justloveplanes

KLM 747-400 IAH To Schipol

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:37 am

Just did a transatlantic roundtrip on KLM Houston to Geneva via Amsterdam on KLM and found the 744 they use quite interesting. I would appreciate any comments on the following:

1) Apparently, it is a Combi passenger/freighter on some or all days from IAH to Schipol.

2) The craft appears to have a mid-cabin "navigation or communication" desk behind a curtain. I saw a flight attendant or somebody with a mic in there. It has a chair desk and a wall full of comm gear of some kind.

3) In ADDITION, just behind business class, they have LONGITUDINALLY split the cabin. On one half there is 3-2 economy section with the 2 interior to the 3 on the window side. The other side appears to be the galley for the whole plane. The inside seat by the wall is actually quite comfy for the non-claustrophobic, you wind up with additional elbow room, I could place my laptop on the floor between the wall and my seal.

All in all, a very innovative setup from both a marketing and passenger standpoint. Service was very nice too, hot towels, snacks, beverage of choice. Hats off to KLM, they gave me a very interesting ride and ran a first class operation all the way.

whiskeyhotel

RE: KLM 747-400 IAH To Schipol

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:50 am

I used to watch that plane make its final right over my driveway every day when I lived in Houston...never realised it was such an odd bird. Hope someone has some info on it. Having read that, am now considering using it to go between EDI and IAH at some point...sure CO is more convenient, but this, I've got to see

B747-437B

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:53 am

The craft appears to have a mid-cabin "navigation or communication" desk behind a curtain

The aircraft doubles as the NATO AWACS backup on certain routes, hence the need for the sophisticated communications gear.

"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

B747-437B

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:55 am

just behind business class, they have LONGITUDINALLY split the cabin. On one half there is 3-2 economy section with the 2 interior to the 3 on the window side

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Sean Mendis

"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Speedbird2025

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:59 am

We actually felt cramped when we flew to AMS about 2 years back. Sitting economy class we felt like a can of sardines (perhaps because the back 1/4 is cargo area and the config is a bit different than the usual 744. However the service was great on KL 661/662. My wifey still remembers those hot towels  Smile Oh and the daily KL 661/662 to AMS is a combi 744...

--Nate

vunz

RE: KLM 747-400 IAH To Schiphol

Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:51 pm

In addition to that ther is a twice weekly 767 flight on fridays ans sundays (KL663/664)

keesje

Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:41 pm

Justloveplanes, the communication center you saw is what we call the purser work station.

It's a kind of office from which the purser can control the IFE, cabin temperature, crew, do ad hoc work and administration and do PA (Pass. Attention) calls.

However most of the time the purser is in the cabin motivating/ supporting crew, talking to passengers etc.

The area you sat in (B-zone) is a flex zone. If demand requires we can put in 10 or 18 WBC seats. In difficult market situations like the last few years it is allocated for M-class.

Nice tro hear you appreciated the service,

Thnx for flying us!

(BTW there is a trip reports section for this kind is topics)
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

globetrekker

Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:50 pm

-Justloveplanes
1) Apparently, it is a Combi passenger/freighter on some or all days from IAH to Schipol.

That is correct

2) The craft appears to have a mid-cabin "navigation or communication" desk behind a curtain. I saw a flight attendant or somebody with a mic in there. It has a chair desk and a wall full of comm gear of some kind.

That is where the Purser (Cabin Manager) does her work, such as making announcements, starting the in-flight movies, control the cabin temperature etc.

3) In ADDITION, just behind business class, they have LONGITUDINALLY split the cabin. On one half there is 3-2 economy section with the 2 interior to the 3 on the window side. The other side appears to be the galley for the whole plane. The inside seat by the wall is actually quite comfy for the non-claustrophobic, you wind up with additional elbow room, I could place my laptop on the floor between the wall and my seal.

They had the same configuration on the now retired 747-200SUD/300's

Dank je for flying KLM and I am glad you had a good time with.

GlobeTrekker

edited for spelling

[Edited 2004-08-31 09:54:04]
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

Airbus340

Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:19 pm

Some years ago I had a KLM 747-400 poster and by the middle of the plane there was an area of covered windows, painted following the blue livery. I always wandered what was behind those windows? I finally guessed there were the resting area of the cabin crew, but I see now that I was wrong. Thanks for that information!

Cheers!

airbus340

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos