ckfred

What Could Happen To Star Alliance

Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:28 am

UA is a long way from shutting down, but a lot of analysts believe that the pension situation may have irreparably harmed employee morale and prospects for long-term survival.

If UA does go out of business, what is the future of Star Alliance? Part of the reason for its existance is that the various non-U.S. carriers have access to the U.S., the largest air travel market.

Could Star survive without a U.S. carrier? Or would it go looking for a replacement for UA?

The most likely replacement would be AA. Would AA leave Oneworld? Or would it try to take some, if not all of the Oneworld members into Star?

Just curious as to what people think.

godbless

RE: What Could Happen To Star Alliance

Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:36 am

Is US Airways not from the States? Insane

Max

mozart

Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:52 am

Max, I thought the same thing. But then, I think US alone would not be able to compensate for the loss of UA.

And also, many people around this forum believe that US will sink before UA would. I don't have any facts to have an opinion on that (but I hope both will prosper!), but there you go, noone would think US would be a good gap filler.

ei2ksea

Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:00 am

How about a mix of US, HP and AS to fill the US gap - theres many European airline sin Star, why not do the same in the USA so that when one goes down, not all of your eggs are in 1 basket. Hubs then availiable at LasVegas, Phoenix, Seattle, Charlotte, Philadelphia with a heavy western presence and northeastern US network from DCA, BOS and LGA.

Just my thoughts to add to yours.  Wink/being sarcastic

Regards
Ph
Next Flight: DUB-BOS (EI), BOS-DEN-PDX (SWA), SEA-BOS (AS)

ckfred

Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:00 am

The only reason US is in Star is because of its codeshare arrangement with UA. BA's alliance with US didn't work that well, which led to BA joining forces with AA.

US can feed traffic for trans-Atlantic service at BOS and PHL. CLT just doesn't do that well as a connecting hub for international service.

bustaphil

Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:01 am

You have besides from US also AC left! So you'd have 2 Star carriers for the North American Market!
But I know that these airlines could never fill the gap of UA!

Kind regards from Brazil

Phil

[Edited 2004-08-26 20:02:18]
FLYING the best thing on earth!!!

northstardc4m

Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:01 am

STAR would likely pick up someone else fairly quickly, my guess is they would woo either Delta or Continental away from Skyteam, probably which ever one gained LHR authority. But i seriously doubt UA will fail first, if at all.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

SafetyDude

Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:11 am

HP and AS to fill the US gap
Both are stronger candidates for One World and Sky Team.

STAR would likely pick up someone else fairly quickly, my guess is they would woo either Delta
What would happen to Sky Team?  Wink/being sarcastic

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"