Topic Author
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 8:55 pm

Transfer Via Beijing

Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:12 am


I am planning to fly CPH-ICN via PEK. Is there an international transfer zone at PEK or do I have to apply for the transit visa? Anybody knows?

Posts: 10071
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:32 am

RE: Transfer Via Beijing

Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:18 am


I visited Beijing a few weeks ago and cannot remember seeing a transit zone. It might be best to get a Chinese visa anyway, just in case your connecting flight is delayed/ cancelled and you have to be put up in a hotel. You would also have to find out if the 90 Yuan departure tax applies on transfers.



[Edited 2004-08-26 22:19:49] is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun May 13, 2001 11:59 pm

RE: Transfer Via Beijing

Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:18 am

I know that US citizens have to get a transit visa if they are just transiting through China. I would imagine that is the same for other nationalities since it probably means there is no transfer zone, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 1840
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:55 am

RE: Transfer Via Beijing

Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:09 pm

PEK has an transit zone. I stayed there 3 years ago. But it was a flight MUC-PEK-SHA with China Eastern. But I had to leave my airplane and to wait in the transit area only to entering the same plane again one hour later. But I dont know about a transit visa because we went to SHA and so we already had an Chinese visa.
Hope that helps a little bit.
Posts: 852
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 12:06 am

RE: Transfer Via Beijing

Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:07 pm

Unless you carry a US or UK passport you don't need a transit visa if you'll be connecting onward within 24 hours AND staying in the airport. If you wish to leave the airport, you'll need to get a transit visa. If you DO carry a US passport, you'll need a visa unless you can change your arrangements to transit PVG or SHA instead of PEK.
Posts: 5147
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2000 4:57 am

RE: Transfer Via Beijing

Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:38 pm

I can confirm, that I didn't need a visa when I had a transfer from FNJ to KIX via PEK. I flew on JS and JL. I'm not holding a UK or US passport.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok
Topic Author
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2001 8:55 pm

RE: Transfer Via Beijing

Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:56 pm

Thanks to everyone!

I was in PEK last year and I remember seeing a separate passage for transit passengers, but I was not sure. The Chinese embassy was useless in this matter - they had no idea....

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos