BMI701EGCC
Topic Author

Virgin And MAN

Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:12 am

Hi Guys,

Just wondering will Virgin will ever increase their destinations at MAN? I no they are swapping the 747-200 classics for the 747-400 model for Orlando flights, but thats about it.

Scott Waterworth
BMI701EGCC
G-PATI-"G-PATI, Back inbound to Barton"MCT APR-"G-PATI, Continue, Keep lookout on VFR traffic"

whitehatter

RE: Virgin And MAN

Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:22 am

Virgin have codeshares and contracts with SQ, BD and others. Virmin Holidays is taking space on the Las Vegas and Carribbean BD flights.

There have been rumours about a potential JFK service but they are just rumours at this stage. Looking at the business Continental do MAN-EWR and the weak BA product to JFK there is a definite opening there.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

VS4ever

Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:42 am

I would love to see VS or anybody else for that matter start a true "base" at MAN for transatlantic/inter-continental.

Many people from the midlands and the north (particularly myself), hate travelling down to LHR and worse LGW for the direct flights (my personal preference).

Personally, I think the expansion at MAN has been simply fantastic, new routes, different airlines and by the sounds of it good customer service.

But I think VS is missing a trick by not expanding thus far, from what could be a potentially lucrative market. Codeshares aside, if VS wants (and I have no idea if they want) to be a genuine BA competitor or better, MAN wouldn't be the worst place in the world to attack from.

Come on SRB, the people of the north are waiting (lol)

If VS don't do it, then BD certainly should, as they are highly unlikely to get the LHR slots they so desperately crave.

Just my input.
Bring Back Orion Airways, you were the best!

jetset7e7

Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:47 am

They are adding extra MCO flights in the afternoon, next month, and the following month using 744 aircraft postioning in from LGW

Mark
Retrofitted Blended Winglets - The Future Is On The Wing

gkirk

Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:28 am

I dont think they've really got the right size of a/c for MAN on business routes. Sure the 747 is great for Orlando flights, but probably not JFK,LAX,SFO etc. An A330 or B767 Would be better sized for these
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

whitehatter

Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:03 am

They do have a number of A340s in the fleet...not all are due to come off lease just yet
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...