!

-m

Big thumbs up

[Edited 2004-08-25 16:17:57]

aa777jr

Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:01 am

Last time I checked UA was flying out of DEN. People in this forum talk like here is no UA presence at DEN. What is wrong with continuing or upgrading their service out of SFO or LAX instead of congesting DEN with more International flights? Maybe have a few more flights to Pacific out of DEN. Perhaps HKG or NRT. UA does very well out of SFO though in the Pacific. Flew to SYD with UA outta SFO. Loved it.

AA777jr

[Edited 2004-08-25 18:03:32]

[Edited 2004-08-25 18:04:31]
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

MAH4546

Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:11 am

What if UA would start a DEN-VIE flight to serve eastern europe bound pax connecting through the VIE Star Alliance hub?

Would there be a market?

There is no market at all for that flight.
a.

UA744KSFO

Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:34 am

"DEN needs to get in line behind DFW in ANY discussion about increasing international traffic. I think DEN is appropriately well served, considering its metropolitan area, while DFW is grossly underserved, considering it is the nation's 7th largest metro area by population."

One of the reasons why DFW and DEN don't have much international service is because of their location. In the era of alliances, most airlines think of it as being easier to route passengers from the central US to a coast and then across an ocean. That is why Denver, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix are so underserved when it comes to international routes to Europe and Asia.

airzim

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:03 am

I was referring to the fact that if one Bermuda II carrier serviced LON from a US city that any other Bermuda II carriers who service LON from that city would have to serve the same airport. Hence why you see UA VS BA and AA all serving LHR from NYC and carriers not in Bermuda II such as CO are forced to serve LGW. At least that's how I interpreted the Bermuda II agreement.

Not exactly, there are specifically designated airports of which DEN is included that are not allowed to be served by LHR, unless there is no direct competition. So is DFW, IAH etc. So if UA, or any carrier for that matter, would start DEN-LON service, BA would be forced to fly from LGW as would the other carrier. Since UA has no presence at LGW currently, I doubt they would ever serve that market, hence giving it to BA.

ssides

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:08 am

That is why Denver, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix are so underserved when it comes to international routes to Europe and Asia.

I wouldn't say IAH is underserved. They've got AF, KLM, LH, and BA to complement CO flights to LGW, CDG, and AMS. There is a slight lack of service to Asia, I guess, but CO still operates IAH-NRT, which provides several connecting opportunities.

jmy007

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:36 am

Aa777jr said

"Last time I checked UA was flying out of DEN. People in this forum talk like here is no UA presence at DEN. What is wrong with continuing or upgrading their service out of SFO or LAX instead of congesting DEN with more International flights? Maybe have a few more flights to Pacific out of DEN. Perhaps HKG or NRT. UA does very well out of SFO though in the Pacific. Flew to SYD with UA outta SFO. Loved it. "

I agree with half the statement. UA has a large presence at DIA, but not one flight out of the North American continent. DEN has more flights to more place than LAX or SFO, so it would make for a great place to connect to Japan etc. rather than LAX or SFO.
IHMO

jmy007

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:39 am

Also not to go off topic, But DFW is not underserved internationally at all. It just most of the flights are on AA! (Asia,Europe,Latin America,Canada,Caribbean)

Far more international service than Denver. (Europe,Canada,Mexico)

[Edited 2004-08-25 20:40:14]

UA772IAD

Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:00 am

Ual777contrail:
I agree-- I personally don't see UA flying into LGW at anytime soon (Have they ever?) Currently, UA is huge at LHR, with one of the top number of landings/take-off slots among any of the airlines there. LHR is one of

UA's "International hubs" (As is FRA, NRT)- why would they bother opening up operations at LGW when they have sig. operations a few miles away... it would be an operations and customer service nightmare.
Although it would be easier for UA passengers to bypass the ORD mess... is their a market for international travel out of DEN?
Denver's economy is as follows (from google):
Telecommunications, technology and tourism are large drivers of
Denver’s economy. Government (federal, state and local) is Metro
Denver’s largest source of employment, followed by retail. The
largest private employer is Wal-Mart Inc. with 21,600 employees in
2003, followed by King Soopers Inc. Retail Grocery Stores with 15,405
employees and Qwest Communications with 13,200 employees.
With this kind of economy, strong, yet not well known, it would make sence that DIA (specifically UA) does not cater to a huge INTERNATIONAL market but more so to a DOMESTIC market. I also feel that this is true for UA at LAX... it's a good Domestic hub, but not as strong as SFO's (in UA's case). Although UA would get more flights in, I don't see them benefiting from making DEN an Intl' hub-- but keeping it large domestic hub and feeding intl' connections to IAD, ORD, SFO.
UA does have a direct to HNL though--- so its sort of international

jmy007

Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:23 am

UA772IAD-

Please also remember, DIA is the largest airport in the state, and it serves not only Denver, but the Front Range, from Cheyenne to Fort Collins, Loveland, Boulder, Eastern Plains most mountain communities. This is a large O+D base.

DIA is not looking for UA to set up an International hub of operations, rather a couple of flights to major international destinations, such as NRT or LHR or CDG.

International flights could well serve the entire state of Colorado, And bordering states.

DIA

Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:59 am

"DEN needs to get in line behind DFW in ANY discussion about increasing international traffic."

Are you kidding me?! That's a liberal statement if there ever was one. What if cities actually did what you are proposing!?

Example:

-"Well, hello there Denver! Remember me, DFW?"

-"Hello DFW, haven't seen or heard a peep out of you for awhile now."

-"Well, things have kinda slowed down here, Delta's situation and all. . .but hey, uh, listen up. I just want you to know that I'm going to be trying to obtain some international nonstop flights now to Europe and Asia. . .so I don't want any fuss. Besides, my metropolitan population is larger than yours. . .so you need to get behind me in line now, okay?"

-"Sure! You bet! Let me just pack up my marketing tools and get the hell out of your way! Oh, by the way DFW, don't forget to bring your pacifier." Insane

-"Thanks for reminding me, I'm such a baby as you know."

-"No problem. By the way, isn't this America? Can't I try to conduct fair business if I am able to, without having to get behind you in line?"

-"Well, yes. But it just wouldn't be fair. I'm such a hoarder of domestic flights, I just feel that I should have the natural right to obtain more int'l flights before you do. No hard feelings, it's just fair that way."

-"Shove off DFW, tend to your own affairs, and don't come around here trying to throw your weight around anymore - I might just pin you to the mat this time. . .you've had your large airport and possibilities - long before I got mine."

Disclaimer: I have no ill-will towards DFW. I fly through DFW on A^A all the time. Love those powerbacking MD-80 flights!

Interesting comments overall.

Just a few of my own here:

1. If Denver can get more international flights; more power too them. Bottom line, it's just business. . .fair or not fair. . .wooing or not wooing. . .that's life. Heck, DFW's got all those south of the border flights just like Houston. . .but Denver isn't crying about them. . .Denver is forging ahead and working on getting some themselves. F9 has filled in a lot of these international flights already and is looking at other int'l cities now.

2. I think Denver will see nonstop Asian service over the next few years. What a/c and what airline, who knows, but there are plenty of people and companies working at it.

3. Bottom line, Denver is going to take what it can get - what airport/city wouldn't?
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

airfrnt

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:31 am

All of the people complaining that DEN is looking at service that DFW doesn't yet have are missing a few things. One is that UA and F9 both hub in Denver. Another is that there is very little connecting traffic via DFW from Denver. The markets do not overlap all that much. In DEN if you want to head to LHR you typically will go thru ORD or SFO.

Therefore it's not a matter of either-or, it's a matter of the route network for that particular network. (Which is also why I don't buy the idea of NW starting a DEN-AMS route. They have no feed at all into DEN, and while O&D can sustain BA's 772's to LHR, I highly doubt that Denver will drive traffic enough to AMS without a star alliance hookup)

OTOH, DEN also has tourist markets that DFW does not. Also, there are no major competitors for DEN anywhere in a 500 mile radius. Also, it is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the US, which is why it has always been competed over as a hub.

Also I was under the impression that there was a fair amount of AA or DL international at DFW?

usatoeze

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:32 am

Cedarjet:

Denver is beautiful, and Boulder will bring parts of The Stand to life. They are well worth a trip just to see them. If you are a big fan of the book, you should also think about making the I-70 drive to Utah, and then the I-15 to Las Vegas just as was done in the book....plus a visit to Vegas never hurts.
War is a very poor political tool