Danny
Topic Author

737 Rudder

Sun Feb 27, 2000 7:42 am

Okay, I might be behind here, but I want to straighten things out.
A little now and then there are some comments about the B737 and their rudder problems. Evey time there is a discussion about Boeing or the 737, people (Airbus lovers) tend to bring up the same old thing. The rudder.

So, I just wanted to know - how many times has a 737 gone down because of a malfunction in the rudder? When was the last time? Is there a similar malfunction on the 737NG's? How come that most airlines have the 737 and that it is one of the most (if not THE most) flown airplane today if there is such a malfunction?

Please, throw me a bone here...
Tnx

leon

RE: 737 Rudder

Sun Feb 27, 2000 7:57 am

My question is: did they ever fix it? I think that the FAA ordered revisions didn't do the job since I know at least one US Airways flight experienced a rudder upset after "correction". Good question about the NG. I don't know the answer. I don't fly on 737s unless there is no other choice. But I am no airbus lover--they always seem underpowered compared to almost any Boeing model.

Danny
Topic Author

Sun Feb 27, 2000 8:04 am

That's just one of the things I want to know - is the problem fixed? I've flown the 737 many times and I've never experienced any problems... I don't know. I trust the 737...old and new ones.

leon

Sun Feb 27, 2000 8:28 am

I trust it when I have to. But it bugs me that no one can really fully explain those accidents.

Danny
Topic Author

Sun Feb 27, 2000 8:41 am

I agree. It's kinda odd that no one has an explanation to what is (was?) going on. But it won't make me stop flying the plane. I like it and trust it like any other.

Sun Feb 27, 2000 11:03 am

Look at Southwest, their fleet is made up entirely of 737s. Haven't heard anything from them having any sort of rudder problem on their aircraft. Although it concerns me if this problem will cause another fatal accident. I know that United and US Airways have told their pilots to increase speed during takeoffs and landings on their 737s in case something did go wrong they have time to correct it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos