Jetblue15
Topic Author

Last Airline To Have Smoking?

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:50 pm

Could you guys please tell me the last US and last world airline to have smoking onboard there flight?

Thanks in advance.
Jetblue15
racecar spelled backwards spells racecar

SafetyDude

RE: Last Airline To Have Smoking?

Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:56 pm

last world airline to have smoking onboard there flight?
I believe that quite a few carriers still allow smoking on board. I am not sure if JAL still does allow it on its long-haul flights, but about five years ago they did allow smoking - only in the rear, though.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Jetblue15
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:01 am

What carriers would still allow smoking??? Seems really dangerous to me that any carrier would still allow smoking aboard. From European, US to Third world countries. Thank you though Safety for getting back to me.

hz747300

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:04 am

I imagine that there a few airlines that allow smoking still that fly regionally in Africa and Asia.

I think any airline flight to Europe or to the US/Canada has to be non-smoking now. After the shoe-bomber that will never change.

Just a few years ago there was a story brewing because Aeroflot allowed flights on their flights to the US which violates US law. When the US was going to enforce it, Russia said that they would enforce the law that states any airline flying to Russia has to have Russian speaking crew.

Thanks to the attempted shoe bomber we'll never see smoking on planes again.
Keep on truckin'...

blink182

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:07 am

A couple of years ago I remember looking at a Saudi Arabian seatmap for their 747s and I remember distinctly seeing smoking sections. My best guess is that this is still allowed unless things have changed.

Are most intra-China flights nonsmoking?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Jetblue15
Topic Author

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:19 am

EL AL i'm pretty sure doesn't anymore but I bet your right about the Inter African flights still having it. You would think after the shoe bomber deal everyone would put a no smoking policy in.

Related to the same topic, how stupid is it to even have smoking on board a flight. I mean not only is it dangerous, but health reasons and others that don't smoke suffer greatly. Especially on those long haul flight. I remember some of them. El AL would have only the back two rows for smoking but theres nothing to seperate the smokers and non. All of this is coming from a smoking by the way so I'm not trying to make this an anti smoking deal, just a discussion.

Thanks again
Jetblue15

BandA

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:23 am

I am almost 100% positive that all JAL flights are now strictly non-smoking.
"They [Terrorists] never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." - GWB

bongo

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:36 am

I saw the seat plan of some Aeroflot's airplanes such as the 767, and they still have it on the "Smoking Section".

I don't want to be there  Sad
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

Summa767

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:01 am

Amazingly, Air Berlin still allows smoking on most of its flights. That will change from November, though. And Just as well.

PU707

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:11 am

BONGO:

I recently flew on Aeroflot 767 and it was all non-smoking. Also the domestic flights I took on the A320 were non-smoking. The airline claims to have all
non-smoking flights throughout their network since March 31, 2002.

"Siempre al servicio de la libertad"

jasepl

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:21 am

Okay, I have a question. It seems like I've been living on Mars or something, but what does the shoe bomber guy have to do with smoking?

BREmer

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:38 am

Hapag-Lloyd still allows smoking as well. Also due to change shortly! THANK GOD! (nothing like a non-smokers seat in the row before the smoking section - blaugh!)

Lukas

IndianFlyboy

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:40 am

7LBAC111,

All Air India flights are non smoking , been that way for ages , wonder where you heard that from .

Regards

Starlionblue

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:43 am

Seems really dangerous to me that any carrier would still allow smoking aboard.

Not really dangerous if nothing else burns. Obnoxióus yes,,,
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

dbo861

Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:06 am

In 1996, I flew on TWA, and I remember them saying smoking was not allowed on flights shorter than 6 hours.

FoxBravo

Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:11 am

Both JAL and ANA finally banned smoking on long-haul flights in the spring of 1998. I remember because I was in Japan at the time. My trip there was a long, smoky flight from NY (the economy cabin on JAL's 747s was so small that there was hardly any separation between smoking and non!), but when I returned home it was blissfully smoke-free. Quite a difference!  Smile
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

greatansett

Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:30 am

I have an AN ticket from 2000 which has smoking or non-smoking.
Ron Paul 2012

airxliban

Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:33 am

olympic could be a possible candidate.

i know that MEA does not allow smoking but that people try to smoke anyway.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

andyhunt
Crew

Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:57 am

Domestic flights in China are non-smoking

Andrew
Full frame always beats post processing

Starlionblue

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:00 am

IIRC ANA and/or JAL brought back smoking since their loads on certain domestic flights plummeted after they banned it. But I may have a hazy recall. Maybe it's all the smoke  Big grin

[Edited 2004-08-25 23:17:21]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

5NEOO

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:04 am

I imagine that there a few airlines that allow smoking still that fly regionally in Africa and Asia.

Is this assumption of yours based on prior knowledge of the laws of the respective countries, or is it based on stereotype?

Smoking is banned in all public places in Nigeria, thus being applicable to all airlines flying within our borders. However, I do not think its ever been (or will be) enforced. Besides that, the odds of you sitting next to a passenger who decides to 'light one up', are very slim; smoking is not a popular habit in this country.

I on the other hand enjoy it.

Admit it, you could care less about the continent Africa!

moose1226

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:12 am

El Al does not allow smoking on any flight. I was reciently on an El AL 747 between JFK and TLV and I can confirm this. I'm sure that they have thought up some security reason for this policy in addition to the other obvious reasons.

My grandparents flew on Olympic a few years ago (I think cerca 2000) and they said that you could smoke on the flight.

[Edited 2004-08-25 23:13:06]

RCS763AV

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:22 am

Air France allowed smoking like 3 years ago. They had a little room on their A340s....i remeber dad saying it was glory to go back there, oh, smokers....yuck!

hz747300

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:36 am

Okay, I have a question. It seems like I've been living on Mars or something, but what does the shoe bomber guy have to do with smoking?

The shoe bomber was caught because he was trying to light the fuse to his shoes and smell of the attempt (I think it was a match, maybe the shoe burning) caught the attention of a flight attendant. If, he were on a smoking flight, the smell would have gone unnoticed, catastrophe would have struck, and there would have been some very satisfied sharks in the north Atlantic.

Is this assumption of yours based on prior knowledge of the laws of the respective countries, or is it based on stereotype?

I based it on stereotype. More for Asia, as I have not traveled around Africa since the early 90s. The fervent anti-smoking during flying push originated from the US, UK, then I think relunctantly, Europe. Historically, laws like that which affect travel between two countries do not necessarily have to be followed for travel locally for either party.

In Portugal for example, in June 2001, I remember people smoking the subway stations. My favorite memory is the conductor, getting off the train at the stop, taking three quick puffs of a cigarette, and then extinguishing it against the side of the train before getting back on and closing the doors.
Keep on truckin'...

afay1

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:42 am

Smoking is banned on all Aeroflot flights, but people still get away with it in the lavs....

beachthing

Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:23 am

"Is this assumption of yours based on prior knowledge of the laws of the respective countries, or is it based on stereotype?"

+

"Smoking is banned in all public places in Nigeria, thus being applicable to all airlines flying within our borders. However, I do not think its ever been (or will be) enforced"

=

The irony is killing me...

PIA747SV747

Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:40 am

I know that PIA and Air India no longer allow smoking on their flights!

IL76TD

Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:43 am

RCS763 -

I was on one of those flights on AF when they made you go into the little area that was curtained off from the rest of the plane. It was kind of nasty in there, but as I was smoking back then, made the flight quite enjoyable and I met many more people than I would have normally on a flight and had some great conversations, it was almost like a mini lounge area, I think if other airlines did it (without the smoking part) it would be a hit.

waketurbulence

Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:38 am

So in a closed environment where everyone shares air, how is the smoke contained in the a/c smoking section? I am somewhat allergic to smoke, plus I just don't like it at all. If I were on a smoking flight, would I be able to tell in a non-smoking section?
-Matt

A340600

Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:44 am

Back in 1997 on Caledonian, my poor Dad got stuck in the middle of the smoker section on the DC-10 at the back and he used to smoke but stopped so even worse for him!

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

unitedkatw

Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:16 am

All I know for sure is that I would never want to be on a flight where smoking is allowed. Do any of the alliances have policies that their airlines cannot permit smoking?

nwafflyer

Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:25 am

Hey, I am a smoker, and have no problems not smoking on a plane - no matter how long the flight -- BUT, I do have a problem with heavy perfume, aftershave, and worst of all, dirty.

myszek

Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:04 am

Ultimately I agree with most of you - smoking should be banned from all airlines. Mostly because having smoking and non-smoking sections on a plane does not make any sense. In such a closed space, everybody is affected and they should not have to be. However, the tone of many of your posts is something I disagree with. "I flew such and such and it was so terrible experience...". Was there no choice of carrier on your route? It reminds me a compliant I read in one of the travel magazines a few years ago. An elderly couple from US found this great deal to get to Italy on AZ. They had a terrible experience too (they sat next to the smoking section). My only reaction to that complaint was "you get what you paid for". Didn't want to be on a plane with smokers? Pay more and fly DL.
I guess AZ banned smoking now (and I definitely did not mean to single them out). But in times when there are multiple carriers that can take you from point A to point B, the only legitimate complain I can see is from the crew. They do not have as much choice as the passengers do.

ltbewr

Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:53 am

I believe that the USA was the first to ban smoking on domestic flights, then international flights to/from the USA less than 6 hours, then the law was extented all flights within and to/from the USA. The first step was due to a law sponsored by Senator Lautenberg (D-NJ) with support of others in the Senate and Congress whom were anti-smoking. There was also broad support by many non-, anti-, ex-smokers, flight attendents and airline executives in the USA. Airlines liked it as it eliminated the conflicts at the borders of the smoking/non-smoking zones, seating problems, a/c interiors and ventilation systems were cleaner, didn't have to clean ashtrays, and f/a's weren't exposed to the 2nd hand smoke. Many US and non-US airlines quickly adopted the non-smoking polices, except for flights to Asia, especially as to Japan. I would suggest that flights between the US and Japan, especially JAL's flights were among the last to allow smoking in flight.

Indio66

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:20 pm

I personally lit up a cleopatra on an Egypt Air flight from Cairo to Luxor in late 1999. I think it was an A300 or A310. Maybe Horus can give us an update.

Best part, business class seat was ony $5 more than coach.

I am not a smoker, but I could not resist! And grab me a Stella beer while your at it!

7673mech

Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:28 pm

Jetblue:
It would probably be easier to look it up yourself.
70% of the responses here are speculation or old information.

EK345

Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:11 pm

A couple of years ago I remember looking at a Saudi Arabian seatmap for their 747s and I remember distinctly seeing smoking sections. My best guess is that this is still allowed unless things have changed.

All Saudi Arabian flights are non-smoking flights now.

EK345
"and miles to go before I sleep..."

BCAL

Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:52 pm

Talking on the topic to British people living in Spain last year, they said they always flew with Spanair or Iberworld rather than BA or any British charter airline since Spanair/Iberworld planes still had smoking sections. I do not know if this is still the case but smoking is popular with Spanish people, so it might be a while before their airlines totally forbid it.

MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Summa767

Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:27 pm

Just checked Spanair's website: Only one flight remains where smoking is allowed. That is Madrid to Equatorial Guinea.

jonty

Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:21 pm

I flew with iberworld last year from glasgow to malaga and it was all non smoking. I hated it when you could smoke on aeroplanes coz its like being in a bar, you leave and you and your clothes stink of smoke!
Is iberia non smoking, coz i would have thaught considering the ammount spanish people smoke they would allow it!
Do new aeroplanes have no smoking signs, coz they aren't really needed!
On one flight, i forget which, the captain used the smoking sign to indicate that the cabin crew could get up and then turned it back on again!

Starlionblue

Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:23 pm

Do new aeroplanes have no smoking signs, coz they aren't really needed!

Some new planes have "no electronic device usage" signs instead.

rwylie77

Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:48 pm

Hz747300 - I'm sorry, but there is no link whatsoever to smoking on flights and the attempt by the shoe bomber.

Smoking simply isn't allowed on planes because it is unfair in such a confined environment to force non-smokers to breathe in smokers carcinogens. Air is limited on a plane and there is no escaping from the smokers - fortunately, governments across the globe are thinking less about their tax revenue from cigarrettes and are doing the decent thing - banning smoking in public spaces.

If there was more of a concern about another attempt by a shoe bomber, people would simply be banned from taking on board matches or lighters, which they are not. Instead, security at the airport check for large shoes instead, which is a completely different discussion!

7LBAC111

Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:08 pm

Rwylie - I dont think HZ747300 was saying there was a link between the shoe bomber and smoking.

The shoe bomber was caught because he was trying to light the fuse to his shoes and smell of the attempt (I think it was a match, maybe the shoe burning) caught the attention of a flight attendant. If, he were on a smoking flight, the smell would have gone unnoticed, catastrophe would have struck, and there would have been some very satisfied sharks in the north Atlantic.
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

BCAL

Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:09 pm

Thanks Summa767 and Jonty for correcting me. Guess both carriers called the ban sooner than I expected!

Being a smoker I accept that it is unfair to allow smoking in a confined environment. One thing that totally annoyed me when smoking was allowed, and smokers had to sit in the rear of the plane, was the duty free sales. The duty free cart always started from the front of the plane and the non-smokers grabbed up all the cigarettes so by the time the cart got to the smoking section, there was little left for us to buy! Tried ordering some in advance, but the flight crew always told me nobody bothered with the advance sale requests so it was pointless filling them in!

MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

ATAflyer

Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:23 am

I was on the first flight after 9/11 SVO-JFK on AEROFLOT 767, and there was a large smoking area at the rear of the plane..as stated earlier, this has been discontinued.
Just FYI, I was on a Lufthansa 707 as a kid, on a trans-Atlantic flight, and the left side was all smoking, the right side of the plane was non-smoking. How about that?! I figured it was because some of the smokers wanted to sit in the front...
Have a good day all!
A better way to fly

planemannyc

Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:58 am

indio66,

In May 2002, I flew EgyptAir from JFK to CAI and was very surprised to hear them announce that the last row is ok for smoking. They were trying to be low key about this because when I asked (my ex-wife smoked), the attendant looked a bit hesitant and the reaction made me feel that they were a bit shy about broadly announcing this fact just in case  Smokin cool lead to  Pissed passengers.

I wonder if they still have that policy in effect.

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

luisde8cd

Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:19 am

Santa Barbara Airlines allows smoking in their CCS-MAD-CCS and CCS-TFS-CCS flights. Their ads in the newspaper mention their smoking section. They say: "Smokers: enjoy flying to Spain in our smoking-section, at no additional cost". They fly DC-10s