BMI701EGCC
Topic Author

How Are BMI British Midland Doing?

Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:05 am

Hi Guys,

I heard last month that BMI's chairman spoke out and said there not making money throughout any of their services(also posted on A.net). One pritty steep statement don't you think?

So now about one month on, have they started to make profit? They're launching the MAN-LAS flights on November 1st, first few flights a fully booked which is a good sign.

personally i don't think they'll go down, but with what the chairman said it could happen at some stage.

Your thoughts guys....
G-PATI-"G-PATI, Back inbound to Barton"MCT APR-"G-PATI, Continue, Keep lookout on VFR traffic"

oerk

RE: How Are BMI British Midland Doing?

Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:15 am

I still want to know if they are serious about making MAN a 'star alliance hub.'

JeffDCA

Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:17 am

personally i don't think they'll go down

But i wouldn't rule out a takover by an airline such as VS.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

whitehatter

Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:49 am

VS have as much chance of buying out British Midland as I do of getting pregnant.

Michael Bishop HATES Branson (and rightly so after the snake tricks he's pulled in the past on BD), and SAS/Lufthansa would have to agree.

If anything, a LH takeover is more likely.

On the upside, British Midland loads are quite healthy and WW is expanding/refocussing. BMIbaby is, if anything, short of aircraft at the moment. The business looks to have started to turn the corner.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

steve7e7

Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:59 am

VS have as much chance of buying out British Midland as I do of getting pregnant

Whitehatter,you've obviously never come across the Immaculate Conception then  Laugh out loud

I agree that they seem to be turning the corner,my hope is that they stay independent for a long time to come.Some of their battles with BA are legendary and it would be a crying shame to see the classic fighting spirit sold abroad.

kl911

Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:08 am

BD's fighting spirit will serve VS well, and Branson has stated often that he would like to take over BD. SK and LH will have as much to say as the other shareholders, of which Bishop is the biggest. Business is Business and everything is possible, if they like eachother or not....

whitehatter

Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:24 am

Another seemingly insignificant issue is money. Branson isn't as wealthy as you might think.

Try reading "Branson" by Tom Bower. It'll enlighten you on just how close VS has been to shutting the doors on several occasions, and I somehow don't think Singapore will happily pony up the best part of a billion without some searching questions.

Virgin is in no condition to bid for anyone. Branson wanted BD on the cheap, and Bishop/LH/SK will have no part in his financial shennanigans with shares and debt.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...