WindowSeat
Topic Author

Meet In SFO /// Sept 25th & 26th

Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:15 am

Hello Everyone,

I will be in SFO the weekend of Sept 25th, arriving Friday the 24th and leaving Sunday the 26th late evening. If anyone is interested in going spotting, I'm all for it. Or if you just wants to meet up for a few drinks, that'd be cool too.

So, I guess two things;

1) Any good areas for spotting in and around SFO?

2) Any of you in the area, or anyone willing to fly out there, up for a meet that weekend? Sept 24th - Sept 26th.

Hoping to see some of you that weekend.

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

stirling

RE: Meet In SFO /// Sept 25th & 26th

Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:24 am

Your timing STINKS Pal!  Smile
I was just there last weekend, but this weekend is a 'kid' weekend.....

As for spotting, ever since the bus staging area closed, I have been pretty bummed. However, there is someone on a.net who posted the address of a guy who has some very well detailed info on spotting locations just south of the airport. Lots of arrivals....
What I am looking for is a good spot to catch the takeoffs, so someplace up around the UA MX base. It's my personal "Holy Grail"!
Delete this User

as739x

Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:28 am

I'm in.........sent me a message and we can arrange a place!

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

copaair737

Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:11 am

I may come...it depends if I can get down from Eureka or not. If I can, I am definitely in...

-Copa
ACV
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

dinker225

Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:19 am

I'm trying to come. No guarantees from me though. Hope it works out.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

DIA

Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:45 am

I'll be there, I'm flying -- SFO-LAX on September 25th. I'm catching an A^A flight at 12:30pm. So I'll be at the airport between 10:30am and 11:00am. Where specifically were you planning to spot? Not perhaps the A^A drop off area? Laugh out loud Yeah, I know, probably not.

Ideas?

Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:55 am

Hey DIA,

are you flying to SFO anyway, or did you just book flights for this trip?

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

DIA

Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:03 am

I've had this trip booked for some time now. It's a quick 'out-and-back" family trip this time. But, I'd be more than happy to say, "hello" if it wouldn't be pulling you all way out of your way.

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:17 pm

Hey DIA,

I'm not sure exactly where we will be, depends on what info the locals provide about spotting and how many people actually do show up. I'm hoping to have a good amount of people. Even if there are not many spotting areas, it'll be just fun to hang out with everyone talking about aviation!

I'll keep you posted.

cheers

sllevin

Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:19 pm

If there's something on the 25th during the evening I might be able to come up. I'm heard off for Ireland for three weeks on the 26th.

Steve

DIA

Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:15 am

WindowSeat: Sounds good. I'll keep checking in for updates. . .

Cheers

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:01 am

DIA,

Cool! I hope we can make it to the airport at that hour. I'm going to try my best.

Sllevin,

Glad you can make it in the evening. We may be spotting during the day, but after all, there's nothing like a good beer after a day's spotting! So, we look forward to seeing you then. Watch this thread for more...

cheers

OH-LGA

Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:40 am

I may be able to make it out on the 25th... luckily that's one of my days off  Smile I work the night before. Feel free to send me a message and we'll go from there. That or I can TRY to remember to check this thread  Big grin

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:05 am

Kai,

Glad you can make it. Nothing is set in stone yet. Any sugestions? I'll also send you an e mail to confirm as we come nearer to the date.

cheers

soaringadi

Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:20 am

Hey Window seat,
It would be nice to have you here. Can you tell me where you would be staying ?? So that we could probably decide a spot for spotting.
And I'll try my best to be there (i.e. if I get time from college).

Send me an e-mail if you can.

Enjoy your trip  Smile

[Edited 2004-08-30 03:20:42]
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:27 am

hey soaringadi,

i am staying at The Palace Hotel in San Francisco. Don't know exactly where it is and not quite sure how to get to the hotel. I arrive around 10 pm on Delta from JFK, so Friday is out (I'd be up for a few drinks though Big grin). Maybe something on Saturday or Sunday. Feel free to suggest something. Send me an e-mail if you come up with something at crazypilot@gmail.com.

Anyone else with suggestions, please post a reply or e mail me. Thanks

cheers

legacyins

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:05 pm

The Palace Hotel is located in Downtown SF on Market street. If you take BART from SFO, get off at Montgomery Street. The hotel is only a few yeards from the BART station.

copaair737

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:54 pm

Just email me the info someone, ill try to make it if i can

-Copa
ACV

Vote Biafra in '04

as739x

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:51 pm

Copa....you better show. Need to meet you!
I'll be there on Sat. guys! I have to work at 5am on Sun.

If we do this maybe I can get AS to fly " Spirit of Disneyland" in. I could try at least!

ASSFO

copaair737

Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:07 am

Ill try to get down there. No guarantee, but I will try. It ought to be a fun saturday.

-Copa

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:00 am

Legacyins,

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the BART schedules. Are you coming for the meet? I would like to invite you.

As739x,

Nice to know you can make it. The final plan has not been finalized yet. I want some locals to suggest spotting locations and proposed meeting places etc. I'm up for anything. Thoughts?

cheers

khushdesi

Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:18 am

two good spotting location are the elephant bar and el torito, which are located on the road that run south of the airport. they both face the water and have tons of windows and tables from which you can watch all the planes landing. elephant bar is the better choice, better food and better drinks, but there can be a wait. but who cares about that, because you can just go outside and do some spotting!

Superfly

Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:48 am

WindowSeat:
Hey I'll b up for it!
I live here in San Francisco and work just a few blocks from the Palace Hotel.
I know a cool aviation themed bar/cafe on Market street too. I've taken a few A.net members there when they come to town and visit.

As far as spotting at SFO, across from the Doubletree (?) in Millbrae you can catch planes on final approach across the water.

Send me an email if you like.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:10 pm

Superfly,

Thanks. Just sent you an e mail.

Khushdesi,

Great suggestions. I will check it out. Are you coming?

Well, I guess a few have shown interest, so this is definitely a go. If anyone who's interested can please e mail me at crazypilot@gmail.com that'll be great! That way we can keep each other informed of our plans.

cheers

as739x

Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:49 pm

There are many great spots really (All things considered with all the water). Almost anywhere along the hotel row on the southeast side. The week before we could possibly plan on a spot. If we were to meet in that area, it would require you to take Bart to the airport. Then catch a bus to Airport Blvd., or someone with a car could get you. I'm up for it!

Another spot that could it the San Bruno Ave. bridge (over 101) while the Asia flights, and a few Hawaii birds, are departing. That spots only good from 1130a-130p or so.

ASSFO

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:08 am

As739x,

Thank you for bringing that up. Actually, I can take the BART to the airport and then someone will have to ferry me around all day or I could rent a car. But if you are offering then I'll take up the offer. Thanks!

You are right, we should plan on the spotting location the week before and possibly scout for places for lunch/dinner/drinks, whatever we decide on. I'm sending you an e mail with my cellphone number, so you have it.

cheers

Superfly

Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:35 am

I guess I could be a taxi.  Smile

I can pick you up from the hotel or meet you somewhare. BART cost $4.95 to exit at SFO.  Pissed
That's more than the fare out to Bay Point (the fathest BART destination).
Bring back the Concorde

MD11Lover

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:08 am

Im in the SF area. Message me for details. Would love to go. SFO is great for spotting.

Md11lover

as739x

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:42 am

Windowseat...I'm at work and am blocked from Hotmail (due to virus's) by Alaska. I will be in touch via e-mail soon. Looks like we can get good amount of people together!

Will message you Md11lover....

ASSFO

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:50 am

hey MD11lover,

Your contact is withheld and I cannot send you an e mail to confirm. Could you please e mail me at crazypilot@gmail.com so that we can stay in touch.

Glad you can make it!

cheers

Superfly

Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:23 am

WindowSeat:
Are you really a crazy pilot?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Bring back the Concorde

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:25 am

Superfly,

My FAA examiner seemed to think so. haha.

I did very steep turns 150 ft AGL while dumping flaps in a simulated engine-out procedure during my PPL checkride to line the baby up for the runway (Had to do S-turns to lose altitude). My FAA examiner calmly said, "That's a sure shot way to get yourself killed, son". In case you're curious, I passed the checkride. Big grin

cheers

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:40 am

So, is that it? No more people in SFO that can go spotting or for a few drinks.

cheers

ba757

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:46 am

So, is that it? No more people in SFO that can go spotting or for a few drinks.

No!

Everyone else is going to AMS for the meet that weekend :P

Adam

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:45 am

BA757,

You think thats funny?!?!?!

ba757

Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:40 am

You think thats funny?!?!?!

Yes !

Adam

SJC-Alien

Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:29 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ben Wang

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Chen

..and the photo above should explain all.....Ben probably took this photo standing water-side above the hump of the 744..

From SJC Alien:

MAYBE..if you all meet, this photo can be put to rest for all of the people who aren't from around here. I am sure, Ben Wang(whom I know well) will be more than glad to make this spot available to all who show up, and thereby put to rest by association(and maybe more photos of similar) to be able to get the word out this is not a fake photo. I have many photos from 20+ years ago of L-1011's and 727's and DC-10's and such...of the same type of photos taken from the same area. My photos are prints and slides, I just don't have the experise on slide and print scanning to pass the screeners editing.(see my photos under Tom Vance) and you'll see why I have few photos on A.net. I can't scan! No biggie. I still like all the photos I see here.
For people who have been sending Ben Wang e-mails privately on this photo and suggesting it is a fake is jumping the gun! SFO is a small airport area wise with water hindering on the east. The 28L-R runways are very close together and those of you who have never been to where Ben has taken his photo shouldn't cast doubt without all the facts. The photos below are taken from the same point by Manas Barooah, whom I know also. There are many photos like this. The reason Ben's photos are so dramatic is the choice of camera used! If I could afford a camera like that, I'd be up there with him all the time getting the same photos!(I have switched to mainly video anyway nowadays)Manas, Jason Whitebird, Mark Durbin and all of the rest of the SFO area photographers who all hang together when able....can easily get photos like this. I've seen the other threads and just laugh them off as uninformed....but to send private e-mails suggeting fake photos is not good,,,even if they are e-mails from France!

The photos below, not by Ben,,show how close the runways are,,,even allowing for "telephoto' compression....for those of you who don't understand what 'telephoto' compression means....see the photos and notice how close the jets look, they are actually seperated by several hundred feet. The angle of the photo based on the where the photographer was standing, is a big factor in making it look close,,or compressed.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manas Barooah

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manas Barooah

notice the 28L pavement on the L of this jet in the above photo...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manas Barooah

View Large View Medium

Photo © I. Gunawan

View Large View Medium

Photo © I. Gunawan

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manas Barooah

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manas Barooah

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Durbin

On Mark's take off shot above here...notice the proximity of 28R below the 744 departing SFO from 28L. Ben's photo is not a fake for those who think it is!

Anyways...Windowseat--I should be able to make it up there on the 25th..keep me posted thru 'profile'..I am sure some of the other locals will show up too. I'll check with the guys on our local yahhoogroup and see who is going.....maybe we'll get some photos like this!!
Later,
SJC Alien

ndebelebev

Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:16 am

Wow. It would've been great to fly out to SFO just to spot planes but I'll be at the AMS Meet that weekend.

If I'm ever over that way again I'll post a thread and meet up with some of you guys.

Have a good weekend.

Regards

Ndebelebev
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:35 am

SJC-Alien,

WOW!! Thanks for the insighful post. Glad to hear that you can make it. As we get closer I'll let you know the details.

cheers

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:40 am

Hello everyone,

Just kinda trying to gauge how many of you in the SFO area can make it on the 25th. As we are only 10 days out from the weekend, I am sort of compiling a list of people who can meet on the 25th or the 26th. Would you please e mail me through my profile or on crazypilot@gmail.com if you are going to meet us on the 25th.

Looking forward to meeting some fellow A.netters.

cheers

SJC-Alien

Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:48 pm

Window-seat
I sent you an e-mail thru profile. I'll post a note on our local group...but no clue on how many will show that I don't know.!!

SJC Alien

WindowSeat
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:55 am

Cool, thanks SJC-Alien. Hope to see you next weekend.

cheers

tbear815

Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:08 pm

Hey gentlemen,

Just heard about this. Don't know my schedule yet, but would love to join you. If it hasn't been said, the area just Bayside of the SFO Marriott has a great view of incoming everything and outgoing internationals. The big guys need that length to get lift!

Let me know what finalized plans you may have. I don't have a collection of photos, but remember Mills Field before the first SFO was built (and I'm not that old - I'm a native!). Lots of first time events there - the first jet arrival, JA's DC-8 water landing, the first jumbos, and more. I could bore (or enlight you) with lots of memorabilia....Love airline/aircraft talk!

Be in touch,

Tbear

tbear815

Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:09 pm

Hey gentlemen,

Just heard about this. Don't know my schedule yet, but would love to join you. If it hasn't been said, the area just Bayside of the SFO Marriott has a great view of incoming everything and outgoing internationals. The big guys need that length to get lift!

Let me know what finalized plans you may have. I don't have a collection of photos, but remember Mills Field before the first SFO was built (and I'm not that old - I'm a native!). Lots of first time events there - the first jet arrival, JL's DC-8 water landing, the first jumbos, and more. I could bore (or enlight you) with lots of memorabilia....Love airline/aircraft talk!

Be in touch,

Tbear

IndianFlyboy

Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:41 pm

Like Stirling said , your timing is baaaad  Smile , was there for a month and nothing of this sort came up ....

Enjoy yourself guys

Regards

777-500er

Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:24 pm

Hey you guys!

Can I come? I'd love to come to the meeting!

Michael SFO
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy

xpfg

Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:47 am

I'll be there!  Smile
Cameron Bowerman

as739x

Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:53 am

OK...well looks like things are coming together. I will start a second thread. We should plan on one place to meet. I'm guessing the park would be a good place. Easy to see everyone standing there. Everyone agree?

So we have:for Sat.

Wndowseat
Cameron B
Michael SFO
TBear
Copa's -maybe
Dinker -maybe
Kai -maybe
and myself ASSFO

anyone else, the more the better! If its a go I'll try and get N784AS (Disneyland) thru.

ASSFO

aeronuts

Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:14 am

Best spot for approaches (from So. Bay) is Coyote Point, by the boats. It'll cost you $5 to get in, but well worth the money on a clear day. Only time it's bad is when we get the off shore flow, and landing is from E. Bay.

as739x

Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:36 am

To far. Not everyone has cars Aeronuts......I say that park is a good starting spot. Down by the boats is to far under the planes for photo's. Lets not spend $5 for that.

ASSFO

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos