MoneyShot
Topic Author

3 Digit Icao Codes

Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:28 pm

Who uses the 3 letter ICAO codes? My Apollo teacher told us that they were not used by travel consultants, they only use the 2 letter IATA codes. Thanks

Goldenshield

RE: 3 Digit Icao Codes

Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:30 pm

Airlines use IATA codes for reservations, routings, and cargo, among other things. The only thing really necessary for ICAO codes is flight planning/tracking.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

modesto2

Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:43 pm

I've seen the 3-letter ICAO airline codes used my manufacturer service bulletins to list effectivity of their announcements.

SafetyDude

Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:19 pm

I usually use the two-digit airline code, but sometimes the three-digit airline code makes more sense, such as in KLM, NWA, UAL.

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

PHLapproach

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:02 am

Wait...The question doesn't state if you are talking about 2 letter IATA Airline Codes - WN, UA or FL or 3 letter ICAO codes - SWA, UAL, TRS or 3 letter IATA airport codes - LHR, FCO, PHL or 4 letter ICAO codes EGLL, LIRF, KPHL?

The 3 letter ICAO airline codes are used for Fligh Plans, Flight Stips and are displayed on Radar Screens. Airlines use 3 letter IATA airport codes as said above.

SafetyDude

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:08 am

Wait...The question doesn't state if you are talking about 2 letter IATA Airline Codes - WN, UA or FL or 3 letter ICAO codes - SWA, UAL, TRS or 3 letter IATA airport codes - LHR, FCO, PHL or 4 letter ICAO codes EGLL, LIRF, KPHL?

"My Apollo teacher told us that they were not used by travel consultants, they only use the 2 letter IATA codes."
Since airlines have two-letter codes - airports do not - he was talking about airline codes.

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

pilottim747

Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:26 am

Air Traffic Controllers use the 3 letter codes, the largest user in my mind. When an aircraft pops up on the radar screen it'll show NWA232 for Northwest Airlines flight 232.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos